Necro dot revamp discussion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vanlaven, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Vanlaven Elder

Just wanted to start a thread concerning the eventual revamp of necro dot for people to toss ideas and concerns around in.

Sham and druids seem to have seen a pretty nice increase on their dots with their revamps and if necros see anything similar I think it will help us out a lot.

One thing I was thinking might be compatible with the dot revamp is finally nerfing the epic. As long as the dps loss is more than compensated for with the dot revamp (and it should be if they do anything similar to sham / druid) I think it would be an ideal time. Thoughts?

Also interested in other peoples thoughts on how our mana retention will hold up after the revamp and what else might need adjusting with the dots.
  2. seber Augur

I be find with Nef my epic don't used much any more really
    think just update neco dot same sham be ok ever one ??
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

Shaman dots are balanced by aggro.

Would Necros have the same challenges as a Shaman, with FD and all that?
  4. Vdidar Augur

If shaman dps is any indication of what necro dps may he like with the revamp say good bye to the zerker dps wins.
  5. YellowBelly Augur

Leave the epic alone. And this should be in the caster forums.
  6. ~Mills~ Augur

Sigh, I just don't get some people. Please stop bringing this up constantly for basically zero reason at all. No other class traded away anything for dot revamps. Yet here you are on your own, unprompted, speaking for an entire class saying hey maybe take my epic because I am clueless and wish to hurt everyone playing the class because I don't fully understand why its a bad idea. NO THANKS!

No other class gave up anything to get their 10k base dots, 28k base dots, 32k base dots or 41k base dots. Despite some having pretty much endless mana tools, others having sick on demand twincast abilities, others the ability to hit 86% dot crit rate on their own or others having the same passive crit mods as necromances of 475%.
    Utaerx, Spellfire and Vrinda like this.
  7. fransisco Augur

Shaman dots are not specifically balanced via agro. All the revamped dots for all classes give CRAZY agro.
  8. Vanlaven Elder

My point was not a trade, but an even larger buff to our dots than we would otherwise have gotten. And you are already trading stats for dps that is not xtra from the staff because it is considered in the balancing of the class.

Think of it like this. They give us the dot buff we would get anyway, clock our dmg, nerf the staff, and then buff dots farther to get that dps back. Same resulting dps plus more room to grow later and more hps / mana etc. from the updated weapons.
  9. bbanz Elder

hoping they un-nerf death blossom or up the mana regen from forgottenside. Looking at the shaman mana costs for these dots, my poor necro would quickly go oom...
    GoneFission likes this.
  10. Juzam Djinn Elder

Some druids and shamans are reporting a dps loss on the progression servers. If this is an indication of what would happen to necros on the TLP's . I fear Necros would become even more of a rare spawn.
  11. Vanlaven Elder

Yea the dot revamp is pretty much a flat out nerf pre 70ish i think for all classes.

As for mana regen yea i hope they do something with necro regen considering it has been stagnated since what? HoT? Maybe VoA?

Also with regard to this topic being in vet lounge rather than casters, i was looking for input from all experienced players, not just necros for one and for two there are several topics focusing on one or two classes right now on the first page of vet lounge.
  12. Juzam Djinn Elder

That would make necros on the TLP boring and revert us back to being mana batteries

No thanks.
  13. Vanlaven Elder

Im not saying thats the way it should be on tlp. I disagree with it.

It is however, the way it is for currently revamped classes and will be for necros in all likelihood
  14. Juzam Djinn Elder

Probably right... Just hope its a note worthy change and keeps the class being a fun one to play. :)
  15. mackal Augur

Then your not playing your class correctly. Unless you're talking about 1.0. there is 0 reason to not equip your 1.5+ as a NEC. Nothing increases your DPS more that more crit dots.

I mean, I guess you could not be casting dots, but they nerfed swarm pet spam so idk what you are doing if you're not casting dots.
    Vrinda likes this.
  16. ~Mills~ Augur

Because they already offered this and flat out said if they didnt like any bonus you got for the epic would just be removed or stagnated. So they you traded away your class item and power for 2 months of fake boost.

They can just nerf the epic at anytime but it would cause way more outrage than them giving dots a 5% boost when nukes got a 10% boost at some later date. Because half the player base wouldn't even notice it or realize that a move like means you traded away our epic for nothing.
  17. Vrinda Augur

They're not going to give us what you're asking for, so get over it. Those stats you're so hung up on are meaningless. Two things matter as a necro: the damage we deal + staying alive to deal it. The extra stats on a new shiny primary weapon will make zero improvement in damage or survivability because they're literally a drop in the bucket in current content. If a new primary with every expansion means that much to you, I can think of three caster classes you'd be happier playing.
    If you're looking for similarly uninformed players of the necromancer class to support your position, certainly this is the right place for it. You're either trolling for a nerf or displaying your ignorance, I'm not sure which.

Learn to play the class or go away and play a different one, but quit trying to screw things up for those of us who know what we're doing.
  18. Vanlaven Elder

First of all there is no need to be borderline rude. Secondly you pointed out that what i stated was unlikely to happen and that it wouldnt make much difference if it did, neither of which are arguments against the idea since my entire point was to get that slot opened up for us to upgrade in the future while having the result be about equal dps.

Now someone else did point out in a msg to me that it would disproportionately effect groups and raiders due to raiders sitting at 100% crit rate regardless of epic equipped or not which is a valid argument and i would be interested in proposed solutions to that.

In the end i am not especially attached to the idea and its fine if its just a bad one. Thee is no need to get even mildly hostile about it though unless you think its going to somehow enforce the necro code of silence lol. Im not one much for trying to slink by unnoticed by the devs while hoping not to incur the wrath of their nerf hammer or poorly thought out adjustments.

The whole point of a convo like this is to avoid the poorly thought out adjustments and i have little fear of the nerf bat atm considering where zerkers are atm.
  19. Vrinda Augur

Think of it as being direct and to the point. I am, after all, a necro.
    This is the part that won't happen. Even if the devs started that way, the original boost would just be faded out over time. I'm pretty sure Mills pointed that out to you, too.
    This isn't about a code of silence. It's about an idea the generally uninformed tend to promote without realizing how horribly wrong it's likely to go, while the alternative is the status quo with three to five k less H/M/E. One is predictable; the other is anything but.
    If that was your whole point, you should have kept your original post to the first, second, and fourth paragraphs. And for those who are a bit short on EQ history, it doesn't take beating zerkers on parses to get necros nerfed.

To answer the serious question Ibliz asked earlier in this thread:
    Given the same changes shamans and druids saw with this last patch, would necros have the same challenges? Not the same, no. Certainly we'll have terrible mana issues with lesser recovery tools unless they decide after all these years to improve Death Bloom. The issue for us will probably be an inability to stand out of FD to reapply dots that are fading simply because what's already on the mob is generating more aggro each tick than the tank can overcome.
  20. Vanlaven Elder

I understand your point but i dont agree that we are likely to do less dps in future patches if we lost the epic than if we didnt. I assume the devs account for it when they balance our dmg and so would account for our lack of it when we couldnt use it anymore and bring us to the same balance point in either case. I suppose i could be over estimating them....

Have I at least placed my finger on our primary point of contention there?