Missing Mass Group Buffs

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by OlavSkullcrusher, Jun 28, 2021.

1. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I 3-box, and I will often leave my characters afk in the area on my server where people tend to do that and use Mass Group Buff regularly. (It is in the Guild Lobby on EMarr, but I've seen it in different spots on other servers.) Sometimes, one of or more of my characters will miss the buffs that others had cast, even though I make sure to have them standing very close to each other. It happens often enough that it seems unlikely that the characters that miss out were just at the very edge of the range or something, and it isn't a matter of not having open buff slots. Is there a limit to how many characters can be affected by a mass group buff that isn't listed in the ability?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Maybe they have something the other won't stack with like SOE/Tala'Tak or BST stuff.

But without knowing what level and which buff they have already and which they are not getting it would be hard to say.

Just base line subjective info
    level 85+ can receive current max level 115 buffs.
    Sometimes level 70 ish sneak in there and get level 100 buffs
    Level 1-46 - Can receive Level 49 and lower buffs.
    Level 46-50 - Can receive level 60 and lower buffs.
    Level 51-60 - Can receive level 70 and lower buffs.
    Level 61+ - Can receive any buff within 35 levels.

BUT .......Any AA buff can be cast on anyone of any level.

And others have put forth the theory that there is a 30 level spread like group levels are set
    Conq likes this.
  3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

There is no limit that I am aware, just a range radius around the person casting the mgb.

There are quite a few self buffs that conflict with standard mgb buffs (shaman/beast focus vs caster/cleric self hp buff for example).

CatsPaws level guide is a bit off and most of the aa mgb buffs reverted to casting the actual spells so level DOES matter (Flight of Eagles aa is an example ... can no longer be cast on level 1s since it's just casting the spell now). I'm assuming since you are a 115 that your box crew is 115 so level wouldn't matter anyway.

There would need to be more information - class, what buff didn't appear, and level (just to confirm) - before anyone could really help you further.

That said, this would be better in Veterans rather than the bug thread. I can guarantee you if MGBs aren't working due to a bug, there would be many, many posts about it.
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

The no level cap still applies to non-standard AA buffs. Things like the druid Spirit of the wood and Convergence of spirits (though they're short duration song window "buffs") will land, regardless of level. Also things like Wrath of the Wild will land, regardless of level. So while AA activated spell-line buffs are level limited, the unique AA buffs are not.
  5. Raccoo Augur

There are some MGBable spells that are very short range, like Talatak. Might it be possible you're buff-locked on the other characters?
    minimind likes this.
  6. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

More details would help, but I didn't list any because it has happened many times and with several different buffs. It seems to occur mostly with the spells that cast multiple buffs at once, but I haven't kept track of all the times that this has happened to know that it is only those types. (Unity buffs from shaman, clerics, beastlords, and the ranger shout) For instance, I have a 95 box crew up right now, as I type this, that has been sitting in PoK on Bristlebane in what they call the "pile" near the Teeks. My 3 toons are very close to each other and in the middle of this pile. Two of them, their pets, and the mercs of all 3 toons have Spiritual Insight on them, but one of the characters (warrior) does not. Somehow, he missed it.

I am quite certain that it isn't buffs being on my blocked list, running up against the buff limit, stacking issues, or anything like that.

[edit 1]Oh, and about half an hour ago, the enchanter in my 3-box crew had gotten a Spirit of Tala'tak that someone had cast MGB, but none of the other characters or mercs or pets had gotten it. But they all have it now, after someone had cast it more recently.

[edit2]I agree that this would be very likely to have been discovered a long time ago with many people complaining about it if it happened regularly on raids. But I see it when I sit my guys in the Guild Lobby (on EMarr) to soak up MGBs while afk. So maybe it happens there because of the additional lag of a zone with so many afk players?
  7. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

You've written a lot of stuff here. But there's not really anything to check out per se for a developer.

But what is stopping you from finding a class that casts a buff you think isn't working and asking them to (a) cast it on you and (b) mgb it? A person at the keyboard casting the buff should get a message telling them if it landed on you or what blocked it if not.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I tried telling a player in the guild lobby recently that his Ranger strength buff was blocking my Paladin Brells he wanted. He said no, they would stack. I explained I was getting the message that it was blocked when I tried to cast it on him. He did not respond and did not drop the ranger spell.

So asking others will only work if you listen

SOE blocks Spirit of Tala'tak

How many buff slots do you have? At level 95 it should only be what.....38? Cause you can't get the other 2 until your level 100
  9. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Yes, this is the difficulty. I see that it happens, but never in real time, and I don't know what else to do to test it to give them more info to go on.

That's an idea. Next time I notice that this has happened, I'll see if someone can MGB the same buff again that I was missing and see if it still misses. But as I said, I haven't seen this happen in real time yet. It has always been when I come back from an afk break in that kind of pile and see one or more of my 3 toons missing something that the others have, when none of the possible explanations offered here fit.

As I said, I've checked for any stacking issues or buff slot limits before I assume that a character missed the buff. Generally, before I go afk like that, I'll recast whatever buffs I have in my group*. So all three toons will generally have the same group buffs on them, cast by the same characters. They might have different numbers of buffs slots open, of course, due to different self buffs, and those different self buffs can cause stacking issues, but I've specifically seen the toon missing a buff be one that has more open buffs slots than others that got it and that doesn't have any self buffs that would conflict. Besides, I've specifically seen it happen recently where the missing buff would later land on the toon when it was cast again, without anything else changing.

*I'll MGB them myself if the toons are high enough to have buffs people would want. I've never had toons in my group miss my own MGBs, and I can't really tell if anyone else is missing my MGBs for unknown reasons. I can see the messages of them being blocked by other buffs, or the message that it just didn't take hold, which is what you see when the target character doesn't have buff slots open.

I guess I'm not expecting or even looking for a dev to respond, unless one sees this and has an idea already of why it would happen. You've all been helpful in offering possible explanations, and that is maybe what I was really hoping for. That someone would recognize what was happening in something I was missing. So far, no luck on that.
    Stymie likes this.
  10. Thunderkiks Augur

Spirit of Tala Tak is only 50 range so its very small. It's very frustrating as you have to be almost on top of the person casting it. Really wish they would increase the range on it.
    Raccoo and Lubianx like this.
  11. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Just a minute ago, my 3-box team was in the pile and all 3 had SoW from potions active. Two of my toons got the Spirit of Tala'tak mgb that someone had cast, but my mage missed it. Her pet got it, though. All 3 toons were standing very close to each other. Perhaps the range ended right in front of her, or something, but that seems unlikely. The shaman had no problem casting the spell on me after I asked, directly targeting me, rather than using the AA in another mgb. (It overwrote the SoW from the potion no problem.)