Fixed Internally Mobs Dropping Agro

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Sythrak20, Aug 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wulfhere Augur

This has already been true for the past many years that pursuit/leash range has been implemented. Before the last patch that we are pondering here, pursuit range has been apx >340.

It's been possible to attack from e.g. 300 range and quickly back away, thereby splitting mobs, mostly outdoors obviously. The important thing has been that the range has been greater than the longest ranged attacks, so that one couldn't attack from max range and not be engaged. If the patch has made this distance shorter or inconsistent then I agree that's an issue.
  2. Zuppind New Member

Can an @Dev look at this or mention at least if it is intentional?
    This has become a major nuisance for pulling casters and kiting some raid events. It also seems to open the door to some questionable splitting capabilities.

If intentional, please just let us know. If it was not intentional to make mobs instant mem-blur after 200 distance, please undo this.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  3. Draxiss Darkmare New Member

Greetings Dev Team.

Could this issue be looked at please. When we are given legitimate tools to pull at distances of 300 units and mobs stand there looking at you after you use Distance Strike or Blazing Bracer of Fennin Ro this is a problem.

I understand the reason for fixing an exploit. When pulling mobs at distances in the range of our pulling tools, the mobs will attempt to path to the puller. Mobs then go beyond whatever range is set for agro and then return to spawn spots. Being in range of mobs that run at speeds greater than 41 and having to baby sit them puts the puller in danger when it shouldn’t.

Thanks for your consideration.
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

I had this happen again last night, and it does seem as though geometry is having an impact. I think everytime it's happened to me, it's when I pull over/through something; I'm going to start keeping better track of it from now on. I don't recall the mobs dropping agro when it's a stright on pull, with nothing in the way. And it's most definitly not because I'm running out of range issues.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Weebles101 Journeyman

Was pulling earth B last night. Would bellow a mob on top of the pyramid and they would literally de-aggro on their way down without me even moving.

Whatever change was made went way overboard. As a bard with selo speed, if I hold down the w key for more than 2 seconds I lose aggro of the mob. It's pretty terrible.

Please revert this change. You are preventing 0.01% of the population from far taunting and at the expense of the entire rest of the player base.
  6. Xhartor Augur

This Morning I was at Icecrack camp in Frostcrypt. We were pulling Lorekeeper Thoren Goldentongue room and hallway behind fake door with Krag the Icelord. They would deaggro if you didn't baby them around every corner and sometimes when they were in the bottom of the pit and we ran quickly up the stairs. That was really strange because we could see the giant directly in front of us.

Frostcrypt normally has problem with deaggroing when they stuck on corner, but the problem here was considerable worse the previous times at the camp. Just trying to pull the 3 Ice Golems at Krag spawn point to Lorekeeper room and they end dropped aggro 4 or 5 times.

The Bard we had pulling died several times just because of the beating would take nursing mobs past corners.

If you are looking are area to test this and confirm the behavior, I would recommend this camp.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

Kinda amazed that a dev hasn't made a comment about this yet. Even if this is some sort of intended effect, it would be nice to have communication about it.
    Stymie likes this.
  8. Clawzzx New Member

100% of the times this has happened to me there is some kind of pathing problem the mob encounters. I think the suspected LoS is just a side effect of mobs being caught up on something.
  9. Filter Augur

The LOS in Howling Stones is a problem. The pathing is garbage obviously. The other issue in HS is that when you die and get rezzed, you are either summoned (named only) or they all come for you again after you are rezzed. THis happens often enough but not every time. How is this possible??
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This was brought up on test and ignored. Don't hold your breath.

Don't forget to like the first post. :)
  11. Zuppind New Member

This needs to be reverted back to how it was pre-August patch. Whatever was done to defeat the “far-taunt” exploit had way worse consequences and ripple effects.

Why not just simply make it so taunt only works if there are at least 2+ entities (PC or Merc) on the NPCs hatelist? Anytime you are using taunt it “should” be to draw aggro from another target, not a pulling skill. Has it been used as a pulling skill for years? Yes, but clearly that is not what the current team wants. Making taunt only useable with 2+ entity on hatelist at least makes the “far-taunt” exploit of pulling with taunt more tedious and difficult and doesn’t require this over the top memblur/aggro wipe mechanic that needs to be reverted.
  12. Draxiss Darkmare New Member

I wish they would fix it but now it’s my new pulling technique. If you want to pull something single just run away. You can pull red con named/raid bosses out of a group of guards by facing away, hitting Dragon Force and then running. Keep the names within 300’ and as soon the other mobs go beyond 300’ they drop agro and you have the mob you want solo.

You can actually do the same with any class by running in a circle, get the named to the run and then make a lot run to your group. I have done this in POEA for Peregrine tower, plane of fire mini bosses and Poeb.

If they won’t fix it then it’s now a game mechanic.
  13. kizant Augur

The 300' range thing doesn't seem to work in GD in ToV. I tried pulling with a bolt from 400' away and aggro seemed to be normal. Even if I run and try pushing it toward 500' it wasn't dropping right away.
  14. Zuppind New Member

This is why it needs to get fixed. We exchange one “exploit” for another that impacts more than just fixing the initial exploit. Not trash talking about you using the method to your advantage, but that should not be the case with “fixes” that are done to the game. Unexpected results happen but it shouldn’t prevent us from being able to play in a manner that make sense such as outrunning NPC spell range or using 300 range arrows while holding aggro.

If this isn’t reverted, what is the point of 200+ range spells/ranged attacks?

Also just to add some flavor, I was able to keep my casters outside 200 range while melee held aggro on a NPC in Dreadlands and the casters just kept dropping aggro. So there is zero danger of ever pulling aggro, you can simply dump your mana bar and never have any risk. Seems like a great “fix”
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Pulling in icefall today, lost kobolds just by running into the next room of the cave. :(
  16. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

The other day I was killing reinforced giant in TOV EW. Being a mage, I was using Malosinara Rk. III to pull mobs. I cast Malo on the giant, the giant did that annoying thing (sounds like thunder) which draws aggro from the my pet. I hit regroup, the pet comes back, but the giant loses aggro and wanders off in the opposite direction. When it came back it had the Malo debuff on it still, so I pulled it again and it worked properly.

I didn't think too much about it till I saw this thread. Maybe the giant didn't want to be slaughtered? :D
  17. Lubianx Augur

Happened on our Crusaders raid yesterday. I tagged the Atrium Disciple (it was at the door). It followed me to the first corner then lost agro. It only regained agro when I went back and stayed in its line of sight. Note that the domicile defender was on the other side so it wasn't due to that casting invul on me.
    minimind likes this.
  18. Draxiss Darkmare New Member

I completely understand.

This weekend while killing Xegony the mob spawns there were in tow on the bard stopped aggro and turned back to the tank. The puller was danger close while pulling and the two mobs that stopped following pathed back through the council members resulting in a wipe on the tank group. Then we ran Xegony around the island to drop aggro so the raid didn't wipe.

I am 100% glad the change happened in order to stop specific 3rd party exploits but the Devs need to have a fix that does not break the game mechanics.
  19. Razorfall Augur

I see a "Fixed Internally" tag :)
    minimind likes this.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

Yep.

However, I get a little nervous when they never comment on a bug but yet somehow manage to fix it without communicating exactly what was going on and what they did to fix it. The explanation doesn't have to be technical, just a general idea of what was happening and how it got resolved.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.