Most equiped molo class these days...(long post)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tinolien, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Tinolien Journeyman

Returning to everQuest after a couple year hiatus and I would like to pick up a class that can’t solo/molo names mobs. I know just about every class can do it, but I would like a class that has most of the rolls/tools included. Example: I know a mage would work great, but a message also cannot split or break camps.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be playing on phinny if that helps at all

Basically my question is many layers deep:

1) what tools or roles are vital these days? Cc? Pulling? Slow? Splitting?
    Are these any of these critical to handling a broad range of circumstances I’ll enocunter? Are some of these less important than they once were?

Here’s what I’ve gsthered from asking folks in game and posting/reading a million posts here:

In order of effectiveness/capability:

Necro- doesn’t have slow, has root cc, pulls, dps, but weak in the tank department. Can either pet tank or tap tank mobs/named that cannot be kited or that summon. But no slow makes this a poor choice for hunting named

Mage- no slow, no split/pull, no cc, pet tank pretty damn well but summoning mobs screw that. And no cc makes splitting camps with named in it impossible

Sk - no cc or slow, weak dps, but great tank and pulls. If the named has lots of hps, i might just end up watching my cleric mercs go oom and wipe before the named is slain

Beast - OK tank, no pulls, no cc, has slow Similar to a mage in my mind. If the fight doesn’t require tools, they excel. If the fight does require tools, you’re effed(honestly not a lot posted on the forums about beastlords molo)

Shaman - has slow, heals, root/punt cc, no tank, no pulls. Merc tank doesn’t work after 65-70 so a shaman will just be face tanking it’s prey? Doesn’t actually seem like a bad plan but would hate to level to 70 only to find it doesn’t work haha also on phinny, next expac brings mobs that can’t be slowed fully?

Would love any and all feedback. Please avoid the “play what you enjoy” I’ve never made it to endgame in Eq. So help me pick a solid character to get there then i can decide what i enjoy!
  2. Zanarnar Augur

Slows: Shaman -> Enchanter -> BST
    75% -> 70% -> 65%

Trust me, even mitigated it makes a big difference. If you want as a bst you can even make your pet proc a 70% slow (the proc buff has limited charges) but honestly the 65% one does the job well. No CC is correct, and until underfoot no real pull tools either.. with underfoot comes the first rank of Feign Death.. has a long recast and an 80% chance of working but its an option at least.

Necro's can slow and mez undead mobs, FWIW.

Can't comment on much else there... good luck whatever you pick.
  3. code-zero Augur

When I play a mage, admittedly very seldom, I have swarm pets offtank for CC. That will keep you on your toes.

Why not an Enchanter?
  4. Tinolien Journeyman

I could definitely do enchanter. How would that molo look?
  5. code-zero Augur

6. MaxTheLion Augur

What a strange desire.
  7. Damezza Augur

Hahah I’m sure he meant CAN!
  8. Yimin Augur

Necro can slow ! But only undead !

YiMin
  9. Tinolien Journeyman

10. code-zero Augur

There is a technique called charm burning where you chain charm adds and sic them on the named but like any attempt to take down a named you're going to need to get some practice in first
  11. Hadesborne Augur

A necro with a healer merc can take down alot of named mobs. the only issue a necro has when soloing is surviving long enough to stack all of the dots that are needed to kill the named. n This becomes a moot point with a healerm merc as the necro can stack all the dots, then start tap tanking to maintain full health the entire time. Mercs allow necros to take down a ton of group named and evantually they will be soloing raid bosses in era. But that is just my 2cp. If only their group and raid DPS was up to snuff, well maybe it will come with the Fabled Necro Revamp mob this coming march. (if only).