Most impressive/most difficult EQ accomplishment of all time

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Emphant, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Emphant Lorekeeper

I was thinking about this today...what do you think is the most impressive thing accomplished in EQ? I'd have to say Fires of Heaven getting to the 7th isle in Plane of Sky pre-kunark.

Also, and I could be wrong, but didn't only one guild clear either Tacvi and/or Anguish before the next expansion came out? That's gotta be on the list somewhere too if it's true.
  2. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Sticking around for 15 years.
    Loratex, Arwyn-RoV, Esero and 14 others like this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm pretty sure no one beat Tacvi before OOW came out, top guild was still raiding with devs to iron out issues if my memory serves me well, longest beta ever :p
  4. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Death of The Sleeper to ~200 (or more?) people on RZ. They got him to 26%, he was depopped by GMs, and respawned the next day (with an apology on the EQ forums). (more info)

[IMG]
    Tucoh, Loratex, moogs and 6 others like this.
  5. Mary Poppins Augur

I would go with the sleeper kill, too. That was crazy. Only one chance to get it right or the event is gone forever on your server, and they did it.

On Zek of all places too... I remember hearing that a wizard got the kill shot, but got ganked by someone else on the raid before he could think to get a screenshot.
    moogs and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  6. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Tacvi wasn't beaten before OoW
    Anguish wasn't beaten before DoN
    The sleeper was only killed because NPC HP regen was bugged at the time so it didn't regen properly
    Skewert and Kolani like this.
  7. Aeonblade Very Hungry Vah Shir

Soloing anything with a warrior pre mercenary. Seriously, nothing like finishing a fight against a blue with 20% hp left and using a stack of bandages then sitting for 30 minutes. I got I don't know how many levels this way on my warrior when I could not find a group.

Also, completing most of PoP progression with pick up groups on one of my characters. That was some hair pulling endurance testing stuff right there.
    Skewert, KateL7, Mayfaire and 2 others like this.
  8. FcsevenXIII Augur

Isn't BIC the hardest quest in the game? I would suggest the first few people to complete it when Gates was current. No handholding quest journals or Alaakazam write ups at the time.

Maybe the devs could someday share a list of the first to solve quests like that if they were keeping track at the time. It would be interesting to see the names of who were the first serverwide to complete each class epic,ect.
  9. Phrett Augur

this
  10. Mikestab Elder

Keep a guild alive and vibrant for several years. That's quite a feat!
    Coagagin, Garshok and TheQxx like this.
  11. Axxius Augur

The Sleeper kill.
  12. Kiillz Augur

for me....waking the Sleeper on Quellious.
  13. Falos Augur

I'd agree with the sleeper kill, even factoring in the regen bug it was still the hardest encounter by far of the time, but thats not really what made it the most impressive feat, the thing that made it truly impressive was the fact that the most combative server in the entire game put aside their pvp differences and worked together with several guilds to coordinate the death of something that was stronger than anything ever before seen in the game.

unrelated to that:
    Also a lot of quests were completed with some degree of inside info, epics, etc, they didnt have full spoilers but they did have a fair amount. despite this though there were also many quests that did not have inside info, I could be mistaken but I think a lot of the plane of mischief was solved by players without that inside info, there was even a plane of mischief website dedicated to solving the quests etc, that was another thing in eq that I found to be very impressive.
    moogs likes this.
  14. Trajet D'Or Augur

Inner Acrylia.

To motivate a guild to key for Inner Acrylia and work on those events while there was a flashing neon warning sign that the top guilds are placing a huge focus on Vex Thal over IA and at least some of those guilds must know something is likely the most difficult thing.

No matter how many rezzes it took to beat The Sleeper or how many wipes Triality had to Commodus or whatever guild to whatever event when you know you need to beat that event to get the best loot in that expansion it's far easier to motivate people to work on the event.

A number of guilds struggled with events from Uqua and Sendaii to Pillars and Xorbb. Now imagine trying to get people to work on those events if you could get to Tacvi, Demi, Sepulcher and Heart of Fear without doing those events.
    Eteract likes this.
  15. Fle2ch Elder

Were to start.
    Breaking in and raiding the NTOV was amazing. I never dreamed that zone was so big inside, it took us 2 days to complete it we had a mass log out /and back in the next day to complete it.

Killing the emperor in Ssraeshza temple the first time was unforgettable.

For some strange reason raiding the plane of growth had a lasting impact weird mobs and that huge tree.

When you partake in these events you realise the designer was a genius.

Killing Vindi the first time was a buzz too as we had tried him quite a few times and my guild was not the biggest around.
    Skewert and KateL7 like this.
  16. Edrick Augur

I have to echo the sentiment on The Sleeper kill. Its at the top of the list of the most significant MMORPG events of all time next to Lord British getting killed in Ultima Online's beta because he forgot to set his invulnerable tag.

I know a friend who was playing his cleric on RZ during The Sleeper kill. He lost quite a few levels, and was doing nothing but ressing. You should get a thumbs up icon above your head if you were involved in that kill. I wish he was still playing.
    moogs likes this.
  17. Mikestab Elder

A bit of a tangent but so many of these memories are old school. What is your most recent challenge that gave you a big sense of accomplishment? Or do you think we don't really see those types of struggles anymore.
  18. Braveheart Augur

Finding and Marrying the woman who will finally out last Everquest. This is a compliment to her; I'm not implying EQ's death is lurking.

Oh I didn't meet her in Everquest. She hates Everquest. LOL
  19. Falos Augur

I think the primary reason is because there are not many extreme challenges or things to be super proud of in todays EQ,

Underfoot I suppose had some exceptional challenges but also the entire middle tier of that expansion was mainly blocked off due to buggy scripts for a long time. HoT and COTF don't really have any noteworty challenges in the raid or group game. Alaris had a few challenging conquests in both the raid and group game, and RoF had a couple as well but for the most part these are nothing compared to some of the things in the old game (even factoring nostalgia out of the equation)
  20. Sostenes Augur

obtaining a cloth cap