Necro or wiz

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Swish, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Swish New Member

I am thinking of rolling into a ranged dps. Tossing both these classes around in my head. Wiz probsbly the higher dps in group and raid but, necro has a little more versatility overall. I am also wondering now that Darkpaw is a thing that there might be a chance of getting the necro dots reworked finally like the rest of the classes?
  2. Alek New Member

Solo or Molo goes to Nec.

Raids and high level groups goes to Wiz.

Simply put, most things die before the Necromancer's DOTS do their thing. This goes for all DOT users.
    Tucoh and menown like this.
  3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I don't think you understand the power of short length dots or necro spheres that currently exist in ToV. Some of the silly mission fights (well, all but GD) are heavy skewed towards burst dps and therefore wizards. But as far as just grinding, and especially with swarm xp group for earring evolving xp, most people I know would want a necro before a wizard.

Except for T2.2 … and maybe the GD mission, necros should beat any wizard on a ToV raid parse...sometimes easily … assuming space for full dots on bosses.

BUT … assuming this is an add to a group … either one will work. If you are just running the toon solo/molo … the wizard is mighty disappointing in current content. There are probably fewer available raid slots for necros than wizards (since there is a limit to how many necros can be useful in a raid).

I know no one does this much anymore … but I'd pick whichever one matches your playstyle/enjoyment more. Cause hopefully you are playing for enjoyment.
  4. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Your responses on group play power will vary wildly. Because the player base varies wildly. Generally speaking though I'd agree with Cragzop's reply. I don't really have nec vs. wizard group parsing data because I rarely group with wizards (MS wizards smell funny).

If you're speaking about the group game I would say necros have a lot more versatility. Necros are simply one of the best (if not the best) in the game when it comes to how many different types of things we can do. Perhaps I'm biased...

As for your last sentence...level 115 necros don't need a dot revamp. I've posted that the wounds line of spells could be re-worked into two spells (instead of 5) but to be 100% clear, the recent change to enhanced decay put necros in a very good position at 115.
    Tornne likes this.
  5. kizant Augur

Wizards are one of EQ's advanced classes that are exceedingly difficult to play and require years of training. I wouldn't really suggest it for someone new to int casters. You may want to work your way up the ladder. First maybe you should master playing mage, enchanter, and necro. At that point you may be able to attempt Wizard but even then I'm sure it'll be difficult.
    Twelvestrings and Tornne like this.
  6. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Once you experience the power of FD you won't want to play any other class. A well played, well geared and AA'd necro can do some amazing things.

And to my friend kizant above...I've played both classes and necros are definitely a higher skill class than a wizard.
  7. EXORCIST New Member

Necro is one of the most powerful/capable classes in the game, if not the most. I recommend highly.
  8. Szilent Augur

definitely top four
  9. Jimbob/Silvarfox Elder

Current trend wizards are not a 100% ranged dps class anymore. Endgame raid wizards for sure are now in there using melee as well as casting due to the mass amount of proc augs and focus items. A major misconception of the wizard is that we just click and boom. There is actually alot more to it then just casting a few spells. I personally love my wizard but it's not a class I would overly reccomend for starting up a ranged dps class. Raid necros are insane dps. They are extremely fun to watch on a parse. Start of event they are bottom of the parse and every tick they jump 3-5 spots on the parse and then in most events sit in the top of the parse by win time. In a group game necrosis can be a powerhouse or they can be horrible. Really comes down to play style. Honestly I would go with a mage myself for a ranged dps class. Huge pet dps as well as strong casting direct damage. And well never need to find pet weapons. But at the same time anyclass can be great if you put in the effort to learn the class and learn how to control the dps.
  10. Waitwhat Elder

I want to click and boom! In fact, I want to click, wait, then BOOOOM!! Meleeing I want to leave to melee classes.
  11. Kylo Elder

Necro are better over all. Wizard comparing to caster wise they are the last class you want to pick.
    Waitwhat likes this.