My guild merged...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Lee81, Oct 7, 2015.

1. SyDiko Augur

You have 2 servers playing host to over ten thousand players and I'm willing to bet that one forth the population plays more than one concurrent character. I really must ask, what exactly did you expect to happen in a 15 year old game designed around open mobs?
  2. Lee81 Augur

Yeah, this FFA environment isn't for me. I didn't stay on the prior progression servers because I didn't like it. I won't like it now. I wonder what Fippy and Vulak are like now.
  3. Lee81 Augur

I expect them to remedy the situation, but they might not have the capital or support to do this.
  4. SyDiko Augur

Honestly, I think its an experience problem as this is DBG's first crack at a TLP server, so they're still learning what works the best for the community in 2015-16. One thing that they probably didn't realize is that they should never give this community an inch as people will take miles in return. You have folks that will dance around EULA with no care of the longevity of the game.

Anywho, I'm rambling, but I think I've made my point. We have a new server coming in a few months and I'm certain that they'll get it right this next time around.
  5. Nerdz Elder

You are aware that this is their third crack at progression servers right?
    lockjaws likes this.
  6. Lee81 Augur

No, it's not. There's Fippy Darkpaw and Vulak'Aerr.
  7. SyDiko Augur

Correct me if I'm wrong, but DBG just acquired the game from Sony this year. I'm pretty sure it was Sony developers that built the original 2 TLPs back when they first launched?
  8. Lee81 Augur

They've learned a lot, but they still make the same problems. Or, it could be a different population of players this time around.
  9. Nerdz Elder

Same employees lol.
    Just because a company changes names, it doesn't mean they change all their employees!
    lockjaws and Simone like this.
  10. Lee81 Augur

It's not Sony. They still have the same development team.
    lockjaws likes this.
  11. SyDiko Augur

Oh, I thought it was all new staff?! Shame on me for assuming and shame on them for not learning from their past mistakes haha.

(Sorry DBG, I've been trying to defend you...!)
    lockjaws likes this.
  12. Vlorg Augur

Everquest has never been a difficult game. Especially the Old/classic era.

It's a time-consuming game that really test your patience and dedication, but it's not a hard game.

It dosen't require fast reflex ( 4-5+ second cast time on spell in the stage TLP is in...)
    It dosen't require complex strategyies ( as you pointed out, numbers win... heck, classes only require 2, maybe 3 button if you exclude buff)
    It dosen't have any significantly hard mechanics/ require precise execution until really late... DoDh demi-plane of blood would be the first place that comes to mind.
    Raid are NOT unforgiving or punishing ; unlimited rezes mechanics, unlimited number leading to spare people for every role, no time limit (minus other guild DPS racing you)... the old world have nothing remotly challenging.
    And most important of them all: you are on a TLP server. EVERYTHING you will raid in the next 7-8 years or so won't be new to anyone. the strategy will be known, the detail of the encounter will be known, the layout of the place will be mapped out... you'll merely have to repeat what others did years before you.

Back in 1999, finding 40+ people with good enough computers/internet connection to not lag out in raid was one of the most challenging part of raiding. Finding enough cleric who could sustain the incredibly boring CH-rotation playstyle for 3+ hour on a raid night was likely the 2nd most challenging thing.

If you seek difficult/hard/punishing game, go take a look at dark soul, the older ninja gaiden / devil may cry. If you seek a difficult MMO go give wildstar raiding a try ( it has been nerfed a bunch) or heck, those legendary raids in WoW - wether you want to admit it or not, WoW hardmode/legendary raids are miles ahead of EQ in term of complexity / execution / difficulty.

One thing for sure, EQ has never deserved the title of 'hardgame' ; at best, consider it 'broken' during the GoD era.

timeconsuming =/= hard.
  13. Lee81 Augur

My company was recently acquired by a great equity firm. Even though we're owned by a different party, the employees are still required to run the business smoothly.
    lockjaws likes this.
  14. Lee81 Augur

Yeah, I've participated within some of the most punishing raids. I just like returning to a very basic game. Good memories...
  15. SyDiko Augur

No I understand, I just wasn't aware that this was the case with DBGs acquisition..
    Lee81 likes this.
  16. Vlorg Augur

Well what are you complaining for then? This IS the basic game: a bunch of people autoattacking / spamming 1 spell . Whoever have the larger amount of people autoattacking/spamming 1 spell wins... isn't that the good old basic EQ?

what punishing raid do you speak of?
  17. Lee81 Augur

I was a hardmode main tank within WoW. And yeah, I did tank on all of the tank classes except for paladins. I just couldn't get into them.
  18. Lee81 Augur

It is very weird coming back to this game where you only have auto-attack, taunt, kick, and provoke. There's positioning and various mechanics, but they're all very basic.
  19. SyDiko Augur

The issue is congestion related to concurrent accounts or boxers. You didn't have 1 in 20(?) people playing 6+ accounts.
  20. Crystilla Augur

At those lower levels the game is a lot less complex than it is at the upper range. Tons of spell choices, you're constantly clicking hotkeys, items, discs, spells, etc. at the higher levels.