My Thoughts on Phinny So Far

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Frenzic, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Vaclav Augur

Agreed - I do prefer 3 month unlock cycles but that would work.

As would adjusting XP back to something like RF/LJ.

I do think the latter is more likely though.
  2. Ladysoth Augur

Actually, it was only two sentences. Normally when people say something like "I've taken plenty of breaks and I'm level 36" the unspoken assumption the reader/listener makes is that the person is drawing a connection between those two things in the same sentence. Because, you know, that's how language works. People I speak with don't say things like "I like pancakes and the blue whale is the largest animal on earth" or "My car is in the shop and I have squirrels in my yard" because people I speak with aren't in a hospital somewhere.

Here, let me break it down for you.

Preceding sentence:

"Exp rates are slow and wonderful."

Here we have a statement of fact and then an opinion on that fact. So far we're on solid ground.

First sentence in dispute:

"I've taken plenty of breaks and I'm level 36"

Building on the previous idea of addressing the experience. The writer has "taken plenty of breaks", with the unspoken assumption built into this part of the sentence being that the writer has not played nonstop since Wednesday, and has in fact, on the contrary, "taken plenty of breaks" The writer supports his point that the exp rates are wonderful by stating he "is level 36" We are still on solid footing understanding what the writer said.

Second sentence in dispute:

"I think people are confusing too slow exp with sucking at the game"

We are still, as you can see, addressing the experience rate. People (the writer does not say who these people are, although he later goes on to clarify these are "people who are complaining" not "people in general" are confusing slow experience rates with sucking at the game. The writer has built into his argument the support for it in the preceding sentences; after all, the writer has "taken plenty of breaks" and he "is level 36" because "the exp rates are slow and wonderful!"

Clarification given later on:

"I said three different things, in three different sentences. If you want to put them together into one thought, you're wrong"

We see now that the three sentences the writer wrote, which all dealt with the same topic, his experiences, and his thoughts, were actually not part of a whole, we learn they were actually completely separate thoughts given as a sort of stream-of-consciousness which is on us to decipher these statements, all on the same topic, were not related at all. How foolish we have been. Language does evolve all the time, so perhaps this new and interesting way to share your thoughts on a topic; i.e., not as part of a cohesive whole, will catch on. We will have to wait and see.

The writer does give us more examples as to how to use this new and intriguing method:

"Look it up yourself and stop being so lazy. It was all over the forums, I'm sure search will help you find what you're looking for"

We have here FOUR separate, unrelated statements in two sentences, so this is a real treat. The reader should look up the quoted portion himself. He should also stop being so lazy (about what, we are not sure, since as we have seen, statements in sentences and even next to other statements do not connect to each other) The reader should also know something was "all over the forums" and "I'm sure search will help you find what you're looking for" (we also do not know what this is. It might be the thing that was "all over the forums" but due to this new and interesting way to deal with the English language, we can't be positive. Sending the entire thread to a Princeton-trained linguist might shed some light on the topic.

Personally I am very excited. I am a bit of a language nerd myself, so I would very much like to experiment with this original way of posting information on forums. I will try it myself later on!
  3. Elkay Augur

Because the problem is a combination of both slower XP and faster unlocks together. Fixing either of the two solves the problem.
    Lejaun likes this.
  4. Tornat Augur

was waiting to see what exp rates were , RF rate was kinda slow for me , i mean the first 30 or so levels of the game are pretty boring for me ( me personally) maybe they will boost it when kurnark comes out. I only can really play 10 hours a week right now + there other games on market i want to play like fallout. if i could play EQ a decent amount of time and get to raiding level for a few hours a week I would. but to fully commit to this game not happening for me. GG EQ thanks for trying. might try back another time.
  5. Ladysoth Augur

Oh, almost forgot.

I like how "asking people to try to understand others' viewpoints before they make declarations" is to you "pointless gibberish" It does give others a good bit of information on your own perspectives ;)
    Tachya likes this.
  6. Amor Augur

You do realize you're coming off as condescending and trying to instigate what appears to be a disagreement over Frenzic's original post. You apparently took offense to it. The funny part to me is I agree with his intitial sentence that offended you.
    Gskiel and Frenzic like this.
  7. Ladysoth Augur

Oh no, I wasn't offended by it. This is why ascribing motives to people without knowing is usually not a smart thing to do. I was just pointing out that his response of "That's not remotely what I said" was disingenuous in the extreme; it's exactly what everyone who read his post understood him to mean.
    Jaxarale01 and Tachya like this.
  8. Frenzic Augur

Dude, you're as bumhurt as a man can be bumhurt. You're trying to break down my sentence and paragraph structure on a gaming forum... Luckily for me, I'm a better player than I am a writer!

As to your sentence review. You're even wrong about that. Your examples don't fit my writing at all. I didn't give two different thoughts in the same sentence, I gave two different thoughts in two different sentences. Prob should have been a new paragrapgh but who cares other than you?

Casual Eq players love to complain. They are bad at experiening. They whine on forums.

See how this works? Being bad at experiencing has nothing to do with whining on forums, it relates to the paragraph not another sentence.
  9. xakanrn Augur

As far as I recall there bosses in rf are still contested which means zero chance to do them if casual .not played there for a while if that changed happy to go there
    Gskiel likes this.
  10. AlmarsGuides Augur

I can't speak for RF/LJ but vox/naggy havent been killing since patch day on lockjaw and the only boss actively being blocked is Trakanon/VP by FI which will most likely change in the near future
  11. Vaclav Augur

I hope this was just an example - I'd dare say it's not the "Casual" that are complaining.

It's that infamous "Try-Hard" category. The "I would just be hardcore and awesome if not for..."

The "Casual" people seem to just chill and work with what they've got, this time.
    Jezzie likes this.
  12. Duladin Lorekeeper

Everyone that's defending the slow exp and 3 month unlocks has been an insufferable condescending prig. It's funny that you don't even need to listen to their arguments to know what they think; they all use the word "casual" as an insult on par with calling someone a plague infected commoner.
    Ladysoth and Mandrollen like this.
  13. Vaclav Augur

Don't take Frenzic as the average. And there's a few out there.

But you know me better than that Dula.
  14. Frenzic Augur

Lol of course it's an example. Just showing how silly that guy's sentence argument was.

:cough: Some of my best friends are casual!
  15. Vazuvius Augur

To be fair it's a running joke, and usually a tongue in cheek type insult. The sentiment is more like, suck it up...and less that you're actually bad. The best player I ever met figured out how to solo VP when it was current and had bards nerfed forever because of his AoEing. He also played little more than once or twice a month. Truth is he was so casual he had no choice but to suck it up and figure out how to play on his own terms and he figured out how to pull an entire zone and sing dot song while running in a circle and took his 15 hours a month and made more money and xp than most ppl made playing 10 hours a day.

The issue is these types of things are removed, there is no more intelligent or innovative gameplay. Every strat is known, every quest...every item, how to get best in slot...you can pay for a full set of best in slot (pre-planar gear) with kronos already.

Play it and enjoy it on your own terms or don't. I don't like a lot of people that play 'try-hard' because they are simply toxic on a personal level. That just happens to shine through in games where people need self-worth and image reinforcement because they have no other outlet to achieve that basic human requirement to be happy. In fact I have sympathy for them.

Phinigel is fun, it's slower and reminds me a lot more of EQ in the past than what EQ is now. I've met people, made friends...grinded to 34 now (without NEEDING to join a guild) and the population is going down significantly, but I like to think it will stabilize and everyone will get to enjoy at least a few expansions.

People keep firing shots like we're on the Korean border when really DBG is to blame. Be upfront about what you're selling.
  16. Ladysoth Augur

Bud, you could just admit it was a stupid thing to say ;) We all do it sometimes, it's not going to kill you, I promise. It's only the internet!
  17. AlmarsGuides Augur

Were you around for Kunark launch? Frenzic made a post just to show people he had 10mil in plat in a screenshot. You're just feeding his ego/attention hunger craving at this point. You seem like a smart fella, what's the best way to piss off a narcissist?
    Jaxarale01 and Ladysoth like this.
  18. Ladysoth Augur

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for letting me know.
  19. AlmarsGuides Augur

I do not envy that trait, humanity is a pretty big let down it's no wonder aliens wont come to give us a visit!
    Ladysoth likes this.
  20. Jaime Lannister Augur

[IMG]
    Ladysoth likes this.