Monks in 2022- wherefore art thou?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Cicelee, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Cicelee Augur

I am nearly finished with TOL on my magician and am looking towards my next character. I know with TOL that several classes received some nice things. Rangers are plentiful head shotting mobs, magicians are doing well, rogues seem to be happy, etc. As I look in zones to see what classes people are playing, I rarely (if ever) see monks.

I thought monks were doing well in COV. Are they no longer viable in today's expansion? FWIW I plan on my monk being a group monk that is mostly solo, and might try to do progression with my box bard (mage and monk are on same account). But I don't want to invest time and energy into something I physically cannot do (group monk doing TOV/COV/TOL progression alone or with box bard).

Welcome all comments.
  2. Symbius Augur

You would probably find it more satisfying going Rogue or Ranger, depending on if you like melee more or standing back and caster-ish. The rate at which Assassinate and Headshot fire is absurd and just destroys group the blue conntent.

Monks are in a similar spot as Berserkers right now. Still decent DPS, but behind the rest. Especially on dark blue content, which will probably be around for another 2 years of Luclin.

That said, you shouldn't have any issues doing the ToL quests on anything really. Especially if you have the bard box there to pop out a Cleric+Tank Merc.
  3. Riou EQResource

Problem is that other classes do everything better then Monks can, so there is kind of no point to them, nothing has improved on this front for the most part since like rof/cotf or so
    Lisard likes this.
  4. Thunderkiks Augur

Monks ready done, on to the next chars lol. I only have 163 :p
  5. roth Augur

That’s a little pet peeve of mine .. “wherefore” means “why” … so the title thread is asking “why monk in 2022?” …

Sadly, I cannot come up with an answer as to why someone would monk in 2022. They enjoy it? Sadly, most people I know who played monks have left EQ for one reason or another …
    Regulus and DaciksBB like this.
  6. Lisard Silly

Ganzito and Aristo outright ignore and dont understand the monk class, if you want to be all around dissapointed and neglected on both fronts (raiding and Class Improvement by the developers) by all means roll a monk.

Rogue, Ranger and BST are going to be the far superior melee dps classes if you wanted to reroll from godking class of Magician (now is like primetime to be a mage, why on earth do you wanna reroll lol)
  7. Disapointed Lorekeeper

appears they listen to sancus, seeing as mages went from good to demigods... Maybe have him advocate for the poor state of monkdom
  8. DaciksBB Augur

playing monk in games where they're loved...
  9. Sancus Augur

Nah.
    [IMG]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Romance, Wayylon, Duder and 2 others like this.
  10. Cicelee Augur

I never said anything about rerolling LOL

My mage is going to be done with type 5 augments, hunter, and will be in a position to use overseer to get all of TOL collections on first day of the next expansion. I also have all my important AA at max (sorry Burning Sands or whatever it is called). I have a 115 monk that has the COV raid 2hb and a bunch of crap EOK raid gear. I think monk buffed is at 265k hp. Yikes.

I can either mess around with the monk and do stuff, or just raid and that is it. I started the thread to see if a group monk could do progression as a solo class and/or with a bard box. If it is not feasible, then I will just raid and do other things...
  11. HeatherPurrs Augur

I started the thread to see if a group monk could do progression as a solo class and/or with a bard box

Not feasible.

As was said previously, there is no reason to play a monk. it's a waste of time.
    lumdaen likes this.
  12. Astral64 Augur

13. Szilent Augur

The bar is now "is my class powerful enough to move through the game as if it were six classes acting in concert?" Is that what it means to be okay?
    Duder and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  14. Riou EQResource

It was possible to do everything but group missions pretty much as a molo monk back from like sod-cotf
  15. Sup Rog Elder

LOL, that's your pet peeve? How many people you actually ever heard say Wherefore, besides this thread? Come on. Anyways, they kinda are asking Why should they play a monk in 2022.

Play a monk in 2022, so I can actually say for sure, that someone actually plays a monk. I haven't seen a monk or wizard in ages.
  16. HeatherPurrs Augur

No. His question was about progression and the second partisans in tov can't be done without a player tank.

Feel free to play a monk. Just know monks are bringing second best at best to your group in every possible category. If this was fifth grade gym class, Monks are the kid who always gets picked last... Everyone feels bad about it but he just is worse than anyone else at doing anything.
  17. Cicelee Augur

There are certain classes that are able to molo current expansion mercenary/partisan tasks given a certain amount of gear and AA. Others are able to do so with a partner/box.

As mentioned, a monk with a certain level of gear/AA used to be able to molo current tasks. My monk is not near that level, but I do have a bard box. I just wanted to know if this is something I could do alone, or am I going to need help.

I am not trying to set a bar. I am not trying to say that class abc is over powered and class xyz is under powered. I just wanted opinions to see if I could do this project, or am I going to need other things (more gear, more AA, more people, etc). That is all.
    Quatr likes this.
  18. Snazster Elder

Let's drop back and consider the monk's lack of a distinct raid role.

We still have some value. With 5 monks in the raid, my guild has beaten eight of the nine ToL raids so far. And yet . . . we seem to be becoming second class citizens (again).

Actually, let's consider all the classes and their raid roles. I only care about raid roles because, ultimately, that is what determines the viability of a class. Plus, an alternate title for this post would be titled: "Monks Need a Raid Role" not "Monks Need Some Other Kind of a Role Besides a Raid Role."

Even ignoring buffs, each class has a raid role. Each class has something they are the best at, or a unique and potent combination of things . . . except monks.

Warrior: archetype tank
    Cleric: archetype healer
    Wizard: archetype nuker
    Enchanter: archetype crowd control, slower
    Berserker: archetype melee dps (other than strictly from behind)
    Rogue: archetype melee dps (strictly from behind)
    Necromancer: archetype damage over time
    Ranger: archetype for ranged non-magical dps
    Bard: archetype force multiplier, melee dps, crowd control, and fastest puller

Mage: unique combo of very strong pet and nuker, with unique utility spells
    Beastlord: unique combo of very strong pet and melee dps, can restore mana and endurance
    Paladin: unique combo of healer and tank
    Shadow Knight: unique combo of necro and tank
    Druid: unique combo of healer and nuker
    Shaman: unique combo of healer, damage over time, slower, pet

And finally:

Monk: melee DPS (and there are other classes that do it better)

Pulling is no longer a raid role due to current content design and, even before it ceased to be of value, the role had largely been transferred to bards who can do it far faster, even if not quite as well (speed counts, and it has been a long time since three mobs in camp meant it was time to camp a cleric). Avoidance tank was never much of a thing at raid levels, but it is long gone.

So that leaves just DPS. But the devs gave that to rogues and berserkers. The rogues have to do theirs from behind but that doesn't seem to hinder them that I can see. And the berserkers will still be doing quite a bit more than the monks from any angle, even if not as much as the rogues can do from behind the mob.

"Well," people say, "the monk can do other things." Nope, not true. Pulling, at least monk-style pulling, is pretty much useless on raids and has been for over a decade. We certainly can't tank, can't even offtank, without using some very time-limited AAs. That left only melee DPS.

Relative DPS was amped up around the time of Veils of Alaris, but has been steadily falling behind ever since, and even if they suddenly changed that, switching melee DPS parse positions back and forth with the berserkers every few expansions is hardly a solution.

Monks need a raid role.

I've been thinking on that since that terrible riposte nerf a few years back. Riposting as much as we do, removing our ability to riposte a riposte was devastating.

Give us back ripostes of ripostes. Give us a good enough riposte that we can actually attack mobs from the front and do MORE damage than we can from behind. Make us the anti-rogues. The logic being that martial arts is often about turning an opponent's strength back upon them. Riposte would be the vehicle to do that. In fact, amp it a bit more so that we could actually riposte some of the attacks aimed at the tank if we are standing next to them. Now THAT would be a raid role.

Or make us able to be avoidance tanks if that's too radical for the devs.

Either that or start designing raids that use monk-style pulling again cuz I really miss that (a big part of the reason I went to other games for 7 years or so was because the devs pretty much turned over all the pulling to bards--and while I was gone they pretty much eliminated it altogether and just replaced it with shoveling mobs into the raid's maw in a steady stream as fast as possible, before they replaced that with trash-free raid mobs that stand around like statues while we gather at their feet and prepare to kill them at our convenience).

P.S. Being able to dual wield a katana and wakizashi would be cool, too, but way less important than having a real raid role again.

P.P.S. And what's the deal with FD? I used to FD hundreds of times a night on raids several times a week when I was pulling back in Kunark, Velious, Luclin, and PoP, and only get an FD fail about once a month. Now I FD only a couple dozen times a night and I typically see several fails. Stealth nerfs are not cool.
  19. HeatherPurrs Augur

Seeing someone try and form a "logical" argument and attempting to "fix" monk issues is so classic EQ.

FYI monks' path to "EQWhy" was a hot topic in 2005 and as was the ShadowKnight class. At the time both classes were looking at role defining changes (pulling, End, FD and durability for monks and SK DPS and Mana and End issues) that would lead to the end of the class or the class inevitably ending up massively OP.

Well monks had a class rep at the time that didn't want to see monks get OP. Shadowknights' class rep didn't want to see SKs disappear.

How did our class representation go monks?
  20. Cadira Augur

Monks are doing fine as a pure dps. And their synergy is to die for.

Should monks get some improvement to uptime/cool down on some of their discs? I think so. But a good monk is right up there with the rest of them most the time.

The problem is....monks who parse poorly "are just not good monks". It's sad but that's simply the case. That's not the developers problem but the individual's problem.
    Duder, Szilent and Conq like this.