MotM on Mischief

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Elabone, May 12, 2021.

1. Elabone Augur

I would first like to state that I believe MotM was one of the better changes that were made to the EQ TLPs.

However, given the new ruleset we are about to delve in to. I feel that we should REMOVE MotM after 2 expansions. Once Velious launches there will be almost no reason to use droppable gear from classic (since all gear will be droppable). There will be much better choices for almost every instance. The same can be said with Kunark and Luclin and so on and so forth.

Removing MotM after 2 expansions will allow more casual players to more easily complete their epics, it will allow smaller groups to go back and kill older content, which is always a fun endeavor. Does it trivialize a lot of the mobs? Yes. But by that time it shouldn't matter. The amount of gear that will be available will already be so immense that it will make such a small impact. It doesn't matter if you have 45 Cloak of Flames available when you've got other tradeable items that are much better.

Feel free to flame me. Or respectfully disagree. I'm sure ill get both!
  2. Xhieron Elder

To me this falls into the same category as other "once it's obsolete content it doesn't matter" suggestions--like removing truebox after a certain expansion, or scheduling mergers between servers--so I don't have a principled objection. I think if something like this were to be introduced, two expansions might be a little too soon, though. As I understand it, this is still accurate (correct me if I'm wrong), and it might be as good as it gets. GoD for vanilla MOTM dropping might be a little later than ideal, but honestly it's already at the point at which TLPs start to flag. For certain classes, the 1.0s are still extremely valuable even in GoD, so it's not a total wash.

That said, it's worth thinking about ways to keep the server populated enough over the hump to account for randomization. It's one thing to be unable to farm for things due to physical inability (i.e., mobs are too hard for the group you can muster); it's another to be unable because the drops are randomized and the server population is no longer sufficient to prop up the market. If bumping up the MOTM falloff a few expansions would mean more items drop into the economy longer, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
  3. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Honestly MotM doesn't really matter until about VT. All it does is slow down killing things a bit, which for classic/velious raids doesn't really matter and they're pretty easily groupable a few expansions out. It's by the time that you hit zones where enemies just have giant walls of hitpoints that MotM really stops people from wanting to go back and kill old content in small groups.
  4. Kylo Classic Augur

So it's easier for you to get things to sell for Krono. No thanks.
  5. Laronk Augur

Ahh yes, going back and farming stuff two expansions back should be reserved for people who circumvent the rules and run 20+ accounts rather than 3 friends running a couple boxes.
  6. Baratu New Member

If it's easier to kill mobs, more people will kill them and those items will be a lot more common and a lot less expensive. That would be worse for krono farming, not better.
    Skuz and Xondor like this.
  7. Lejaun Augur

I'm not sure MotM is stopping anyone from making/selling Krono. All it really does is just add on a bit of time to how long it takes to kill. Whether that is good or bad is a different debate.
  8. Gheed Is not reading your response

Casual players already have no issues completing their epics. Small groups of people already have no issues going back and killing older content.

The only thing that bottlenecks epics are long open world camps that get KSed, not raid mobs that are too difficult for you to do 2 expansions later.. You really want to make stuff even easier than it already is?
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Elabone Augur

I expected responses like this, the good news is that most of the longer epic camps have been updated in the last several months to be shorter. But I would really question the ease at which casual players can complete their epics.

How would a warrior joining the game in velious or luclin get a Spiroc wing blade, or dragon scales? How would a bard kill trakanon?

Some of the epics are very easy, yes. So if you make a rogue or cleric or monk you'll have no problems. But some of them are very difficult for a small group of friends. Not everyone has access to 24 people to go back and kill certain mobs.

There is a load of benefits to removing MotM earlier than 5 expansions after. There's absolutely no downside to it, other than "I'm able to box old content already and you're going to make things cheaper".

Everquest is already an easy game. Making near obsolete, old expansion encounters easier is not hurting anyone.
  10. Elabone Augur

Yea, I mean you're clearly a troll. Because no intelligent player would interpret this from the post I made.
  11. Kalipto Augur

I'm all for this. MotM definitely doesn't need to go beyond Velious and certainly feels really bad for Luclin.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The existing motm removal plan is perfectly fine as is in my opinion, it didn't cause any major headaches at all on Phinigel.
  13. Gheed Is not reading your response

I guess I will address your specific examples.

You can do trakanon with 2 groups in Velious with raid gear. You can do Spiroc with less than that in Velious, just need a cleric epic and 2 tanks. Nagafen/Vox are easily 1 groupable in Velious.

A warrior joining the game would join a guild and in turn find people to help with their epic. I cannot think of a single epic that needs more than 2 groups once you are in or past velious with good gear.

You say there is no downside to removing the motm but I, and probably others, disagree. The downside would be that the already easy content would be a straight up faceroll. Just because something like trakanon can be done with 2 groups in Velious does not necessarily mean it is "easy" either. Something being "easy" is relative. You still need proper group makeups and some competent players.

One of my favorite things to do in EQ is going back to older content and doing it with the smallest numbers possible. I think a lot of other people also enjoy doing this. Motm adds a challenge on top of the small numbers. So I guess there is one of the downsides that affects me and my enjoyment of the game.

I can't think of any of the "loads of benefits" from removing motm earlier than it is removed already. I feel that if epics are tough for you to do with your small group of 3 or 4 people, then tough luck. Things being moderately difficult and requiring a minuscule amount of teamwork on a mmorpg does not really warrant them being changed.
  14. Elabone Augur

Most people cannot do trak in velious with 2 groups. Unless you are out of your mind geared. That's not happening. In fact idk if its even possible with great gear.

If someone new joins the server. There's no reason a guild would randomly decide to gather 24 people to go kill trak for that bard unless they desperately needed bards.

If you're only arguement for not removing it. Is that it's already easy. That's a poor arguement.

I'll throw in a compromise then. Reduce the motm buff with each xpac, similar to how it already is applied. Starts with 50, in kunark ALL RAID MOBS get the 40, velious 30 and so on. That significantly changes the difficulty of the mobs but doesn't eliminate the challenge.
  15. Captain Video Augur

We can't even get them to reinstate focus effects (so far); what makes you think they'll be up for a wholesale revamp of the precious MotM rule??
  16. Febb Augur

MotM raid targets are already super easy compared to what they were in era. If your guild is unwilling to help with previous expansion raid targets then it sounds like you're in the wrong guild.
    Skuz likes this.