Model updates? Would be pretty awesome

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tierdal, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Zanarnar Augur

I'd be very happy with the current luclin models but with improved animations. I'd wager a lot of folks here would feel the same. It would be nice if they had the time and resources to re-do the models and all the armor too, but it doesn't feel like that would be a realistic ask at this point.

Smoother animations, however, shouldn't be as resource intensive a change (maybe I'm wrong?) and would remove the biggest complaint I have and hear about those models. (Maybe, in the process, they could fix it so all models could mount not just player races / skeletons)

FWIW I play with luclin models, but mostly due to not really playing until SoL opens. If I could do a bst in classic; I'd likely start with classic models then switch around SoL release. (I really miss classic mage pets.. the new models never really floated my boat)
  2. discordkitty Augur

I still don't understand the human female luclin model. Why is one leg all **cked up?
  3. Sirhc Apprentice

I could probably live with the new models if they fixed the animations but as they are currently they are trash. Especially since you have old and new npc models mixed it totally ruins the immersion and makes the game feel very cheap and unpolished.
  4. LDEffectsMe Augur

At this point, the "classic models" crowd will always want the classic feel, crappy graphics and all. For the most part, those of us that use the Luclin models have come to want EQ to look as good as possible.

I understand that the EQ devs in the past haven't wanted to touch character models because of how outraged the community gets with change. They've also claimed that the Luclin models are so old that they don't even have access to the software needed to modify them anymore. (Though I'm sure with time and research, they could find creative ways to update them again... People can make art mods for games a lot older than EQ.)

However, in terms of pure textures, the Drakkin model blows all of the other races out of the water. I think the "safest" bet that Daybreak could make, if they were genuinely interested in redoing the character models, is to recreate the Luclin models using the same proportions 1:1 as the current Luclin models, but making them with the texture resolutions used for the Drakkin. Don't change the art style, but completely remake and touch up the Luclin model aesthetics. Remake them all the way down to the Luclin style default armors for Cloth, Leather, Chain, and Plate.

New character models would be welcome, but they need to look like updated HD Luclin models. No one wants an alien looking EverQuest. I would think with the way Hero's Forge worked out, new models could be designed in a similar way around existing skeletons.

Also, in terms of uniformity, they could reskin the classic human model to have scales, different colored hair, and tattoos, to make a Classic Drakkin model for the people who don't want anything modern looking. :)