multiboxing rule clarification

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by macncheesey, May 16, 2020.

1. macncheesey Journeyman

so im reading multiple different things..so i need a dev to give me the official word

whats the rules on multiboxing

i want to get into some old world raids and do some group tasks but the player requirements make that impossible since nobody ever does them anymore
  2. Tuco Augur

On non truebox servers: don't play unattended, don't packet spoof (ex: warp)

On truebox servers: same as above but don't play more than one eq instance per pc

On aradune: same as above but only two characters per person
    Metanis and Dythan like this.
  3. macncheesey Journeyman

okay im on FV what is it..truebox no box or box all day whenever on whatever

idk how to know which server is which when it comes to multiboxing
  4. KermittheFroglok Augur

I’m not sure what you mean? Boxing is allowable on most servers unless the specific ruleset for the server sets a limit on the number of toons you can box at once, e.g. the newer TLPs. The rules differ by server to server even where there are restrictions so you’ll need to go to the announcements/FAQ for the server you’re interested in if it’s a TLP.

Botting, which is often confused with boxing is NOT allowed per the terms of service. Tools that give you an unfair advantage are not allowed either, if the tool lets you “control” an army of accounts, it’s probably not allowed. The Devs seem careful not to draw lines as to what is/isn’t allowed as to avoid creating precedents that might be abused later.

My $.02 to you are:

1) If you’re talking about 2-6 boxing without using software that bots, go for it as long as your server ruleset allows for it. You should be able to do a fair amount of the old world raid content. Most classic raids can be 3 boxed from my experience, although you’ll need to be above level to clear the planes. Honestly, planes aside, I’ve found a lot of the old world content is molo’able (1 box you + merc) by experienced players on Live servers, especially if you play a class like the mage.

2) If you’re thinking of doing raids that need 50+ people, or smaller raids with complicated mechanics, I’d say join a guild. Even cheating with bots won’t get you past a lot of later raid mechanics that need close attention.
  5. KermittheFroglok Augur

Generally, the servers with restrictions on boxing will be denoted as progression servers on the server select screen.

FV is a Live server with free trade, accelerated xp, and should be role play preferred.

To clarify, unattended gameplay is not allowed on any server.
  6. macncheesey Journeyman

all i want to do is create 2 accounts and make 5 additional characters on that account and put em all into a group with my main character on my main account so that it can request group tasks and raids
    not even multiboxing tbh just logging them in long enough to get them into a group then throwing them offline only bringing them back online to form the group again..just getting enough characters into a group to request tasks or raid tasks since theres some augments /currency that would really help my level 91 paladin from the house of thule group tasks
    in other words..only 2 characters would be online at a time..one by one id bring em all into a group and then pretend they don't exist
  7. macncheesey Journeyman

so to sum it up

so all im asking is if i can run the EQ client twice on my one pc on the FV server with two accounts and two characters online at once
  8. KermittheFroglok Augur

You are allowed to box on FV, there is nothing wrong with boxing on FV.
    macncheesey likes this.
  9. Tuco Augur

on FV: box all day whenever or whatever

Note that on test you can play the full game without a gold membership, so if you're looking to run huge numbers of accoutns that might be a good option.
    macncheesey likes this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Only one character from an account can be online at the same time. So the two characters that are online would need to be two separate accounts.

But this is doable: Character A logs in and invites character B who is on another account to group. Then character B logs out and C logs in, gets invite, logs out and D is in with invite etc. Then A and whoever can go do the task. Characters B, C, and D can all be from the same account and you can even invite other characters from A if A makes another one leader.

There are quite a few missions that accept characters who are offline or afk as being in the group to make the needed 6 or whatever. Very handy for the raid ones where mercs are not allowed.

I utilize this method for many of the older raids and missions. Sometimes it does not even have to be level specific.
    Pelrond and macncheesey like this.
  11. Pawtato Augur

Necromancers so hot right now...
  12. macncheesey Journeyman

thank you all for the info..gonna be happy to start doing group tasks now and get those augs i been wanting
  13. KermittheFroglok Augur

No, on test you can play a less stable and glitchy version of the game not the “full game”. Test is not meant to be a substitute for the actual servers. Please do not redirect new players to Test as it later creates disappointment when functions like instances break on Test or the server is down for an extended period.

My tip for boxing on a budget would be to rotate your sub between you alt accounts if you have to and to alternate which one you’re working on AA’s etc for.
    Nennius and Barton like this.
  14. Whulfgar Augur

Multi boxing is the way to go if you don't wanna wait for other people to show up