Monks....

Discussion in 'Melee' started by JPete, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Kurayami Augur

Whoa hold the phone here, some leather classes are actually useful nowadays? When did this happen? Seriously though, monks need something, toss the druids a bone while you are at it, try not to let the BL warder steal it. Hearing someone is a monk or druid warrants an automatic apology from me typically, I pity them greatly.
  2. Samtan Lorekeeper

Monks do need a DPS boost.
  3. Maereax Augur

I'm late to the party, but to reply to multiple posts I saw while reading through the thread:

For those of you saying monks have FD, explain why that is relevant to our DPS. Every class in the game has a fade now, and every class other than zerkers, shadowknights and shamans (only one of which actually do dps) fade effects their DPS less than a monks . Also, Rogues have the most powerful and frankly overtuned agro ability in the game with their misdirection line making pretty much every complaint about our ability to FD agro completely unjustified.

For those saying we're pullers, for your own information, nothing in raid content requires pulls anymore. CToV has some trash if you really want to get technical, but none of it requires splitting and that has no effect what-so-ever on how an event plays out. Years and years ago, in zones like frostcrypt or solteris, you needed monks and bards on pull teams because trash was an actual concern. It required special care to be taken and that was one (albeit a poor one) reason to bring a monk on raids. SoF and Sod were the final days of "pulling" being an excuse to bring a class on a raid.

For those saying monks have high survivability and mend, yes, congratulations, you've actually come up with >one< reason for us to be any amount behind in DPS. One monk specific trait that is relatively unique to our class. There are plenty of other classes with plenty of other unique traits that are not punished for these, However. That brings us to the point most of us are trying to make.

We're not asking for the #1 DPS spot on raids. We've been fighting for this for so long and ignored so many times, we'd be happy to settle for second best. We are asking for ~10% behind those 'top' classes, but ahead of:

Rangers(multiple ADPS abilities, buffed to have our/knights over-softcap returns on AC, better agro generation/removal, hybrid-level heals, necessary raid buffs) - Rangers are in a good place right now I believe. They're strong in dps and bring multiple benefits to a raid. This is not a nerf-rangers call

Beastlords(The single best ADPS ability in the game currently, pets that tank better than most tanks, slows, hybrid-level heals, necessary raid buffs, paragon, did i mention slows?, high failure rate FD) - Beastlords are very strong right now. I don't know if they're crossing the line between overly-strong or if they're just on the high end of strong. Regardless, This is not a nerf-beastlords call

I won't talk about casters because I don't know them well enough.

To emphasize my point: This is not a nerf-anything call. This is a fix (not buff, mind you, we want our broken class fixed, not our properly turned class upgraded) for Monks and Monks alone.

The easiest and probably best change (in my opinion) that could be made is to bring back our innate higher damage tables and boosting our abilities to be in-line with the other melee.

As a disclaimer, when i say in-line, i mean 'The proper amount behind' (For example, as Tanecho said, right now monks and rogues have an extremely similar ability for use with our primary burn discs. Theirs is called (click for the descriptions) Rogue's Fury, ours is called Infusion of Thunder. Both are designed to add a damage modifier to our burns. Theirs has 14 ranks and adds 210% at max, ours has three ranks and adds 80% at max. Theirs also adds hundred hands, and a crit modifier, of which ours has neither. Ours does have a 1900 damage proc on it, but i suspect that hurts our damage rather than helps it.)
    Zoowiz and sojuu like this.