Multi-boxing macro question

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Joyeuxx, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Joyeuxx Lorekeeper

Can a macro be created to move between boxes? So that I could hit a slow with my chanter and a debuff for another character? Or some similar combo?

Thanks in advance!
    Joyeuxx
  2. Lighteningrod Augur

Not without the use of [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] or other similar software. There is no functionality within the EQ platform itself.
  3. Brosa Augur

The reason there is no way to do this within the EQ platform is because people would set up afk with their box group and kill. AKA cheating.
  4. Tobynn Augur

As if anyone would need this sort of functionality to afk and kill. Hihi pets and mercs. Totally acceptable. AKA not cheating.
  5. Burdi Augur

You need specific software to achieve that. [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is perfect for this.
  6. Moklianne Augur

You still need to be at the terminal while its going on though.
  7. Tobynn Augur

False. Been confirmed here many times by SOE red-name types that afk killing is acceptable. No need for anyone to be at the keys. While the practice may be discouraged, it is not any sort of violation and therefore those participating in such actions can do so with impunity.
  8. Brosa Augur

I would like these "red-named types" to confirm this.
  9. Velnarin Lorekeeper

I second this ^ considering a boatload of Shadowknights were unceremoniously suspended without warning for said afk-killing not but a couple of years ago. See: SK mortal coil swarming in FC raid instance.
  10. Taadieri Journeyman

Afk killing with mercs and/or pets whose actions are being controlled by SOE code is legal, though it could be considered zone interference depending on when and where you do it.

The use of outside programs to automate your gameplay is and always has been illegal. There are some grey areas for using a gamepad to trigger a single action over and over if you are at keyboard while it is running, but not for using outside programs to automate complex actions like SK mortal coil swarming.

[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] claims to be legal and I have never seen any SOE announcement to say otherwise. This is because it does not automate anything. It just simplifies the use of multiple accounts on a single PC by improving performance, speeding up switching between top-level and background windows and reducing how often you need to swap windows by allowing for pass-throughs (i.e. press a button while on Account 1 to cast a spell Account 3 or have all accounts at once respond to movement buttons).
  11. Velnarin Lorekeeper

You're misinformed if you think SK mortal coil swarming in FC ever needed automation. You went in, killed a few zombies to get it to proc, then toddled off afk for 6 hours (the duration of the instance). That was 'totally legit' by some peoples' idea of what that means, except that instead of just removing incentive to do that, people got ten-day bans and other fun surprises. Call it a thread derail but I don't want people having the wrong idea of what went down with that.
  12. Taadieri Journeyman

So you got enough new zombies wandering by and aggroing that riposte alone would kill them fast enough to keep re-proccing MC? And could find a location where mob push wouldn't eventually put a bunch of the mobs behind you where they could bypass riposte?

Interesting. I wasn't playing an SK much then but am still surprised I didn't hear about something like that. In any case, SOE's attitude towards afk killing without the otuside automation seems to have mellowed somewhat with the addition of mercs.

Also, there was rather a lot of blatantly bannable behavior that people used FC instances (both group and raid) for back in the TSS and TBS eras. So possibly that left SOE a bias towards suspending people for any even mildly questionable behavior in the zone.
  13. Velnarin Lorekeeper

Yes. During FC's torch lighting event zombies would spawn endlessly. The SK would wedge themselves in the corner and riposte would take care of the rest. They'd have a good 20 zombies on them at once so it was rare that MC would fail to proc when you needed it. A lot of SKs did have to keep one eye on the screen at times in case of such emergencies but a lot didn't, especially if well-geared. They rarely got behind the SK and on average it would net around 80+ AAs per hour before the experience bonus was applied.

Granted a situation like that is significantly more serious than afk-killing a few mobs every 20 minutes but it still leaves reasonable doubt that afk-exp is anything but harshly discouraged.

Real automation's definitely out, I expect.
    Seems sort of sad to Want to automate things if you're going to be boxing, beyond a couple normal hotkeys. I can see why you would desire to but it's not terribly... 'self-respecting'. Boxing is as much an experience as a practicality. I wouldn't pay $15 a month for a merc. But that's me.