Mercs are too weak

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Axxius, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Axxius Augur

Yeah, healer mercs can at least perform their function if you don't let them get hit. Although they have too little hp to survive many of the spells that you can encounter in TBL group content.

But the tank merc is completely useless. I'm going back to tanking with my Enchanter and just using an extra healer merc instead of the tank one.

/sad panda
    Whulfgar likes this.
  2. Niknik Journeyman

Yes.

Exactly! Oh wait.... you mean LFG for 2 straight hours and log off. Then do that a couple of days in a row. Then let subscription run out.

Yeah. I forgot about that aspect and why mercs were introduced in the first place.
    So Happy, Coronay, Whulfgar and 10 others like this.
  3. Axxius Augur

HOW DID YOU KNOW? :eek:

/facepalm
    Pirlo likes this.
  4. Zamiam Augur

what you and a lot of other merc nay say'rs don't seem to grasp is that in 99 when game first came out there were over 3 to 400k subs ? possibly more .. Now there is prolly less than 50k (numbers are just guess's , but DB has not come out with any actual numbers which should tell you population is extremely low) add on top of that those 40 to 50k peeps spread across 15 live servers and 7 TLP or roleplaying servers..

If we(and that's a BIG IF )have 50k actual subscribers and I'm being really generous that puts roughly 3.3k subscribers on each live server . I'm leaving TLP servers out but if i added them into the equation it would be 2.3k on each server . Now factor in that those 3k players ( rounding down) again im being very generous say 25% of those are boxers (thats 750 boxers) .

Now take into account that all those players play at different hours of every day and different days of every week some only play few days a week .. you get where i'm going with this ?

and the longer EQ continues (which I hope it does) the smaller the player base will become .. and with no new EQ blood (or very few compared to ones leaving) coming into the game and more players leaving the game it is and has been for awhile very difficult to find groups unless your in a really good guild or have an established group of friends to play with ..

Also some people just prefer to solo/molo now because well its just easier than to have to put up with some people's social behavior cause lets face it there are a bunch of stupid idiotic people out there.. (not referring to anyone inparticular ) .

Now I've used a bunch of numbers that are guessing or assumptions and I'm sure I overly exaggerated the subscription numbers , personally I wouldn't be surprised if EQ only had about 20k subs .. you do the math on that one..

Dev's and the Get Gud people need to realize this or EQ will not be around another half decade.. cause I guarantee there are more people leaving this game than there are people coming into this game ..

also I'm sure my grammar and spelling errors are atrocious ...but I'm tired ..
    Genoane, Mordeen, shruggz and 2 others like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Heal merc and Tank mercs need serious attention and have done for the last few expansions, the tank merc has been behind for years.All through RoS beta everyone was saying the mercs needed tuning, it never happened. Many said after RoS launched that mercs were fine, they were not and now after another expansion we are in this state where they cannot survive at all.

Since TBL went live I have seen a lack of both tanks and healers and an aweful lot of DPS LFG. As soon as a tank/healer log in they are snapped up. The AE from spells are killing mercs far too easily and they need some major upgrades. This is leaving far too many players unable to do content. Leave players unable to progress for too long and they quit, something none of us want to see happen.
  6. Hotel New Member

If they are like me they can not commit to a group, and many are. They have to afk at a moments notice, and groups do not allow that.

So I guess you want all these people to quit playing EQ, because they do not have the time to group like you?

No one is asking for Mercs to be equivalent to Tanks. We just want them usable. Either have them, or don't.

They need to address this, I have people in my guild not logging in due to it. If something is causing people not to play, cancel subscription, and go elsewhere, then they need to address the issue.

As we get older, we are supposed to get wiser, not continue to make the same mistakes. This rule applies to Game staff as well.
    Stiku, Mordeen and Tatanka like this.
  7. Hotel New Member

Zamiam is correct!

Over the years EQ subs have declined way more than they should have. IMO that is due to bad decisions by the Game Staff. Look at how old WoW is now, and how many still play it for example. I don't want EQ to be like WoW! What I am saying is make better decisions on what players want and what is good for the game.

I think too many decisions are made based on what a few on the staff like to play, there friends in game like to play, ignoring the needs and wants of others, resulting in declining subs.

There was plenty of good done in this expansion. I like the expansion and the Tradeskill items particularity, but if I can not get geared to go there, that really does not matter, does it. We don't want less challenging content, just useable Mercs. If I think about logging in, but know I can not commit to a group, I should not log in?

Much of the Player Base is older now, have families, and can not poop-sock content. It is simply not an option. Raiders will still raid if Mercs are stronger. Tank and Healer population will not change if Mercs are stronger. But..Subs will increase as players will not leave.

DBG spent a few bucks advertising and saw a bump in subs recently, but a lot of those players did not stay. IMO this is one of the main reasons why.

I love EQ, but am finding it harder to stay. I have a /played of 20 plus years. I have 5 accounts. I love to login and escape real life, explore zones, do quest, tackle content that is challenging, in short periods, then afk. Sadly I may have to say goodbye, and I am not alone.
    Shanarias, Mordeen and Niknik like this.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Mercs were too weak in RoS. My box crew up until EoK consisted of Cleric, Shaman, Rogue, Bard, Merc Tank. I was able to do every named in the game up til that point. I added a real tank mid EoK, and was quite happy I did. RoS vaporized merc tanks with named, even with extra healing. They had zero chance. Without significant upgrades... TBL will be far worse.
    So Happy likes this.
  9. Astral64 Augur

Whulfgar likes this.
  10. Khaliss Augur

as a player who rarely uses a merc, and just signed up for lifetime membership (& encouraging others too), I totally agree with this post. DBG needs to update the mercs with the current expac, in terms of stats & usefulness
    Alekzandre and Niknik like this.
  11. Evilness Gnome warriors are the best warriors

Completely agree. Mercs need a boost, but within reason of course. Their current state is NOT reasonable for TBL content. Question is on how to do it. Do they boost merc base stats, give the merc AA's a HUGE boost, or give merc gear absolutely ridiculous stats?
  12. Astral64 Augur

I'm one of those elite scum bag raiders and I too agree that mercs need some work.
    Whulfgar, Niknik, Tolzol and 2 others like this.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Plenty of people:
    - play short sessions. Time spent looking for a group isn't a good use of time
    - play odd hours, when there aren't many people on
    - have to AFK frequently, and don't want to be rude to groupmates
    - have plenty of old content they're interested in completing, and don't find people to group with in those areas and levels

Guess what? These people pay for subs and expacs, just like you. Do you want EQ to continue? Then don't look down your nose at changes that would help them, and wouldn't hurt you at all.
  14. shruggz Elder

I would like very much to keep giving dbg my money for yearly expansions and
    3 all access accounts but the direction the game is taking is going to force me out.

not much point to buying an expansion that has no content for me, and not much point
    in paying for a game that's become unplayable in the way im accustomed to playing.

I think improving mercs a bit would be a step in the right direction.

I also think that the first tier needs to be a little more casual. not crazy dps checks and
    anti boxer mechanics. put that stuff in the second tier and 3rd if their is one.

its not like the people who want rip your face off difficulty levels aren't going to blast through the
    first tier anyway, no matter how hard they tune it.

I really cant understand why dbg would want keep folks out of the new content. its counter intuitive
    I would think they would want everyone in there excited about it. but what do I know.

meh, just my thoughts on the matter for what that's worth.
  15. zkooter New Member

This almost exactly reminds me of what happened when gates of discord came out,
    I was in a time raiding guild at the time wich was a huge deal, legacy of ykesha and lost dungeons of norrath were spit out almost over night to satisfy the people who couldn't play enough to join a time raiding guild or even find time for the progression to get into time. but when Gate of Discord came out. it was toatly destroying full geard time groups. they realised they made a huge mistake and had to make omens of war. guess what. we all got another 5 lvls to compensate, but the gear didnt get much better from god to oow. but at leaste the difficulty was on par. so just wait another month. after all this complaining you will see another xpansion coming down the pipe with another lvl raise...
  16. Shadows Journeyman

This was my first thought as well.
  17. Parkers Journeyman

I want to think that, but I don't think that.
  18. Spellfire Augur

Mercs underperformance was brought up in beta. Devs felt mercs are ok iirc.
    Niknik likes this.
  19. Zamiam Augur

I'm thinking the Dev's are trying to make mercs obsolete in an attempt to make the game a more group friendly environment. However , in doing so will eventually kill the game .. why they do not see that is beyond me .. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out..

or they figure by making merc's obsolete will force people to box in which they think will bring in more subs ?

both reasons would be a fatal error on their part..

they got their increase in money before the end of the year so they dont care now.. but they will come next year or the year after that...
    So Happy, Shanarias and Lakeland like this.
  20. Niknik Journeyman

Wait...didn't you just say, yesterday in fact, that people should you know - group with real players and all would be good?
    So Happy likes this.