Most impressive/most difficult EQ accomplishment of all time

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Emphant, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Kolani Augur

I remember it vaguely, max level was 60 at the time though, FV went live long after Velious.
    Skewert and Sinsu like this.
  2. Klober_Dcard Journeyman

i think this has got to go to everquest dev team for making and keeping everquest a relevant game that people still come back too after playing and giving up on newer MMO's
  3. Caxx Journeyman

Skewert, EightBitTony and Naugrin like this.
  4. Songsa Augur

For me Sep5 pre nerf as well.
  5. Battleaxe Augur

I wasn't a member of those guys when they did whatever good thing they did - no particular axe to grind.

When you play an organized game and the ref shows you a red card, its a red card. Should you make a public statement that it was a bad call and it's reviewed and it's still a red card the discussion is over.

I read Conquest's arguments.

I also read SOE's response and quotations from communication between Conquest players during the event provided by SOE. (SOE almost never responds, but Conquest made certain claims and SOE was not going to let them do so unchallenged).

IMO Conquest vs. Sleeper was not a legitimate effort.
    IMO the (other) guild that received the Earring of Sad Exploitation earned the Earring of Sad Exploitation.
    IMO SoTS, even if it had an argument that CoHing in front of another guild after the same named was legitimate, disobeyed instructions not to engage.

I can live with others players disagreeing with me just as people who defend these events have to live with others (particularly the rules makers) not agreeing with them.
    Eteract likes this.
  6. Pather Journeyman

If the question is about overall colective most impressive, I would say keeping game alive for so many years and the sleeper kill.

If it's about individuals, flagging/keying a whole guild through ssra/vt, people waiting at the zone line for hours with the "36 paladin LFG" while other 38 and 39 paladins oocing too. People going through hell levels farming Karnor, Sebilis or Velketor for weeks. Those were impressive. I also admire leaders of family guilds who resisted several massive disbands once their guild gained levels and people moved into raiding. Those kind of things were normal but today you realize how difficult they are.

On my personal point of view, I remember as something hard leading 30ish lady Vox open raid kills and 20ish Naggafen open raid kills for my paladin books. Leading my family casual guild from wiping at the Chardok entrance tunnel once you get to the castle and wiping at Kael's to normal guards (not vindi), up to finishing epics, Plane of Fear, Plane of Sky, old Plane of Hate, Chardok Royals, Trakanon, HoT farming, Klandikar, Zlandikar, Rumblecrush, etc... that was really hard and required lots of efforts.

I also remember helping my raiding guild through ssra and vt farming. During those days I played like 12 hours a day, I was sick, got my emp key in 24 hours, and vt shards in 48 hours, but farming those for guildies like 3 months. I think I've never been to ssra for more than an hour since those days.

Later came the PoJustice trials, man, I was a paladin low geared tank and very low dps when PoP came out, and my regular group for exp was a really underperformance necromancer, low mana cleric trying to catch up on levels, an underperformance wizard semiafk brother of the necromancer, low gear and low level ranger, and enchanter. Beating plane of justice trials with that group was almost imposible. We had to ask for external help and swap a few pieces in order to get through those. I tried so many many times...

I also remember progressing through DoDH with a group of: cleric, enchanter, war and paladin. We had no dps, every kill took ages, I spent so many hours down there in the depths of Neriak as a cleric this time, watching the zone graphics, so impressive btw...

Oh, Coirnav kill! That was impressive. My guild was able to farm easily Fennin Ro and Xegony, and Rathe was just too time consuming but doable, but Coirnav was our blocking final named before Time. We stayed there for MONTHS, we had to face several guild desbands or people becoming inactive due to boredom / desperation and step back to Elemental reflaging, Elemental armor farming, and again up to Coirnav through the other gods. We had to do this like 3 times. We lacked on dps with 72 so we tried with higher numbers up to 100 with lots of boxed acounts, but we couldn't make it. It was a Spanish only guild and we have to accept the players even though their skill or character performance were low because they were the only ones available. Eventually one night, when only 58 of us were left, 2:30 a.m., Coirnav popped and another guild US time run to the zone (we were down at the spot), 100ish of the other guild arrived, 60ish characters from us, and suddenly a third guild starting to move to Water. At the time we were ready to pulll, we had 200ish players around, waves of mobs started comming, we were lagging sooo badly, but we managed to get initial waves down. Then we moved with sooo much lag to Coirnav, we though we were not going to kill it due to the time but somehow it started to go down, and down and down, it was sooo close, but we killed that one. The presure of the lag, the guilds racing us, the epicness, the feeling of harness from the other guilds lagging us moving their roster down to the spot when they knew we were going to pull, took the best out of my guild friends and we made the most epic Coirnav/Raid kills I remember. The next problem was that all the disbands and inactive accounts went back to the guild willing to get into time, so it was 140ish people claiming one of those 72 raid spots, so much politics and board drama...

Another big impressive one was Sendaii, so many wipes, so many tries, such a frustration and desperation level. That was hard, really really hard for my guild also.

Gates of Discord when it came out had some trials not easy at all. I remember one in KodTaz, 1 Quarm/Time equipped warrior, 2 clerics with Elementals and up to Tier 4 time gear, 3 max dps toons, and we had to try so many many times that trial due to the huge damage spikes from the initial named... We tried everything, warrior firing disciplines, clerics splashing heals, clerics turning on splashing / patching in order to get enough mana, tank swapping, pet CC, everything, the ratio between dps and hps amount from that named was so high that we couldn't get him down before 2 healers run out of mana splashing the tank non stop to keep him alive. Eventually we geared up and they tunned it down so we could get through that one easily, but it was definately a real block, between 30 and 50 tries before the first went down.
    Skewert likes this.
  7. Trajet D'Or Augur

Longest between first kill and a kill by any other guild of any intended raid target would be Legacy of Steel and the Avatar of War, somewhere around 3 months. July 27 and Aug 2, 2001 for LoS and then Fires of Heaven whose website no longer exists towards the end of Velious.

Sleeper, Jaled'Dar, a guild leader in Halas that drops a unique dagger, that Freeport mob that was on EGL and various other unintended raid targets have longer gaps but that's largely due to lack of interest in killing something.

Plane of Sky and LDoN raid targets have little enough information and few enough guilds pursuing the targets that it's likely some had gaps of around a month or longer.

Gates of Discord and more recent content is tracked by EGL and the longest gaps for expansion end bosses there are:
    1. 39 days - Realm of Insanity: Triunity (Alaris)
    2. 22 days - Cestus Dei: Mata Muram (Omens)
    3. 20 days - Triality: Two Gods (TBS)
    4. 19 days - Triality: Beltron (TSS)
    5. 13 days - Cestus Dei: Tacvi (GoD)
    6. 13 days - Triality: Kerafyrm (SoF)
    Initial content release of RoF was 7 days for RoI (9 if you count Vulak), everything since was beaten by more than 1 guild the first day.
  8. EightBitTony Journeyman

For me personally, playing the game with some great people, taking a family guild, with all the scheduling challenges that presents, through pre-Time, PoTime, GoD, OoW flagging and raids, and into stuff beyond. We beat a bunch of stuff in DoDh, PoR before the TSS gear caught up with us.

When OMM fell, it was epic.

Did we beat them when they were 'new'? No, did we beat them with hardcore raiders? No. But we beat them with friends.

To me, it was never about beating it as soon as it was out, it was about showing casual gamers some of the greatest content EQ had to offer. While I was out of the game, after thinking I had left for good, I wrote this on my old guild forum as my new year message to them, I still stand by it.

It has always been the people that made EQ what it is. It will always be the people.
  9. Kamea Augur

As others pointed out Tacvi wasn't beaten pre-OOW. You couldn't clear North Wing pre-OOW, the AEs on the first mob were bugged and made it unbeatable. You could get to Tunat via the South Wing, but you couldn't beat it.

Also keep in mind Tacvi gear was weaker pre-OOW. It was ~20 HP more than Qvic gear. The stats and focus effects were buffed after OOW came out. It was fun to do the South Wing pre-OOW, but other than the class weapons, the gear didn't blow people away.

===============

To your original question, I want to give a shout out to any guild factioning for both sides of TSS early in the expansion. Even though plenty of guilds did it, in retrospect, it was amazing it happened. I couldn't see guilds getting people do that much group content today, getting every member to grind boring quests for 10s and hours, and then 10s of hours on the other side.

I played a lot back then so it wasn't a big deal for me, but I was amazed so many in my guild that didn't play a lot stepped up to get it done.
  10. Sokon Augur

My vote goes to completing Hero's Journey.
    Eteract likes this.
  11. Langya Augur

The old school was a mix of most people having not fully refined their play along with content just being straight up harder. Plus, divide between casual and hardcore players was far less back then and probably made content easier to create since there really didn't have to address two demographics. The divide was definitely there but the hardcore was less powerful being lower down on the exponential curve, and the casual players were not as casual as now. If you wanted to do ANYTHING at all in EQ back then, you had to commit the kind of time that way surpassed just burning a lesson and calling it a day. The 10000 hour rule* certainly applied.

*If you dedicate 10000+ hours of time to something, than you are going to be good at it.
  12. Phrett Augur

Conquest = Betamax
  13. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Pre-Nerf Triunity
    Rathe Council on Mac server
    Plane of Time 1.0 on Mac server (version/bugs that no one ever saw on a PC server...) killing everything but Quarm (who was more or less unkillable.. Though we would've LOVED more time to see for ourselves after a few more runs.)

Probably in my top 3 personal "hardest" achievements I've had in EQ.

I do miss the 70-75 level range where people were managing to solo old raid mobs like AoW and XTC etc. What's the last big solo kill you remember hearing? Raids got too complex and required too many people to solo much anymore. And headshot working on raid mobs trivialized way too many of those raids too. I think the last ones I did on my Druid were at 85 or 90 soloing CoA. I'm sure I could do a decent chunk of Demiplane excluding the events that don't allow you to solo/require specific classes like sisters or Roley.

Cause I'm sure plenty of people here remember when Llu soloed AoW.
    Skewert likes this.
  14. hiyawathadan New Member

This isn't really impressive for most, but for me personally, being in the raid to get the server first kill on OMM on Tunare. Our guild was Gale of Destruction, a 3-4 night a week guild, hybrid as we had an attendance percentage requirement of 40% I think in those days, may have been 30%. But, we had a lot of part time raiders, but still managed to kill him before the top guilds on the server did.

A very proud moment for us.
    Skewert likes this.
  15. Phrett Augur

... slightly off-topic, but I miss seeing players every so often with some item that's uber-rare and powerful for the current content. These days, the items are so cookie-cutter and not all that difficult to obtain. I mean the closest thing to what I'm talking about currently is probably that bixie tower shield... but even it's just meh. I miss having rare items, typically weapons because they were visible, in the game (an achievement for those wielding them).
  16. iniari-TR Augur

Tharkis getting most /played time sitting in pok :p
    Jamazar likes this.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Pre-nerf Triunity

Comparing older raids to current raids is like a parent saying that the long division they did in school with a pencil and paper is harder than the calculus you do now because you have a calculator.
    Skewert likes this.
  18. JolineSZ Augur

Reaching last Isle in Sky. People would not accept such a zone anymore nowadays. Were the keys were no rent, you fell down to Freeport without a chance to get back because the key was gone unless you. Keep some people up there and a necro online so the key does not poof, make corpse on first isle and summon them up to rez them there, or bug the corpses by looting them and keep loot window open until it close on its own, so the corpses were still rezzable even 3 hours were over, so people could leave and come back the next day.
    No raid window at that time, so no zonewide invitations, no coh.
    So I remember a lot of exploits, weird tactics, pissed people, angry people and to get your Epic 1, most classes needed Sky.
    Obiziana and TheQxx like this.
  19. TheQxx Augur

Truth. My first PoSky raid was around 17 hours long and we got as high as Spiroc Island...and people were enjoying it.
    Eteract and Obiziana like this.
  20. Siwin Nonesuch Elder

I'd have to Say my Shawl 2.0/Aug (So sad its been super nerfed though) Simply because it took me SOOooo long to do it. I mean I started out by having to completely reverse my Velious faction from when I had it set from way back then from Frost Giants to Coldian. Then maxing out all trade skills (Never again will I be doing that LOL) Then getting Shawl 1.0.Then getting Underfoot Shawl 2.0 and then getting the First Creation head. I think I got it 9th win if I remember right with the guild I was in at the time.

A little off topic here.
    That would be SO cool if there was a raid or a mob or event that absolutely required the cooperative efforts of the servers top guilds and players to defeat again, like the Sleeper. I'm talking like 100 people all in top notch coordination at a single time, all at the same time where an event starts and ends within a given time frame. Say an hour or so or it resets or everyone wipes.
    I feel the Mechanic Guardian Anniversary event IS NOT this.
    In fact, I feel the Mech Guardian Anniversary event causes more strife then cooperation i've noticed over the years since it was introduced.
    Something as simple as say 5 Commander Galenth's comes running out and you have no Dragon to tank it and you can't kite it etc etc from the Raid Expedition: The Defense of Lendiniara.
    Wayylon likes this.