Necro Pets - Can they wear Merc jewelry

Discussion in 'Casters' started by NecroXen, Nov 13, 2019.

1. NecroXen New Member

Sorry for the newb question, returned recently and noticed the various merc none/none jewelry.

Specifically the assassins extravagant earring. Can we give these to our pets? It has high ATK. There’s also shoulder neck and waist items. Are these options, or stick to standard “folded” pack items?

Thanks in advance for any replies, input.
  2. Duder Augur

3. Gimple Elder

I know this is an older post, but it's still on the first page so I'm responding....

YES....to add a correction. ALL combat pets can wear merc gear.

Does it stay on the pet after zoning or logging?
    From my experience, YES. I give my pets the DEF merc gear for I think all slots except belt because I give them the dropped belts for the haste on them. I have checked by trying to give them an item after logging and relogging back in with less AC on it and they refuse it because the merc gear has better AC and they hand the other item back to me.

Pets ALWAYS give priority to gear with the highest AC, if it's a weapon the priority goes to lowest weapon delay.

Do the pets gain all the stats from the merc gear?
    This requires a lot of parcing and math and such to really determine....I don't have the time, nor energy, to go that deep. So I don't know "factually" what degree this may be true. All I can offer from my experience/"feeling" is that it makes a difference in my necro pets tanking....in a general way. This point can be argued, of course, but I'll not commit one way or the other on this. I'll leave it to people with more time on their hands to dive into, if they so choose.

Short version, yes they equip the gear and it stays on the pets persistently. How much benefit it gives over other gear is unclear, but it seems to help my pets in general, so I use it.

Your mileage may vary.
  4. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

So...I'm not sure about merc jewelry...how easy it is to obtain or cost.
    That being said what is the route to best equipping my pet? It used to be the summoned blades by a magician, extravagent defiant plate armor & some summoned magician items. Is that still the case?

Help me my pet!
  5. Vizier Augur

Related question: is it still true that any gear a pet takes it will use? Anything it wont use it returns to you now. At least, that's my understanding.
  6. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

My info is probably very outdated, but here goes.

-Defiant rocks, put it on all the slots EXCEPT nothing on Back Slot ever (this is a 'hidden' stat item on pet). Wrist,Ear,Ring they only have one slot.
    -Armor, pet will favor best AC on item. Won't take an item that has less AC than what is currently equipped, even if the new item has other better effects or stats on it.
    -Weapons it favors lowest Delay. Will equip primary and secondary even if they don't have dual wield skill yet.
    -It won't take anything it can't use,except weapons it can use but not Proc (which it will take and attempt to proc but fail), to my understanding. Some pets have a 'class' or maybe more specifically class abilities (like necro rogue pet) which may have a context for 'being able to use a weapon of specific type/Backstab'.
    -If it won't 'take' an item, it is returned to you, and text informs you of that. If you give it an upgrade to an equipped item, it equips the upgrade and the 'lesser' item vanishes with no notice other than 'thanks for the [upgrade item]'.

You may find all sorts of things that are better than Defiant, if it's easy to farm and/or cheap to buy, go for it.

I just learned they could wear merc jewelry myself. Interesting...

**edited** all over the place.

Forgot to mention, and I'm not certain, but I think pets have no Charm, Range, or Ammo slot.
    Deux likes this.
  7. Gimple Elder

The priority of AC and weapon delay are still true, as well as the back slot rule I forgot to mention. The Enhance Minion item you probably have equipped when summoning a pet adds a back item that adds stats and such to make the pet better than it would be if summoned with a "EM" item equipped.

***if you give a pet ANY ITEM that can be equipped in the back slot it will replace this "EM cloak" and, generally, will make the pet WORSE.***

I.E. The old school "Lodi Shield" is a velious item that is a shield that can also be eqipped in the back slot and a pet WILL put it there if it is holding 2 weapons already. So make sure you look at the slots an item is meant for because sometimes they can go into more than one type of slot.

Another point to consider for weapon procs is the proc level stated on the weapon is referring to the PET LEVEL, not the level of the spell that summons the pet. The "con" system will now tell you the exact level of it's target....so "/con" your pet to find it's exact level and then look at the weapon you are about to give to it to determine if the weapon will proc because the pet will take the weapon(as long as it's not a "no drop" weapon) regardless of the proc level. I have made the mistake of equipping a pet a weapon it will not proc and when this happens, you need to make a whole new pet as their is no way to unequip a weapon from a pet.

As far as the gear to use, as a general rule, for pets is summoned gear is fine for leveling...if you run into a T1 named you may need to rune your pet over and over, but you should be fine depending on if the named is a "undercon" or not. For pet gear to be used in raids, or very ambitious scenarios, many people load them up with crafted armor/merc gear/attuneable dropped gear BUT I would not recommend this for everyday use because it can get a little expensive if you tend to die a lot, or the pet dies.

For example, when a new xpac hits(like ToV) I will only use summoned gear on my pet until I hit max level, or I find a really comfortable place to grind out levels I feel confident I won't die very much. Once I get into a "groove" I will give my pet "the good stuff" and rock on. As a necro, the pet FD is far less dependible than using summon companion for wiping agro on him, so I have a "Oh SNAP!" macro. By line, 1. /pet backoff, 2. /alt act (number for summon companion), 3. /pause 7, 4. /alt act (number for DE)....this saves me and my pet, but leaves my healer merc out to dry, but.....oh well....grab a coffee and chill for 5min waiting on merc and rock on. It saves a lot of money in pet gear that way.As far as I know, BST could use this same method but use whatever they use for the uber 100% fade instead of the necro DE. Mages 100% fade is nice, but if it's a named mob in agro range it will reagro you because it will see through invis if your too close.

Hope this helps peeps.
    Deux and MasterMagnus like this.
  8. Bamu New Member

Levant Clears Aggro from all, also from Merc...