Name generator

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Tugenukem, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Tugenukem New Member

Hello.

The worst experience i currently have with everquest names. Current name generator is horrible outdated and there is only left names no one wouldnt use (example: Sennayan, Utdinyan, Utaenaladin etc. and this is randomly pressed key and its not just these 3, its all of them, horrible stuff) So could you please come up with more modern names? These are currently basicly someone hit the keyboard and come up with "name" and it gives me biggest challenge of everquest game... currently.. so could you please do something for it? I play on progression server so it would nice to see it there aswell (heck you changed freeport to ugly version, so you could make modern name generator for games aswell)

Thank you very much.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The in game name generator was never good, even back in the day when it gave me Darwin but then took it away within 10 minutes.

Use google
  3. Tugenukem New Member

I do use google, but most of these name generators is also horrible what you find by google, could use good one..
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Most of my chars have names based on a funny name I had in mind, and then had to misspell to get it, because somebody else thought of the same funny name before I did ;)
    Skuz and CatsPaws like this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I usually start with cycling the name generator (for up to half an hour), if nothing that "speaks to me" pops up I start googling for something that may be ever so slightly related - that usually ends up with me going down a research "rabbit hole" for several hours.

Like I just named a Ranger after a tree I had never heard of before & I liked how it sounded when I spoke its name - took me a few hours of looking at some wildly boring spreadsheets & videos to find what I was after.
    My bard I named after looking up Indian singers, since the Shar Vahl zone has something of a Taj Mahal architecture feel & decor.

Sometimes I am lazy though, all depends on the mood I am in, but I also learn some surprising new things on these name search efforts.
  6. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Were you making an elf of some kind when it suggested those? I feel like the generator takes the race into account to some degree when suggesting names, and those sound pretty elfy. They also don't seem much different than names I've seen generated by the game going way back to the beginning. The generator has always come up with some pretty weird stuff, which is fine other than if you want people to be able to send you a tell by typing your name right.
  7. Tshesebe Lorekeeper

8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My name was generated by the name generator, back when frogloks were a new race.

It even rhymes with "jumper"(I think that is a coincidence though... ) :cool:

Stuff to ponder when you select a name:
    Make sure that there is an easily spelled obvious "shorthand" for the name, that consistently comes to mind.
    In my case it is "Jum", which is what most guildies use.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. quakedragon Augur

I think its good, its just taking race into account. I think ending with yan is some elf, and if you was making a troll it would probably be ending with Ok, or something. I can pronounce the names you mentioned, if it was keyboard types I'd see xfadsfcv, I couldn't pronounce that, wouldn't make sense!
    The names are based on the theming of EQ too, so like modern names its just not with theme of EQ.
    Kizdean Gix, gimblefixx, etc. probably funky names too, but its EQ, its the theme and vibe which supports it and keeps the EQ vibe going.
    Niskin likes this.
  10. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

You can also take one of the random generated names and start chopping letters off the end to make it more reasonable. I did that last night and got a pretty decent name out of it. It will depend on the server of course, some will have more names taken than others, but it's worth a shot.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

I got my name from the name generator. It generated something like Vumardin, or something, I don't quite remember, back in 2004. I picked out the letters I liked and now I am Vumad (pronounced VuMaude). It's a brain storming tool, not magic.
    Skuz likes this.