Million+ Burn

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Ditka, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Ditka Journeyman

I'm failing miserably at burning on a Mage. The quick 30-60 sec named fights that people blow up.

Is this even possible with a Mage? Best I've managed is around the 700k mark with no support. Just getting a little frustrating.
  2. Szilent Augur

like 3(?) classes can legitimately have ambition to go > 1M "with no support" on one minute duration, and within those classes only the most developed characters actually do so.

You haven't linked a character profile or described your strategy, but if you're not trying with maxed pet AA, maxed nuke AA, a 2h equipped, at least the 8 casting proc augs, probably 4 melee proc augs as well, and using Restless Magic potion plus a Glyph of Destruction, then you're not trying as hard as you think you are. That said, this bit is problematic:

EQ not a solo game. Solo, magician has 97% crit rate on burns (15 of that is glyph), and +110% crit size (60 of that is glyph). With teammates, you're bumped up to 100% crits, with an additional up to +110+170+15+30 crit size plus Enc procs for the biiig booms

all these add huge power to magician burns:
    • druid (aura & wolf buffs, & wrath debuff)
    • enchanter (chain synergies from their good nuke, Dissident Reinforcement, Illusions of Grandeur, double auras - for burns of 2minute duration, is the enc changing out Twin aura for Fortifying?, Chromatic Haze, if 1min instead of 30s burn Forceful Rejuvenation for another Dissident. Really it's a heck of a list, the quality of the enchanter matters ton to the quality of your burn.)
    • bard (Fierce Eye, aura & aria, and you maybe get Arcane proc if they like you. Quick Time is huge, allowing several more nukes per minute)
    • shaman (dissident melee proc. aura shockingly powerful for Servant damage)
    • a partner magician, for their synergy proc besides your own (alternate Servant casts), their Host alongside yours to get more quickly to max tier Many nukes, and to run Covenant with.
    lesser adds, can still really inflate the sub-minute numbers:
    ranger spire adds nuke critical damage
    wizard synergy
    necro synergy

if you're getting super squirrely, putting on barb/troll/ogre illusion to get the Slam racial attack opens up:
    ranger synergy procs
    rogue synergy procs
    Duder likes this.
  3. Gumby Augur

Eh.. you make 1 mil sound like it's hard on a very quick burn. I can log in a Monk, Pally, Rogue and zerker right now with zero support and break that threshhold mark. Only qualifier is that is with raid gear.

Seen plenty of Shamans, Druids, Beasts, warriors and Necro's (post patch) do it as well. No real experience seeing wizards.

So maybe Mages just can't cut it, if it's an issue with them. /shrug
  4. Yendar Augur

Mages need a dps upgrade for sure, as do wizzies.
  5. Thanasis New Member

As a mage I also experience that our short burn is currently underwhelming. Partly due to the build up time of multiple pets on targets and the fact that we dont have extreme short term dps buttons (bumping up twincast to triple/quad cast could help ;) ). 700 is pretty decent without support i would say. Though also interested in other mages experience
  6. Petalonyx Augur

Mages do a lot of things well. A short term burn isnt one of them.

The biggest thing you can do is ramp your burn on a piece of trash immediately prior (accumulating pets) although that isnt always an option.

Some small stuff not mentioned:

Prebuff theft of essence by casting of many on self or others
    Pet reloc AA to push to mob rear (between casts when it doesnt eat up some dps)
    Pet weapons that dps proc
    Prebuff with Damage Shields on pet, including druid 100k AA one.
    Know when to use Firebound Orb (and when NOT to use it to avoid eating synergy procs)
    Know when to use force rejuv
    AA AOE malo is instant cast vs single target version with cast time.
    Various clickies (aura of battle, dd procs etc)
    Some Veteran AA? Intensity of the Resolute?

Melee is good as previously mentioned, and also reduces time pets are in transit to thr target.

Mage is very much a preparation class IMO. If caught off guard, performance can be pretty bad.
  7. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Mages should just keep everyone else supplied with high end mod rods and sip their coffee

/sarcasm

As a necro who had to mana pump clerics back in the day on raids I feel justified in this petty joke...kinda sorry but not really