Miragul Heroic Progression Server FAQ [Discussion]

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by dreamweaver, Oct 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brutalis-trak Journeyman

hate they released this with true box, wish we could box from one computer, my wife will kill me she sees 3 computers burning for everquest, cant they make a anti cheat code that doesn't stop you from boxing on one machine?
  2. Vicus Augur

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/new-november-server.259554/

This 9 page post was 1 of many that pointed out making a clone of Phinny in it's current state would split the community and be a dumb idea. Even if this server had Truebox turned off it would of been hurting the Phinny community which is NOT a win for DBG's. The only real option was releasing heroic characters on Phinny if they wanted to maximize their Truebox server of choice.

A non-truebox server needs to be something new that won't pull players from their current servers or atleast not have a mass exodus of one specific server. But since there is a TLP at almost every phase of the game, it's not a good time to release ANY TLP right now without it affecting their other servers.

What's even worst is that they release the new server ...watched its population be the worst of any new server in their TLP history...then 2 weeks later banned a ton of players ..some deserving and some not. Whoever is in charge of PR at DBG must of been on Holiday Vacation.

Anyhow, thank god for Ragefire server.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Machen New Member

This is obvious to us, but not necessarily to DBG, and probably for good reason on their part. I suspect they looked at the retention numbers on Fippy/Vulak, and saw the attrition over time and especially all the players that left after about two years when we were in that level 70 stretch, and figured they might be able to retain most of them by just starting new TLP's for them to cycle back into. For the most part it seems to be working, as the TLP population is growing and growing overall over the past four years since they started doing this. A player starting over on a new TLP every six months is a player that is staying subscribed.
    skattabrainz and Skuz like this.
  4. Imbetterthanyou New Member

5. sauron69 Lorekeeper

Also the definition of insanity.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If you don't like it don't play on it. Some of us are enjoying it.
  7. Machen New Member

Not if they are expecting the result they are getting.
    skattabrainz likes this.
  8. Imbetterthanyou New Member

9. skattabrainz Augur

I can only speak for me.
    I've never really seen the post level 85 game, other than a duo i made on FV (BL&Necro in case you're curious) who i duoboxed to roughly 85 by grinding in my spare time when waiting for a raid to pop on ragefire.
    Starting a TLP at basically the time frame that I have never experienced was enough of a draw to me to resub. I would have also maybe resubbed for a TLP that started at level 1 but at the expansion where mercs are enabled.

I hope to have fun and learn a lot on miragul and maybe feel confident with a fully AA decked out toon to make one for serious on a live server (perhaps the hidden agenda of miragul server... convert some TLP junkies to live?)
    Again only speaking for myself
    Skuz and Yinla like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think it is great that you & others are willing to try the later era of EverQuest.

The later expansions really aren't something to avoid or be afraid of, though a significant portion do enjoy the simpler classic experience & the easier tank and spank style raids before the complexity of raid mechanics became a core gameplay feature.

The Gates of Discord onwards many never even give those expansions a chance and while a lot of reasons are given most of those reasons just don't hold up under scrutiny, the only really honest reason that I heard was that the game was too tough for them after that point & they can't handle the emote-driven mechanics of the later game, that one is fair enough though using something like Gina helps immensely with that.

I wish more players would try the later game instead of just recycling classic to Velious or PoP or stopping wherever they left off last time as the game has a lot to offer, maybe if enough did that the "group scene" would not die off just like it did on live because if all players do is repeat what they did before they cannot really expect EQ to be any better the second time or third etc. so much of the experience is about who you play it with anyway.

Still, even the recyclers help support the game so if they never go beyond classic it still helps the game keep running, I would just like to see the server populations not repeat the same cycle ad nauseum.
  11. Machen New Member

The way the TLP treadmill is designed at this point, it's really unfortunate for players who want to play the later expansions. Players who want to play the early expansions will always have a new one with lots of people to start afresh on. Players that want to play post PoP content are now spread out across a bunch of TLP's, three or four guilds here, two or three guilds there, and it will only get worse as more new servers are added. There are more players and guilds in post pop content than pre-pop, and yet none of the servers really have healthy population late into the expansions. It would be nice if DBG found a way to funnel these players back together somehow so that the same cycle doesn't keep repeating itself.
  12. Imbetterthanyou New Member

13. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I would love to see a transfer-to non-Truebox AoC server that starts in the "early" post-classic era, like TSS. Server economy would be extremely weird but that might open up interesting avenues for economic game play (if you can call it that).

Edit to change it to after PoR heh.
    Machen likes this.
  14. Machen New Member

I like this idea in general, except that I don't think they should start a new non-truebox server that so directly competes with the era the current non-truebox TLP's are in. Of course that's exactly what they did with Miragul, screwing Phinny's population for a server that likely has no long term future.
    Aneuren likes this.
  15. Zanarnar Augur

I.. I mean I don't play there anymore so no first hand info.. but Phinny is only 3 expansions past SoD. I'd think most people that stuck it out this long, wouldn't want to reset just 3 expansions back and then move forward again.

I presume it pulled a few people, but I'd bet the impact across all the TLP's was pretty evenly spread (cept Agnarr.. those folks are strange ;P )
  16. That0neguy Augur

I'm sure they went into the planning phase with that at the top of their list of things they needed to accomplish.
  17. Machen New Member

It pulled a significant portion of the population, including an entire guild that decided to relocate (when Phinny was down to 5 active raid guilds...)
  18. Machen New Member

Maybe they didn't give it any thought, but they absolutely should have.
  19. Zanarnar Augur

I sit corrected then. I'm also surprised as it doesn't seem (to me) like a big enough draw to start over on another server just to go back 3 spaces. Bummer for Phinny.
  20. Aneuren Tempered Steel

True enough.

Difficult considerations on all sides of these things. I'd doubly love a no-key TLP, I'm so tired of chasing keys after all this time. I think maybe I've just done these eras far too many times. I love the actual encounters, I dislike all of the required hoops to jump through to get to them.

And, oh the spreadsheets, ooooooh the spreadsheets.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.