Monk viability in group play?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Makalicious, May 10, 2018.

1. Makalicious New Member

I'm returning to game after long break after OOW with some friends. Our current group makeup is monk/shm (me) and warrior/enc/zerk/ranger. I want to be clear here that we will only be doing group content as I will not have time for raiding again. I rolled a monk to be primary puller but I guess the bigger question is how are they in group play? Are pullers even a thing anymore or would I be better off just playing a second zerker?
  2. Moege Augur

With that setup a second zerker would be of more value, enchanter/ranger can pull. If it is just the 2 of you then I would actually stick to playing the monk as splitting the tank/pull is easier between 2 people.

That said, I love my monk and he is a blast to play.
  3. RangerGuy Augur

You have to play what you enjoy.

But my two cents if you like to dps their are better options like a caster or zerker if you want to play a melee. If you don't mind the lower dps for having a bit more hardiness than monks can be a lot of fun. With the way the game is and how tough the spell effects are in RoS monks like most others are just dps. There isn't much that needs splits and that bit more hardiness really doesn't translate all that well in most cases unless you have raid gear and weapons and become the tank for most stuff.

Or said another way you will basically always give up 50k dps or more compared to other dps classes for the benefit of occasionally having the option to buy your group time if the tank goes down, but only if you get your disc off in time and can grab aggro in a trouble spot. Speaking from a pure group geared situation.
  4. Makalicious New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I love the fast melee type classes and in turn like most hybrids/mellees. I would enjoy playing monk/bst/zerk and originally picked monk just based on my old mindset of "every group needs a puller". I wanted to go bst as well but saw too much overlap with shaman.
  5. Symbius Augur

I find zerkers kind of boring compared to the Monk just from a DPS playstyle, but if all you care about is maxing DPS #'s then for sure go Zerker. That I Win Dicho button and Decap on group stuff is absurdly powerful.

There is really no reason to bother with a puller these days as long as your Tank is capable. That chanter in the group is going to make most all of it trivial anyway.
  6. Makalicious New Member

Also what am I doing wrong that I am constantly drained of endurance after using like 2 discs? I'm 71 so I saw there is an endurance regen at 72 but is that enough of a game changer?
  7. RangerGuy Augur

Yeah its really their dicho. It has to average out to like 2 million damage every 60 seconds.

Not sure why monks and rogues got shafted with 5 minute dicho reuse verse everyone else's being 60 seconds.

Even if they reduced monks and rogues dicho to 60 seconds it would take 1100-1500 hits in 60 seconds to match what a zerkers seems to average, which isn't happening.
    mmats likes this.
  8. Filter Augur

Monk's are a blast to play. I main a zerker but have a monk alt that I honestly dont know how to play it. I should change that!
    RangerGuy saying it's an average of 2 million dmg every 60 seconds from dicho.... Not in my experience from group gear.
    Play what you want suits your play style.
  9. RangerGuy Augur

I didn't mean to make it sound like fact, I said "it has to be something around there". Mobs melt when its used. The three hits cap at 750,000 each iirc and high end zerkers can critical something like 60% of the time passive when you work in epic effect. Plus you get 10 hits at a 90% cripple rate.

But if a monk and rogue had 60 second reuse dicho I think it would level the playing field in a group game with zerkers still supreme from their burn power.
  10. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Monks are very good in group content. The differences between the melee dps classes only really become a big deal when you get into raids, because the group layouts will differ with the classes which can eek out more dps being given the better adps support in their groups on average.
  11. kyong Augur

Agree. What were they thinking. So out of whack.....
  12. Snazster Elder

In a typical exp group I do about 60% of the dps according to my parse. I like to think I'm pulling my weight.

Bear in mind monks don't have an AOE (not really), don't have a headshot ability or an assassinate ability (would be nice if we had an equivalent spinesnapping kick or some such) so your mileage may vary.

If you are asking if we are viable compared to a zerker, I don't know. I cannot recall grouping with any outside of raids (where, in my experience, high-end monks tend to parse right up with the top mages, rogues, and rangers -- especially against mobs that don't force us to avoid aoe attacks or involve a lot of target switching).
  13. DaciksBB Augur

so long as you cycle your burns, you'll do fine in groups. then again anyone who doesn't disc won't be doing much