Mischief/Thornblade Shared Character Name List

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pinbin, May 19, 2021.

1. Elabone Augur

I don't know what you read that made you think these are supposed to be one server split into two. It's been said repeatedly that they will only merge if the populations merit. Which means if you have 2 healthy populated servers. There is literally 0 intentions of merging them.

Also. It's been said multiple times to just create the name on both servers Nd the issue is resolved. I'm not sure why we're still talking about this.
    code-zero likes this.
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

That's not how precedent works. Man has landed on the moon, doesn't mean I'm getting there even if we have precedent. P99 devs and dbg devs are two completely separate and individual groups and what 1 does or has accomplished has 0 bearing on the other.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Nykara New Member

If you don't want to loose a name, make it on both. Lesser played you will hold the name for your main played you. Problem solved.
  4. code-zero Augur

Threads like this make me want to find a list of the precious names and attempt to make all of them on both servers as a sort of terminal griefing...

I suspect most of the people who are so hung up on the names will be gone in 6 months anyway and will be concerned that they have it available for whatever future TLP's may come along.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There will be a TON of people who only log into these servers to make a character with their precious name - to try and stop anyone there using it even though they never plan to play there, that's how fanatic they are about making their name only theirs. It is one real reason why there is so much of a queue on day 1. Sounds lame but it's true.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Lejaun Augur

Yeup. Me when someone took the name I was planning on: "Oh no! What will I do?" Types in new name (or names) until one works. "That was easy."
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Pinbin Journeyman

It's not rocket science. (I've never used that phrase so aptly before)

But if you want to use that analogy, in this scenario DB is NASA and p99 admins are you. DB has better trained staff, and more resources. It's their servers and their engine. The fact that p99 admins were able to do it within the same environment with less resources means something. It's silly to say otherwise.
  8. MMOer Augur

I agree but...

1) There wont be a merge for at least a year...

2) by then I'm done with that character and looking for the next new TLP anyway.
  9. Pinbin Journeyman

Okay, so since setting the servers up to use one list would actually decrease this behavior from happening, you should be for it, no?
    People won't have to log into both servers to reserve their names this way.
  10. Pinbin Journeyman

It's amazing to me the amount of people who think its a good idea to tell everyone to just log into both servers to reserve their names. Do we really want a bunch of people clogging up the login queues trying to log into BOTH servers day 1 to reserve names?

That's an annoying, manual solution to a problem that could be automated.
    Edit: for clarity.
  11. MMOer Augur

Its not the world we want but the world we live in.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'm not for it, but neither am I against it, I'm a realist not an idealist.

If it's possible to do that why didn't they do it when the game was launched or at any point since?

Probably several reasons, here's a few:
    Because it's impractical, it would require more resources to cater to it than the impact justifies
    Because it's only a big problem to a tiny handful of people.
    Because the vast majority of name conflicts are resolved by the current process

So you're asking for a system to be implemented to account for a small number of cases, in a game with a relatively small population, the current rules account for most cases, and for the tiny handful who full on lose their name....who will it hurt to change your name?
    Your friends, the only people who matter will adapt to your new name just fine - I know this for a fact having used multiple names over the years.

Basically the thing is a lot of this is like having two guys moving to a new town at the same time and walking into the local bar to discover that they are both wearing the same exact shirt as each other and getting awkward and stroppy about it, the barman say here I have this great shirt that doesn't look anything like the two you are wearing, it's new, and free - one of you gets to wear it and the other can keep their shirt, so first question is what date were you born?
  13. Pinbin Journeyman

They haven't done it, but it has been done before on P99. Also as to why, I believe this is the first time that the overflow server for a TLP is being launched simultaneously. Before the overflow always came later for some reason. Maybe they were never sure there would actually BE an overflow until now? In this case though, they are launching together, so it may make more sense to do this now, its just good timing.

I agree that this doesn't affect a LOT of people, although either of us could only speculate how much actual aggravation this does cause. It's not like most people are going to spend hours complaining about it, they will just move on. Bit if you could EASILY remove that aggravation it's worth doing. So I guess this would only be worth doing if it's easy. The only reason I believe it may be relatively easy is that P99 did it like it was nothing, so at least its worth looking into if it can be done the same on official.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

I don't think that means anything. The codebases are quite different 18 years later.
  15. Tweakfour17 Augur

Accipiter said it nicely.
    I'm curious, has anyone ever lost their name in their actively played main during a server merge? I'd bet this affects less than 0.1% of players want to hear a real world example of it actually happening and if so, what's was the toons name?
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

Good question. It happened to one of my son's characters 15+ years ago. Joejoe became Joejoex. That's what he gets for picking a name like Joejoe.

On one TLP my characters all had named like Slick, Buddy, Pal, Champ, etc. Also not a good idea for this server. ;)
  17. Elabone Augur

Yes. Because it's the clowns that are so worried about their name that I don't gaf about. I have already come up with multiple names for each of my characters. Idc if someone on thronblade has the same name. I'll be in game leveling while others are trying to save the name legolas.
  18. Pinbin Journeyman

Or you'll have to wait an extra hour in queue for people ahead of you to finish reserving names on your server, which they aren't even going to play on, but if that's what you want, enjoy it.
  19. Elabone Augur

I've been able to log all 6 accounts on every tlp day 1 (minus aradune OBVIOUSLY). I'm sure I'll be fine.
  20. Pinbin Journeyman

It's possible that there have been changes made in the last 15 years (p99 uses Titanium client) such that something relatively easy becomes very difficult. It's also possible that its pretty much the same. Neither of us know and it would take a dev to tell us. But the precedent is more than just how hard it will be to implement, its how well it worked. And it worked very well.