mouse-move goes haywire

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by svann, Jan 23, 2020.

1. svann Augur

I use left+right mouse buttons to move around, and have since EQ beta. Im pretty used to it. For some time (years and years) I will be running around and suddenly the camera spins to straight up or straight down and/or freezes EQ. To free it up I have to release both mouse buttons and then control returns back to normal. I turn the camera back straight and continue on. This has been going on for several years through multiple computers and multiple mice. It happens several times a day, and is especially annoying for a pulling class. Wish you could fix this. Ive played many other mmos using mouse move, but only ever seen this bug in EQ.
    Fenthen likes this.
  2. GNOME_POWER Augur

Stop using unbranded mouse and use mouse from famous manufacturers.
  3. svann Augur

Thats an odd thing to say.
    Im currently using a microsoft mouse, but have in the past also used logitech.
    Fenthen likes this.
  4. yober Elder

Sudden jumps can happen from fps drops/lag.

The freezing seems to happen to me when the mouse gets outside the bound of the window and EQ loses focus somehow. I imagine this could be fixed by locking the mouse position and using deltas instead of allowing the mouse to move where ever then resetting the position to where the clicks started when the buttons are released.
  5. phattoni Augur

its not lag, this happens when the mouse cursor "leaves" the game window when right clicking, it gets stuck on the title bar, which causes the lock up when moving left/right up/down.

if you keep moving the mouse when its in this state, eventually the game window moves.

the only fix ive found is to either A, run full screen, B, unclick the mouse buttons then click again.

seems to happen to me when using right mouse button for mouse look.

i havent been able to mimick this behaviour using other methods, clicking title bar and moving it etc.
  6. Mukkul Augur

That thing where the view suddenly snaps to straight vertical seems to happen a lot after getting a rez. Using right-button mouse look.
  7. Prathun Developer

This has happened to me when I'm controlling multiple computers with the same mouse via Mouse without Borders or a similar tool. Is this part of your setup?
    If you're in first person you can press Home to look straight ahead instead of at the ceiling or floor.
  8. phattoni Augur

this is not in my setup, just multiple eqs sometimes, usually just 1 though, seems to happen after something else happens for me, such as pressing too many arrow keys on keyboard, or sometimes a resurrection.
  9. svann Augur

No just the one computer. I am in windowed mode if that makes any difference. Its not always a camera up or down. Sometimes eq just freezes until I let off of the mouse buttons. Sort of like when I accidentally move the mouse out of the window, except it isnt out of window.
    Prathun likes this.
  10. Tyreel Augur

Try limiting the Max Frames Per Second to match your monitor refresh usually 60 if you don't know what it is. Alt+O > Display Tab > Advanced button > Max FPS slider
    This might help if the issue is some runaway rendering/polling causing a stall.

The only time i ever saw this was in the distant past was when something else stole focus in windows. The mouse doesn't have to leave the window just something else has to take focus. I know VNC viewer and just background apps updating caused this years ago along with various types of malware.
  11. Troutfest Augur

Didnt want to make a new thread. I am having this issue constantly. Monk in Skyfire zone, up by the vp entry pulling. I use arrow keys to turn or usually i hold the mouse buttons down to move and turn. I typically run around holding down the right button and looking around, left to run. At times after i have stopped and try to restart my camera view goes all over, can be up down and I seem to turn also, but dont move. I can let off the left mouse and press again and same thing happens, can be 3 or 4 times in a row, not moving and usually after I have pulled a mob. If I hit my keyboard key to run when this happens I start moving and usually can press left mouse again and all is okay until it happens after a stop. Its not just skyfire but all zones this can happen in. Its happens on all my toons I believe, though I notice it more on ones I pull with. Logitech mouse, G600 I believe. Its not a new problem, been happening for years but its just gotten more annoying as I have started pulling more.
    Svann2 likes this.
  12. Troutfest Augur

More info, I play windowed on multi monitors due to eq minimizing on main screen if i shift focus to the second monitor. I went to full screen in eq and it doesn't happen. If there was a way to stop eq from minimizing anytime I swapped mouse focus to the second screen I would play full screen. The problem I have in windowed mode is not caused by the mouse going outside the eq window, when that happens whole screen freezes until mouse moved back into the eq window. This is just character not moving and view swaps around.
    Svann2 likes this.
  13. Rafeus New Member

I finally figured out what was causing my mouse-look skips and general lag when facing some areas or groups of people. It was the Settings > Display > Advanced > Shadows. I turned it off and everything went totally smooth with all the other settings up to max
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The mouse thing also happens to me. I play in fullscreen in first-person, and it seems to consistently happen when ever im released from being charmed.