Monitor choice

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Frinkle Yum'Chai, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Frinkle Yum'Chai New Member

Hey Everyone,

Just a question regarding what monitors players use. My main question is if a 4-5ms monitor vs 1ms makes much of a difference for EQ? I have a 22inch 4MS monitor and it seems fine. I am going to get a 27 or 30 in the next few weeks. Is it necessary at all to have a 1ms monitor for EQ? I don't play any other games. Any input would be great thanks.
  2. svann Augur

No I dont think the 1ms monitor will help eq.
    Im using a benQ 2765
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

I would say no, 1 ms screens is for reaction games.

Some players with wide screens have a special setup, where they leave space in the sides where buttons and menus are rendered, and a more square shaped area in the center where the game renders the 3D part of the game, It _might_ be that this gives the optimum zoom out optoin, meaning that the player can zoom father out, but I have no idea if this is true.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Curious. Is there any information available out there about this?
  5. Horyuken Augur

6. Symbius Augur

I use a 34" ultra-wide at 3440x1440 resolution. EQ doesn't really scale well with it if you fill up the entire screen, so you have to do a /viewport and shrink the sides some to make it a more traditional wide-screen for the playing area.

That means you are left with empty black sides, but you can move all of your hotbars and things to those areas, which allows you to see more of the playing area with nothing covering it up.

I was worried that text would be too small with such a high resolution since EQ doesn't have a UI scaling option, but it really isn't too bad and I have horrible vision to begin with.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  7. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I never knew about the /viewport command, I might have to tinker around with it. I run 2x 24" monitors and it works great. If I 2 box I can have each Char on their own screen or if I'm just playing 1 char I can have quest info or TS recipes or what ever on the other screen.
  8. Frinkle Yum'Chai New Member

Thanks for the info guys; It's interesting that on larger widescreens there is a clipped area on the sides of the screen. I guess the game really wasn't designed for ultrawide monitors. With a 27 inch widescreen I shouldn't incur those strips on the side?
  9. Horyuken Augur

No, it will fit the area.

Using the /viewport command you can make the viewable area any size you want. With a bigger monitor you can do this and leave space on the sides so you don't obstruct your view with hotbars.
  10. Riou EQResource

The ms thing they advertise on monitors its kind of a useless stat

The only ms thing you need to care about is Input Delay, but monitors are usually generally good about that, it is only mainly TV as display where they generally suck and are much higher # (though a bunch also have 'game' mode to try and get the # down)

Unless you care about other games (mainly like FPS or Action where high FPS is a good benefit to have), you can't really go wrong with any 100-150$ range monitor with decent reviews

Amazon Prime day is on 7/16 iirc, they will prob also have discounts potentially on monitors if you ever use Amazon
  11. Muji Augur

I recently switched from a 40inch 4k Samsung tv which runs at 60hz to a 27inch 1440p 144hz monitor, and could tell a huge difference in EQ. Its really smooth even while running in circles in guild lobby. I was gonna upgrade from a geforce 970 to 1070 or get a new monitor and im glad I chose the monitor. Ive been exposed to 144hz and I am never going back!
    Riou likes this.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

I run at 5120x2280 on a 27".

Your system/gpu has far more to do with things than your monitor (other than the obvious visual aspects)
  13. Yimin Augur

I just use 40 inch flat screen tv...

YiMin
  14. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

Everyone will tell you different based upon their trained eye or lack there of or their perceived needs.

Personally I think it is worth it but it’s because I have direct applications in other areas other than Everquest that make it a no brainer.

Did I see a big difference when using a awesome monitor versus slow and semi dated tv, sure did. But for most I’m guessing they’d just be happy with a big screen. I know too many people who are playing on super small laptops or old screens that would get a huge increase in their quality of life and immersion using a bigger better screen. Not always in everyone’s budget tho. :/
  15. IblisTheMage Augur

Would using /viewport allow me to zoom further out? I play on a 1440p 27’’ (28’’?)
  16. Numiko Augur

I use a 32" Samsung Curved screen monitor and EQ looks great on it. Not sure what the refresh rate on it is.

It's not Quad Def just standard Hi Def but It's good enough for me! :)