Merge the majority of servers.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Wgrace45, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Gundolin Augur

Happily and with a full group (again) last night.
  2. snailish Augur

If a server is below a certain population threshold, then allow free moves off of it. Then give it some time. If it truly dies off beyond whatever Daybreak thinks people playing there... merge it into a mid-pop server. Half of this already happens... it's just unclear how quiet some servers have to get (cough Vulak...)

Several live servers don't need a merge dumped on them. Several of the ones crashing the most are because of busy prime-times. Or at least it sure looks that way.

Creating a new, regular rules live server with Phinny capacity, instancing, picks and possibly FV type xp could be the way to have the super-server without destroying all the oldest servers (keeping in mind the top of this post). I would actually do 2 of these (one full boxable, one true box). I would allow paid transfers in a "beta" period before character creation is enable on the server for two weeks. Then full launch and the server is free to transfer to and creation is enabled. This monetizes saving old names and/or getting that head start.

Boxers are never really the problem anyways, it's players choosing to be inconsiderate. Sure it stands out more when the inconsiderate person is an army (or half your group that has gone stealth afk), but it is still the player's choice to be that way that is the issue.
  3. Goranothos Augur

Just sell EQ like any other non MMO game and allow us to install it on our own computers and play it as a single player (or "box") game. Also allow us to setup our own servers and invite our friends/guilds to play. Could still make money by selling us expansions without the headaches of maintaining "official" servers.
  4. Goranothos Augur

5. Tereil Elder

Yeah. I agree, don't merge drinal. Most of us drinalians(?) do quite like the population the way it is. The only people I've seen with a problem with it are new people and other servers' recruiters. I think you know the ones I am talking about if you play there.
  6. oldandnasty Augur

Leave Trakanon alone. Our lack of population allowed the server to stay stable during the latest batch of server problems.
  7. Wgrace45 New Member

Even if it took them months to get everything working smoothly it'd still be worth it in the long run
    disgruntled and Nandary Griefs like this.
  8. Wgrace45 New Member

I just did lol
  9. Wgrace45 New Member

That happened already -- the result is Columbus Nova (owner of daybreak)
  10. Sindaiann Augur

11. Nandary Griefs Lorekeeper

The high proportion of people saying "no" means every one else has left.
    Gyurika Godofwar and disgruntled like this.
  12. Coagagin Guild house cat

Hmmm... New account or one that rarely posts over the course nearly 18 years now and is brightest idea to finally group is to force everyone on to one mega-sever. Sounds dangerously hypocritical and unnecessary. Please go back to the solo version of Trivial Pursuit.

- Coa
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  13. Wgrace45 New Member

Yes, merge them all into a "mega-sever". If by "mega-server" you mean a server that after combining everyone still has 50% the population of a single server at launch (which did just fine, as this games long lifespan can attest). Sensationalist child.
    BrandeX likes this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Doesn't have to be a single mega server and it is not like we haven't had server mergers before.
    BrandeX and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  15. Bigstomp Augur

I'm sorry you do not have any friends online. But there are plenty of people online. We fill groups and raids without having to merge servers.
  16. Wgrace45 New Member

Yes, I'm sure the remaining 200 dedicated players on your server have found each other at max level. Grats.
  17. Silver-Crow Augur

Fully agree here, create a new Phinigel style "true box", instanced 'live' server, and allow free moves. I suspect those that want to move, will move creating a vibrant live server (much as phinigel is now), leaving the 6 boxers that want to play a single player game anyway, where they are. The old servers will pretty much close themselves without forcing anyone to move.
    BrandeX and Wgrace45 like this.
  18. Wgrace45 New Member

Not new. I've played EQ on and off since original launch of Kunark. How often you post on the forums doesn't determine how good your ideas can be or your credibility.
    BrandeX likes this.
  19. Aghinem Augur

On and off since Kunark? Sorry, you're just asking to get steam rolled on the forums here. Whenever you dictate that other players "don't know what is good for them" - you're setting yourself up for failure of epic proportions.
  20. Wgrace45 New Member

Lots of people disagree, and a lot of people agree with me too, and a lot of people half-agree with me and offer more intricate and detailed solutions that are similar to my sentiment. So far all I've seen are 3 kinds of posts:

1: "No! Don't merge servers because I hate change!" posts.
    2: "Yes, do this." posts.
    3: "This is kind of a good idea but it needs to be implemented in <this> way instead." posts.

Not even close to being steamrolled. I've seen some good ideas. If you'd prefer to cling to one of them instead (I wouldn't blame you, they put more thought into the details) then by all means please do. As long as its an idea that moves the game in a positive direction instead of supporting the current system which promotes stagnation and atrophy. Of course it is inevitable that an old game will atrophy, but we can have spikes of growth occasionally and slow the devolution through action like this instead of just leaving things alone because you are worried about a rough transition.
    BrandeX likes this.