Mischief/Thornblade Shared Character Name List

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pinbin, May 19, 2021.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

Who said it was relatively easy?
  2. Pinbin Journeyman

It seemed to be implied by your statement that the codebases had changed. I assumed you aren't trying to insinuate that now it is completely impossible now, but rather, because the codebases had changed, it would now be more difficult and onerous to try to implement. Anything is possible, its just whether or not it is worth the trouble.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

That wasn't my point. My point was that no one said it was easy. You don't know whether the P99 guys spent 90 minutes on it or 90 man days.

Worth the cost, you mean. Same thing, I suppose.
  4. Pinbin Journeyman

If P99 admins spent that long they need to get their heads checked. I mean, I don't know them, but I'll just go on assuming they are reasonable people, and if they did it, that means they were able to justify the time they spent on it, I'd guess probably not much.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You would have to do it on character creation and on name change as well since they have added the option to change your name. It would be a pretty big loophole to not allow a name on day 1 but later someone can pay to change it to the duplicate name. Or even just wait until day 2+ to create the character based on what you just said.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The servers are going to be setup with the same rules so this scenario won't happen.
  7. Celestian Elder

Thats why I said do it during new name validation (not just character creation). Both "should" use the same function.

I am sure the coders for EQ are aware of this sorta situation, or at least I hope so...
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Right but the post I responded to was suggesting it was only needed on new character creation and possibly only the first day as well.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

P99 guys are hobbyists. They have very different criteria for deciding if a feature is "worth it".

Edit: But I tend to agree that they certainly thought it was worth it in their case.
  10. SoandsoForumUser Augur

He meant the increased server strain is only present during the act of character creation, and it's only during launch that thousands of people are making characters at the same time.
  11. Pinbin Journeyman

Yes, that's true. That doesn't mean they are going to spend 90 days on that one feature. I can accept that it may not be worth doing here. I'm only suggesting that it be looked into because I think it's a good idea. That fact that P99 guys did it before only gave me some vague indication that it is possible. It also gave me the idea in the first place i guess.
  12. coltongrundy Augur

If you're really that worried about it, just reserve the name on both servers.
  13. Pinbin Journeyman

Great idea! You're like the 3rd person to have it. :)
  14. coltongrundy Augur

Only the 3rd? It's such an obvious solution to this non-problem, surprised it's not way more than that.
  15. Pinbin Journeyman

You have no frame of reference here, Donny! You're like a child that wanders into the middle of a movie..
  16. coltongrundy Augur

Not going to read 4 pages of whinging about a non-issue. Sorry not sorry.
  17. Machen New Member

Typically, the rules have been "If population is below x, and there aren't queues, turn off autokick."

You could have the same rules on both servers and still have one meet the criteria for turning off autokick and the other not.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Working on your post count?