Mouse vs 100% keyboard

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ptah, Dec 4, 2017.

1. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

For my push-to-talk key! I'm gonna order one now!
    Thraine likes this.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

One thing that's really helped me lately, I got a new mouse last year, nothing special, just a regular mouse, but the scroll wheel has NASA-grade bearings or something. One quick spin, and it just keeps spinning for 6-7 seconds, and zooms all the way in and out on the view, so I can very quickly change from 1st to 3rd person. It's been really nice :)
  3. Zhaunil_AB Augur

#MeToo

Hardly.

No.

Nothing against your opinion, but what might work well for you need not necessarily work the same way for everyone else.
    I for one play EQ, not UO.
  4. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Try a rat then - rats are bigger, better, meaner than mice :)
    Tatanka likes this.
  5. Aurastrider Augur

What handicap? You can keybind different camera views without using a mouse. Swap between first person, third person, overhead and so forth without ever using a mouse. Most classes don't need to "slide" from side to side like they are playing dodge ball. This is EQ not some fast paced shooter game. Tell me why a healer or caster with their back to the wall needs to be doing complex mouse movements during combat? Maybe out in the open they might want to have an overhead view in case a roamer gets near their flank but even that can be placed on a hotkey and at worse would be a mouse scroll out and done with it. Melee classes don't require the amount of positioning if you pan out from the start with facing the tank so you are hitting the mob from the backside. Unless you are in tight quarters a melee class can position themselves so they are in front of the tank with their back to the mob as it comes into the camp. All they have to do is move forward once a tank engages and they are already in position. If the tank swaps positions its just as easy to spin around and move backwards with a keyboard which takes no time at all.

As far as people playing in 1st person if that is what they are comfortable with I would rather they play in 1st person than a view that is more pleasing to someone else. I personally cant stand 3rd person view unless I am running in the wide open but for combat I like to feel like I am actually playing my toon rather than being a puppet master from up above.
    JolineSZ likes this.
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

If you are only playing by yourself, as I stated before, play however you want.
    If you are playing in a boring grind group that doesn't mind you sitting in one spot and casting a few spells here and there, while others do all the work for you, then play however you want.

But if you want to be an active member of your group, and most certainly if you are in a raid, then you absolutely need to be able to see what is happening around you AND you have to be able to move your character precisely and quickly (and turning with the keyboard IS terribly slow, by comparison). If you don't know what I am talking about, maybe you haven't done some of the more complex events in EQ.

Can other people carry you through these events, and try to /shout out when YOU need to move? Yes. Are you bringing your A-game? No.

It's as if you are trying to drive your car with a fixed, narrow-view camera, instead of looking out your windows and using your mirrors. And it is a choice: you are choosing to not learn the next level of character control. I'm asking you to use your resources and bring your A-game to raids and groups :)
    KermitMadMan likes this.
  7. KermitMadMan Journeyman

I imaging that playing some classes would be more geared toward keyboard only / keyboard + mouse.
    A friend of mine is an excellent raiding Rogue and mainly plays keyboard only.

I play an SK and when tanking, I use the mouse to help orient myself and pickup adds. Like you said, for raiding, I have no idea how a toon could deal with all that goes on.

Moving to pickup adds / run to emotes / get out of aura emotes / much of anything can be tough with zone landscapes and the immediate time to respond. Maybe that's why some folks are failing the dang run away emotes.....
  8. Metanis Bad Company

No matter what your play style that muscle memory is terribly hard to change once it is ingrained.
    svann, Khat_Nip and NameAlreadyInUse like this.
  9. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I certainly appreciate that :)
  10. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Once more, i have to call BS on this one.
    Just because you seem to think that you "need" mouse control to bring YOUR "A-game", it does not mean all have to.
    In fact, i have found it being detrimental to my game. (except in a very few situations)
    If i could, i'd put ALL functionality on the keyboard, but i still have to use the mouse for some things - sadly.
    And yes, i HAVE done "some of the more complex event in EQ" - and still disagree with your general notion.

If it works for you, fine.
    But the "you need" or "you have to" (do as i do to be good) thing.. that's just one big no-no for me!
  11. Herf Augur

SRI (Stanford Research Institute) invented the mouse. At the time it compared the mouse concept to other things including foot pedals and the mouse was deemed the best choice. Just an FYI. No need to re invent the wheel.
  12. dinozo_povar Journeyman

Trying to picture doing huge riposte pulls without mouse and 3rd person; e.g. when your swarm is lagging all over the place and you gotta decide quick which way to put your back.

I'd say using only keyboard is certainly limiting yourself. But I do it sometimes if I'm snacking or just slacking.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Well, since most classes can't do "huge riposte pulls", your example doesn't do much to further the discussion.
  14. Aurastrider Augur

At this time computers took up entire rooms and were less powerful than the average smart phone that one can carry in their pocket. The idea or concept of a game like EQ was not even imagined at this time so this is not about reinventing the wheel and more about realizing those old ideas that maybe were not considered viable with the technology at the time actually have a useful application by todays standards. I can totally see how adding a foot pedal to a setup would improve efficiency even in a game like EQ. Imagine for the boxer that uses alt tab being able to use a their feet to swap to another toon while keeping their fingers on their macro keys. This is just one example of course but the possibilities are endless. Even if you are a mouse + keyboard advocate you should appreciate the potential for being more efficient in game.
  15. Awesome X New Member

I never knew people were so bad at using hardware. I would run and play circles around you.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  16. Awesome X New Member

Do you also drive a car from the backseat using sticks to push the pedals and steering wheel? That's what you're describing when you say you don't want to use a mouse.
  17. Nihilwolf New Member

Mouse in right hand for movement mostly and left hand on gamepad for all other including targeting.
    I also use previously mentioned boxing software where the gamepad really shines.
    svann likes this.
  18. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Nonsense!

i am using a mouse for stuff i cannot use the keyboard for.
    But moving the hand/arm from keyboard to mouse, grab and then direct it costs time+attention...
    Ever considered that your way of doing things isn't the only working/viable one?

By all means, use a mouse if that's your thing - no objection from me on that.
    But i wholly disagree on the "you have to use the mouse too" notion that ppl are trying to put across here!
    This whole "you have to do as i do else you suck" attitude- is bothering, bigtime!
  19. Jetslam Augur

Still no answer from keyboarders to the question regarding targeting for healing(especially raids with a full ETW).

I'd also recommend those who think mouse is slow to rework their UI. I have all of my most used windows together. My spell window is sandwiched between my ETW and group window with my commonly used hotbars just below. During raids I keep mouse in that area to click on the tank to heal and then use one of the 12-keys on my mouse to cast the heal. How do keyboarders do that sequence of actions?
  20. Annastasya Augur

i already addressed that Jetslam- There are many many actions you can tie to a keystroke- check your options menu - Keys tab- Target category. Group members? F1-F6, Nearest enemy in view F8, Toggle last two targets - mine is - on the Number pad, Toggle nearest corpse - mine is . on the number pad, Toggle nearest PC - mine is / on the number pad /assist command is your friend, make a hotkey and use that like crazy. double tap gives you target's target if you dont already have a key for that.

Hotbar keys, Extended target slots, Any spells or Discs or Combat abilities or Activatable AAs or clickie items in any slot in your inventory can be tied to a single key or combination, or TWO. in case you want overlap.

A typical 30 seconds of me raid healing looks something like F2 q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q 2 2 q q q q q q q q q q q q alt7 q q q q d d alt 9 q q q q q q q shift alt z q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q d d alt 9 q q q q q q q q q 2 2 q q q q q q q q /tar bik ctrl x F3 2 2 q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q