necro mana regen

Discussion in 'Casters' started by smash, Jun 7, 2022.

1. smash Augur

What kind of tools do necro have for mana regen ?
    Any sort of cannibalize?
    buffs and such ?
  2. zleski Augur

3. Szilent Augur

Disagree with "isn't very good". It's quite strong in its bailiwick at 1535mana/tick, more than equivalent to a perpetual anniversary Feather (1000 mana/tick) which has just 5% uptime per group member - per group member that can be cajoled even into using their Feather on cool down.

Mind Atrophy's substantially stronger than keeping modrods on cool down (they're 700 mana/tick when clicked religiously).

Mind Atrophy by itself is very comparable to brd Chorus (222/tick, mana regens don't multiply by instruments) plus brd Pulse (238/tick) plus brd Crescendo at minimum reuse (1140/tick, rarely achieved)

It does "cost" one spell cast per minute which isn't contributing to the necro's parse ranking. And that's sad. But it is quite good at the job it's doing. My feeling is that if one expects one's team members to contribute to the team's sustain via their mana return abilities, one must be willing to participate via one's own mana return abilities.
    Foaming, Petalonyx and Spacemonkey555 like this.
  4. zleski Augur

The opportunity cost for this spell is very, very high and it often doesn't matter because personal mana regeneration is good across the classes. One must keep this spell memorized and cast it, It's a slow casting spell which means that's damaging spells that aren't being cast, to say nothing of yielding the spell gem.
  5. Beergoggles Elder

In group game no reason not to use mind atrophy. If you're casting dmg especially dots when mob is low life you are literally wasting mana. In raids it's situational, but can be huge for your group especially on nights where raid is short handed or working on achievements and the events are lasting significantly longer than usual. There's also plenty of room in the rotation to cast it between dots needing to be refreshed. Tossing it in after refreshing pyre and extinction before you refresh your poison dots, or after refreshing poison dots and before the long term dots need to be refreshed. There's plenty of spots for it to be dropped without negatively effecting your uptime. Sure you lose a dot or a lifetap from your spell bar depending on the fight and how much you trust your healers, but it's not a significant loss of dps that will cause you to not top the parse.
  6. Silu Elder

In general on raids, our team isn't using it unless we have several sets of deaths in group. We stack 3 necros in one group with enc/brd/dru. If we get more than 2 druid deaths (since they have the worst mana recovery of the healers), or some necros with 2-3 deaths (burning Blood Magic), we'll have one of the necros in group load it to help them stay in mana. Situational, but not unused.

In the group game / lesson burns where you are inefficiently using DoTs to get max XP, I agree with Beergoggles... I use it all the time. Lower recast and cast time would be desirable to allow for better swaps.
  7. Beergoggles Elder

Right in raids it's definitely situational, shouldn't be a part of regular spell lineup. We've had nights with only 30ish people able to show up for raid and events taking up to 35minutes where having mind atrophy memmed was huge for the group to maintain their dps. Has been useful on a couple achievements as well but outside of that it doesn't really have a place in the lineup outside of that and Silu's examples.
    zleski likes this.
  8. zleski Augur

Even on pickup raids (shoutout to Freelance) where groups are based on who shows up and folks aren't always try-harding, I haven't had to use the mind atrophy line on the regular since COV and only really on the arbiter event since it always takes forever.

Don't get me wrong: The spell has its uses and it's okay at what it does, but it will necessarily slow down the raid because there's not a damaging spell there. Use your brain for when it's needed, and pair it with your own blood magic to cheat back a bunch of mana.
  9. Tenafter New Member

Shouldn’t really notice any dps loss using Mind Atrophy. Just setup a /memspellset hotkey with it replacing “Inflected Wounds” once that’s been cast. By the time “Infected Proliferation” has worn off you can get two casts of “Mind Atrophy” in and swapped back to “Infected Wounds” with around 10 seconds to spare. The only negative I see with Mind Atrophy is the cast time.