Name camps in Lceanium

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by alanon, Apr 30, 2017.

1. alanon Lorekeeper

I'm curious how other servers are handling name camps in Lceanium, since a lot of the names can spawn in such large areas. On Tunare a name can be camped no matter where it spawns you just have to call it in a camp check. I've had times when I spawned the name and had to let it go. I know there are no official rules on camps just want to hear how others handle it. Thanks :)
  2. HeatherPurrs Augur

We call them in /shout /ooc and everyone respects that. If you're doing the work and taking the risk, no one is going to jump your named, at least on my server.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I've accidentally taken a few named in Lcea because a named strolled through our camp. It's sort of a pain to work on Hunter in this zone and others in EoK. We've been able to give up loot to the group that was hunting the named but that can all be avoided by better game development. Please for the love of Tunare don't place named PH's in multiple camps or make them wander all over Norrath again. It creates unnecessary tension between players that shouldn't be in place.
    Fanra and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  4. Aurastrider Augur

At a certain point it is going to be a dps race followed by some griefing I am sure. I know if I am killing in one spot trying to spawn a named and they spawn I am not going to just hand the name over to someone who has a tracker up hitting refresh every couple seconds so they can claim my named. If your on the other side of the zone and you did not do any work to spawn it tough. Then again this is the reason I have not done anything in EOK. I am happy in my own little bubble without added drama.
  5. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Any time I enter a zone, I hit track. If I see a named up, I do a camp check: /ooc CC, and then I head to the mob.

If nobody responds to the CC before I get to the named, and if nobody has engaged it, I destroy it with a guilt-free conscience. If somebody responds after I've engaged, I will usually try to let them have it if possible - especially if they are after the Hunter ach.

I think there is far less intentional griefing than most people believe. I think it is more often the problem that the people camping the mobs haven't taken the time to configure their chat windows and don't watch for /ooc chat. Or that they go AFK for a bit and miss their own mob spawn. From my point of view, if you aren't watching chat, you are choosing to not fully partake in this MMO, and it's your loss.

Oh, and if a mob wanders into my camp, that mob was most certainly NOT being camped and is fair game :) I'm not saying that I wouldn't let somebody else kill it, but you are not camping a mob just because you can claim it in /ooc. You also have to be able to kill it and it's placeholders.
    Cakekizy likes this.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Intentional/Accidental I would agree with the OP that having mobs that roam all over make it harder for camps to be respected. Lcea is a bit extreme with wandering mob and probably not the best design for a zone to help avoid player disputes and also lends itself to some players who like to take advantage the confusion in this type of zone design.

If a mob wanders into my camp that DOES NOT mean it is not camped. All it means is the mob spawned and wandered into my camp before it was pulled by those camping it. And yeah some people intentionally camp in the path of a name they know someone else is camping. I think it is reasonable for people to expect me not to camp in the path of their namer if I know the pathing and can do so relatively easily.

I understand sometimes people miss OOC camp checks and try to that that into account when engaging named in a zone. It is easy to interpret everything to one's own advantage though I guess. It is not cut and dried or black and white or what not.

I have had people in my group or in the zone shout out so and so mob is up etc and my first thought is that unless my group is the only one in the zone (or just zoned into a brand new pickzone or log in after server patch) that someone must be camping a mob for a named to be up. So I look to confirm that before pulling a named I didn't spawn.

I appreciate all the other players who try and respect the camps of others and help keep the game drama free.
  7. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I'm glad we're having this conversation. We're going to have to agree to disagree here though, since DBG specifically does not take a stance on this issue (Everquest-Rules-of-Conduct):

I want to make it clear that I'm not advocating anything except "playing nice". But I also want to make it clear that just because you believe you are camping a mob, if you don't tell other people that you are camping the mob, then it's not their fault if they kill your mob when you can't kill it before it leisurely walks away from you. If YOU are concerned about YOUR ability to kill the placeholders and the named before somebody else gets to them, then it is YOUR responsibility to continuously ask everybody else in the zone to help you out. Use your words! Use /ooc.

Also, you may be camping a mob's placeholder, but you are not camping "the mob" unless you are really able to hold down ALL of the placeholders. All of the placeholders are listed, so there are no surprises. If you are only killing one placeholder, and the mob spawns somewhere else in the zone, you have no special claim to it.
  8. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

It's also easy to blame other people for your own issues, I guess.

I share a lot in EQ and a LOT of my enjoyment comes from helping others. I suspect you do, too, Corwyhn. But I am constantly surprised by the amount of frustration that is caused by (and to) people who can't take the time to communicate with other players. If somebody doesn't respond to /ooc, or /tells, or whatever, then for all intents and purposes, that player is essentially AFK. And that doesn't warrant any of my concern.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You are responding to my post but not sure what you are talking about. Who is blaming whom for their issues?

And I agree there is a lot of frustration created over communication issues and those who don't realize that sometimes some person can honestly and fairly miss a communication. I use Gina alerts so I usually don't miss any communcations though if I am busy with mobs it may take me a minute to hit my premade named camp hotkey.

I do realize others aren't as prepared and am easy going enough to cut them some slack for that though I know some people jump on any reason to grab another person's named mob. They can rationalize it all they want but most people play nice and understand a camp check can be missed.
  10. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

A story of two players. Camper, camping a named mob, and Tracker, somebody passing through the zone with track.

Camper, thinking to himself, "Sweet! Place holders are down, nearby mobs are down, still have 6 minutes until respawn. Since I literally have nothing to do except wait here for 6 minutes, maybe I'll put on some Netflix."

7 minutes later, Tracker enters zone and, while passing through, notices that a named is up!

Tracker says out of character, "CC."

Meanwhile, Camper is thinking to himself, "OMG, Deanna Troi is about to show her boobies!"

2 minutes after issuing his first "CC", Tracker gets to the named mob and notices Camper sitting near by. Assuming Camper may have been after the named, Tracker issues another CC.

Tracker again says out of character, "CC."

Meanwhile, Camper is thinking to himself, "OMG, Doctor Crusher is about to show her boobies!"

So now it's been 4 minutes since his original camp check, and Tracker is starting to suspect that Camper is AFK. So he sends Camper a tell.

Tracker tells Camper, "Hey, are you camping this guy?"

Meanwhile, Camper is thinking to himself, "OMG Wesley Crusher is about to show his boobies!"

At the 6 minute mark, Tracker gives up on waiting for Camper and decides to kill the mob. The sound of combat finally snaps Camper out of his AFK.

Camper shouts, "You hole! Thanks for stealing my mob!"
  11. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

@Corwyhn, I agree with you about playing nice. What I don't agree with, is assuming that everybody who kills "your" mob is being mean. I try to play from the assumption that most players are actually nice, and that most affronts are accidental and not intentional.

I seem to think there are far less mean people in EQ than you do. I have never seen anybody wait in the path of a wandering named mob that somebody else was camping, as you described.

When it all boils down, if you didn't kill it, it wasn't really your mob.

Your suggestion of GINA triggers is very good and I also use them. I think they are required if you want to be a pro :)
  12. shruggz Elder

near every situation where friction is caused is different, I do my best to respect other's camps.
    I like to think most people do.

today I was camping a named that has 2 other spawn points apart from the one I keeping locked down
    if it would have spawned somewhere else and someone else took it I would not have been offended in
    the slightest. if it spawned where I was camping and someone else took it that would be different.
    due to the mob density in the area I don't think any one single group could lock down all 3 place holders.

the big dragon in sw is another example, I believe the ph for that is a worm-scorched skeleton
    there are a ton of those that wander all over the place

at the end of the day I do my best to remember its a game, and were all here to have fun, I try not to step on toes and try to be understanding when mine get stepped on.
  13. alanon Lorekeeper

An example of a name that can spawn in a huge area is A Drolvarg Captain. I have a favorite spot I like to camp and I get the Captain to spawn in a stationary spot sometimes. Since I've spent hours sometimes killing the ph, I figure I should get the kill but after being reamed a couple times, I ended up giving up the loot to maintain calm. Since the Captain can spawn from any drolvarg gnasher and can be a roamer that roams a huge area, it's hard to see him as campable when a roamer. It just seem strange that it can be claimed as camped when the camping party has to use track to find it.
    I will keep respecting a called camp because that's the way it's been done since I started in 01.
    I was mainly wondering if other servers did things the same as Tunare does on this matter.
  14. Vindicate Elder

It would be nice if players really where able to resolve their own disputes but I can confirm might makes right is really the order of the day when it comes to GM or Guide intervention.

I went to play on Fippy the day it opened and ended up joining a raid guild there, I played a bard and spent a lot of my time soloing in plane of hate to finish off my last few levels. There where always a lot of contested spawns going on but I managed to get the things I was after more times than not. This one weekend however I was doing some soloing off on my own in the plane of hate, and one of the top 3 guilds on the server decided to have a multi group party there off to one side. Someone in that guild figured I had easy to grab mobs on me and started pulling them off to their guildies after waiting for me to get the mob to low health. Then they would charm the mob, break it, and with a full group of dps get full exp and loot. I addressed the leader of their party in tells about it and got really no answer. So after a few more attempts coming up with no exp at all I put in a petition to have a GM monitor them. I got a response from GM Deodan who told me he would look into it. Over the next half hour I had I believe every mob I had pulled taken and disposed of exactly the way they had been doing it for the hour previous. At the end of that 30 min I get a tell from GM Deodan saying he would like to speak with me ASAP. I responded and the conversation went like this.....
    I have been monitoring the players in question over the last 30 minutes and I can confirm they are doing nothing wrong, is there anything else I can help you with this evening etc etc copy paste something here. I pointed out the name of the players to him to make sure we where both on the same page and he responded that was who he was monitoring and they had done nothing wrong. I put him on ignore after that and think I just logged off.

This might sound like a rant but its more of just a story about policy and whatever you think you might know or have heard this is pretty much what my experience has been. If you've got nice players around count yourself lucky, if you're surrounded by a bunch of jerks, well find a new server, I had a lot invested in that toon it was just about fully geared and I really loved the bard, it was pretty OP for the era, but I believe I quit Fippy within the next 3 days. Those have pretty much been the rules of the road on progression servers, and as far as GM or Guide help in matters, don't really count on it. I'm not really thinking their policy is any different on live servers. My experience on live has been they leave it up to in game player moderators that are directly involved with any situation you come into, and the biggest one wins out of that argument. I have had no other experience than that. GMs and Guides, in my experience, simply do not have the authority to tell any player what they can and cannot do within game mechanics. They can only ask nicely, and nobody is bound by what they ask. So bring a big gun or go find someplace else to play, and no I don't agree with that mentality, but again, its pretty much just how things go.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

As to the if you didn't kill it it wasn't really your mob. Not so. The regular servers are a bit more civilized then Phinigel and DPS isn't the deciding factor grabbing aggro first. Most of us respect camps and try to ensure we aren't taking another's named when we kill one that we didn't spawn.

I agree that not everyone who aggro's someone elses camped named isn't always doing it on purpose or with malicious intent. Then again some people are idiots too. I have only had one named ever stolen from a camp I did and it was because it was an Lcea mob who spawned closer to someone else then me. No camp check unanswered. I wasn't waiting to see some Star Fleet Officers boobies. Just someone closer to the mob then me. *shrugs*. I'm not all worried about it.
  16. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I assume all named that are up are mine because I'm a really swell guy and everybody likes me and wants me to have them.
    Drogba likes this.
  17. Tucoh Augur

From my experience Bristlebane is extremely civilized. It seems like the # of named camps and pick zones make it easy to spread out. Hell, a lot of camp conflicts are resolved with both parties offering to move.
  18. DruidCT Augur

Whaddya know... me too!!
  19. Finen Elder

Lceanium reminds me a lot of field of scale. There aren't really camps, it's different but I actually enjoy this structure a lot more. Feels a lot less like playing slot machines.
  20. Morg New Member

I do not even CC, i just pull and if someone starts crying i pretend i am sorry and offer something i wouldnt do if they ever accept it (like kill phs Or sth)
    Nice People are so stupid lol