Mountaineering in Norrath

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elenderil, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Elenderil Lorekeeper

Anyone know if there is a list of the highest points toons can get to in Norrath? I'm not thinking of places like Meldrath's Mansion but actual hills and mountain peaks. I wondered if there was something like a Munro list (Munro list is a list of all peaks in Scotland over 2,000 feet some walkers have the ambition to climb all of them).
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

If you're looking for something tall to climb try Tower of Frozen Shadow in Iceclad, it IS possible to get on top but requires some creative solutions.

If this is just like for Lores sake I'd imagine Ashengate,Permafrost, and VP are probably considered some of the highest elevation points.
  3. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

Are you looking particularly for mountains or is just elevation that matters?

If we're just talking elevation and straight y-axis I'd have to think that Dreadspire is way up there when you consider the climb through the Hive too.

To get it out of the way I will also be the guy that asks "Have you considered Luclin as the highest point?" ;)
  4. jeskola pheerie

City of mist is pretty high at the very top
  5. Nniki Augur

I don't know how much actual elevation there is to it, but running up the path to Highpass Hold in East Karana is something.
  6. Tucoh Augur

To my knowledge nothing like that exists.

It'd be interesting to catalog the highest jumps in Norrath. Dreadlands spires, Kurn's Tower, ToFS and Evantil would be a good place to start.
  7. Shadows Journeyman

These aren't exactly mountains, but I know it's possible to get very high up in the Guild Lobby (or at least has been in the past)... http://everquest.allakhazam.com/scenery/guildlobby-throne.jpg - I have a character bound on top of one of the huge statues that are jutting out in this screenshot. (I don't know how that's accomplished. Someone COH'd me up there and bound me, and I didn't ask questions.)

And I seem to recall that people have made it to the rooftop of the POK library as well as the rooftop of Karnor's Castle (in the Dreadlands zone).

As for a list... This won't be exhaustive, but maybe a start...

Zones with some natural high mountain peaks (that don't require tricks to get to)...
    - Dreadlands
    - Frontier Mountains
    - The Great Divide
    - Mons Letalis
    - The Bloodfields (whatever's in the background of this image?)
    - Stoneroot Falls (not technicially 'mountains', but some high points)
    - Theater of Blood
    - Sunderock Springs probably has a few
    - Suncrest Isle in the Buried Sea (not sure how high this allows you to get)
    - Shard's Landing has some mountain peaks
    - The Dead Hills has some high points (lots of invisible walls though)
    - Tempest Temple (I've gotten dizzy coming off its volcano, looking down)

Zones with cliff sides, drop-offs, etc...
    - East Karana
    - Plane of Sky
    - The Overthere (overlooking the chasm)
    - Emerald Jungle
    - Temple of Veeshan (north wing fall into the lava)
    - Scarlet Desert (the plateau)
    - The Ruined City of Dranik
    - Arcstone (falls into Freeport, or?)
    - Ashengate (east wing)
    - Blackfeather Roost
    - Direwind Cliffs
    - Valdeholm outside Frostcrypt
    - Vergalid Mines
    - Silyssar (from the floating pyramids)
    - Deadbone Reef in the Buried Sea
    - Solteris, Throne of Ro (not sure if it's possible to jump)
    - The Loping Plains
    - Steam Factory (can't find an image for it, but the drop-off behind Spindlecrank will kill you)
    - Al'Kabor's Nightmare (not sure if possible to jump off islands)
    - Argath, Bastion of Illdaera (this fall can kill)
    - Pillars of Alra
    - Resplendent Temple (coming out of the upper floors)
    - Evantil, the Vile Oak (from the tree's canopy)
    - Grelleth's Palace (overlooking the entry field)
    - Chelsith Reborn
    - Ethernere Tainted West Karana

Others that come to mind...
    - The Ascent, which is one giant mountain complete with a literal summit
    - Can you get on top of the Mechamatic Guardian in Dragonscale Hills?
    - The entrance walkway of Korafax always made me dizzy
    - Relic, the Artifact City has a lot of catwalks
    - Not sure how high you can get on Kurn's Tower in the Field of Scale
    - King's Hill in Beasts' Domain (a must-visit, even though it's not very high)
    Nniki, Xyroff-cazic. and Maedhros like this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Stonebrunt Mountains.

You will actually feel the elevation gain.

You will notice the micro-climate changes when gaining altitude sea level to tropical (south part of zone) to temperate (middle part) to alpine (north part of zone).

The Kejek village and the Titans in the zone at the peak gives a sort of Tibetan Shambhala feel.
  9. Nniki Augur

You can get on top of both the GL statues and PoK library with a combination of levitation and steamjet pack / rocketeer boots.

You can get on top of the building containing Lord Inquisitor Seru in Sanctus Seru this way too, but there are traps up there that will kill you.
  10. Coagagin Guild house cat

So map with /loc and compare the deltas.
  11. Kolani Augur

Uhhh, Solteris? It's literally Norrath's sun, which is way higher than the moon.
  12. Sobmre Augur

I don't know about the highest point, but i know the lowest point is when i do /played and consider my life.........
  13. lancelove Augur

This is a cool post! I was just trying to get some ground spawns in Plane of Smoke that were well, in a spot that required some serious traversing that didnt end up well with the lava below but...through the expansions over the years, traversing stuff whether just to get up to click into the plane of inovation or to get to certain places like the Hive and stuff...:)

Love the subject post!
  14. Derka Power Ranger

When the Mayor in TBM life decided to get drunk and end up on the roof, it made turning in impossible. We had a heck of a parkour competition to get up top. Solid hour of entertainment!
  15. Elenderil Lorekeeper

Well if it helps the definition of a Munro is something like a point from which in all directions it is downhill, so an isolated peak. For Norrath I suppose we add that its not a zone wall or an building we are looking for a summit of a hill or mountain.

I have checked a couple out since my first post. The top of The Ascent is 819.34 (or possibly a bit less I had a lev on at the time). The highest spot I have found is in Stonebrunt mountains. There are several peaks over 1,000 in that zone. The highest is at Loc 4119.50/-488.63/1529.30 (with no Lev on that time) so our current winner is 1,529.38 tall. If that part of the loc is measured in metres then that comes to 5,017 feet not huge but bigger than anything in the UK in real life. Elenderil climbed it a few years ago and hasn't found anything taller (not that he looked too much).

If anyone finds a higher peak I'd be interested.
  16. Ecidew Journeyman

The Large Wiz Spires in Dreadlands is about 2300 EQ units or 1300 units above local floor .. If you climb to top of Dreadlands wall at the Tunnel you can float over Karnor's at about 1300 units above local floor, Still my favorite Lev Run .. Finding lowest spot in Dreadlands -40 EQ Units, puts Dreadlands Wiz Spires at 2340 units high ..

Resplendent Temple .. If you scale the center spire of the temple, Geometry limited me to 1630 EQ units its too hard to stay on spire, but it appears you can climb higher, perhaps 500 units more .. The bottom of cave is -330 EQ units .. This my be greatest peak in a Zone I just don't have the patients to climb that spire ..

Vile Oak best elevation change is 1350, 1276 to -67 EQ units .. As it turns out, few zones have elevation changes more than 1500 though it appears that they do ..
  17. Elyssanda Bardbrain

when I was maxing out the last 50 points of my safe fall, I would go out to old FM climb mountains with levi/selos on, then drop levi.. (FYI I saw my velocity top 200 during this as well)