monk: strike through getting knocked off

Discussion in 'Melee' started by svann, May 15, 2020.

1. svann Augur

I wanted to parse whether strike through might be worth using instead of firestorm of fists so I got on the combat dummy. Without using anything but autoattack and autoskills, strike through was removed within 5 seconds. Being in the guild hall it shouldnt be ending at all until I remove it or zone, but something is knocking it off. Looking at the chat log Im not seeing anything happening that might be the cause. Does it have invisible counters?

I didnt really expect it to be worth using over FoF but I didnt expect it to be this worthless. Bug?
    parse:
    --- Banestrike - 1
    --- Eye Gouge XXVIII - 4
    --- Fists of Fury I - 2
    --- Resonant Kick XXXIII - 3
    --- Resonant Strike XXXIII - 4
  2. Szilent Augur

43014 Strike Through Rk. III
    WAR/105 MNK/104 145/tick
    10m T12 30s+ n/a Self
    Max Hits: 59 Outgoing Hit Attempts
    Hate: 1
    1: Increase Chance to Hit by 10000%
  3. svann Augur

what a silly disc
  4. Sokon Augur

that's right, that line of disc has always had a timer as well as an associate number of hits that will cause it to end as well before the length of it's timer.

This line of discs starting with jab through have all been completely useless in the PVE game since their implementation.

I can't think of a single mob ability that gives it more dodge or parry or something that with the use of this disc helps you avoid. The disc does not give strikethough percent, it gives accuracy. So mobs that riposte like all the sarnaks in RoS, this disc is useless against.
    Literally 0 use whatsoever in PVE, Can anyone think of any use for it on any mob ever?....

Monk chance to hit on any mobs has always been >100% in PVE for like 7 expansions or something, IDK, it's been a long time since we needed anymore accuracy.

That all being said, as I have played on the Zek server on and off over the years and currently have been back there for 2 months now I have to tell you, this is my go to disc in PvP, in fact I don't think I have gotten a kill with any other disc other than this one for many years.

100% chance to hit is huge in PvP. Pretty sure I am currently the only active monk on Zek, so right now I am literally the only person benefitting in any way from this disc line, lol.

But ya, you aren't gonna see any difference in dps whether this disc is on or off in PVE. Accuracy just doesn't matter. Nor does several ranks of our AA lines that give accuracy.
  5. Szilent Augur

This doesn't appear correct. The most fabulously geared monk there's ever been (2900ish hDex with trophies on, the good tribs & all 4 +accuracy type18/19s, grouped with a rog for Theif's Eyes) had 95% accuracy versus one of our raids tonight, 94% in the next, 95.5% , 94.5 ... all quite high, obviously, but not absolute. Better, observably, than my own consistent 91.5% as a warrior. But not absolute.
  6. Astral64 Augur

Szilent is correct. Even at a little over 3k hdex we still have room to grow on accuracy. The mob you are fighting can also be a variable.

However, the Strike Through disc is entirely useless in PVE.
    Szilent likes this.
  7. Sokon Augur

oh interesting. Ok, ya I haven't raided or looked at a parse from raids since EoK, at that time and going back several expansions Monk's never missed a hit on any raid encounters and had even received more accuracy/strikethrough AA's on top of that. I assumed it was the same going forward.

Perhaps, and seeings how strikethrough is jsut for a number of hits, they could remove it's timer function and make it work similar to the shaded step ability where it can be used during a disc and go to song window. Could give you another 5% more hits during those 1 min burn fights for about 2-3 seconds I guess while you are blowing heal, would move from completely useless to semi useless lol
  8. Astral64 Augur

You seem to be confusing strikethrough with accuracy. At no point, including in EoK, have monks "never missed a hit on any raid encounters".

Having 100% strikethrough is -not- the same as 100% accuracy.
    Szilent likes this.
  9. Sarcogian Augur

So the Strike Through gained through raising HAgi is null for monks?
  10. Szilent Augur

monks been capped strikethrough since Depths of Darkhollow
  11. Sarcogian Augur

:/ just like Fists of Wu being released then outdated in the same time frame for raid group.
  12. Szilent Augur

oop, I was conflating the riposte immunity with Strikethrough. Full Strikethrough was achieved for monks in Underfoot (had to look that one up)