Merc Tank Aggro

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Sindael, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Sindael New Member

Hi,
    I recently returned from a longer break and started playing my Ranger again. I got him to 105 and he is now in a mix of HH Sebilis gear, some EoK Tier 1 stuff and a couple older things from the CoTF expansion.

I am usually running a 3 box group, consisting of Ranger, 105 Bard, 105 Shaman, with a J5 Merc Tank, J5 Healer and, J5 Melee (or some other toon to leech xp).

While farming and xping in Sebilis I ran into severe aggro problems with my Tank Merc. I tend to melee with the ranger, since it seems to be higher dps outside of Pureshot Disc, according to Gamparse. The problem though is, that I consistently pull aggro from the mob, even after a couple of autohits, without using any spells at all.

Now I do have Roar of the Lion running, as well as a standard bard melody, with one exception: I switched to Fjilnauk's Spiteful Lyrik instead of Song of Suffering and blocked it on the Ranger, hoping this might help with the aggro, which it didnt really do.

Also I tried to toggle the Ferocious Kick subtlety AA on and off, to no avail, and even turned of autoskill kick completely so Ferocious wouldnt trigger and it still didnt help.

Besides switching to pure Archery, which I would like to avoid if possible, is there something I am missing?

(I am using Dicho and Jolting kicks on cooldown, even switched to the jolting blades proc, with little better results)

here is my magelo: https://eq.magelo.com/profile/1862247 , my AAs are all over the place due to autogrant etc.

Thanks for your help!

Kilweyen

AB
  2. svann Augur

Do you have your tank merc role set as main tank? That helps alot, otherwise they think they are dps.
  3. Sindael New Member

Yeah, she is set to MT and assist. I even had her running on aggressive for a while, even though this shouldnt change anything, since she is basically on aggressive mode anyhow, while she is MT.
  4. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

I run a ranger/shaman combo for alot of my EoK T1 farming. Over 17k aa's in the Rng and 15k on the Shm. Also just run a merc tank/healer off them. I run 95% archery over melee since I have the room and my dps is pretty dang good. I have downloaded the parser but I havent turned log in or used it. Only very rarely do I pull agro and that is usually with the shaman and his dots. Didnt look at your magelo, but if weapons proc any sort of stun/rune that adds hate, hate is bad if you dont want to tank. Now that HH seb is over today, right?, I think focusing in archery aa's and outdoor zones (space), coupled with blue headshootable mobs you wont have agro issues.

Also put the merc aa's into the agro/hate also, cant make it worse right?
  5. Khauruk Augur

Do you use the sham for main healing, or just for slows/dots/support? I'm thinking about bringing my ranger back out w/ a chanter and either using the ranger as tank, or the merc. How much > is merc vs. group geared good ranger? Can one cleric merc typically handle all of the healing vs. nameds?
  6. shruggz Elder

just my opinion others may vary,
    I run shaman , mage, bard or shaman mage sk (sk not yet equipped to tank)
    @ Khauruk, without the back up healing from the shaman, the maxed aa'd and merc geared tank merc
    will get eaten with only the healing support of a max aa'd and merc geared healer merc on most named fights in eok,
    you might get by on some of the easier ones but 85 percent at least of the named ive killed in eok will require some additional healing on named.
    if you have the dps to burn em down very quickly your mileage might vary.

though your ranger may tank better than a tank merc, I have no knowledge on how well or not that might go. good luck and good hunting
  7. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Shaman is there for slow, dots and support as you said. I pull with ranger and on named I spam heal off the shaman but use the merc tank and heal merc. I havent had any issues with agro unless I over dot on the shaman and forget to use silent casting! Ive dont basically all the T1 mobs in EoK with this set up or with some friends. The key to any namd victory has always been the engage, usually I screw it up or the merc dosent get agro fast enough and I gotta rez up and try again. More importantly, dont be afraid to try. So far the worst fight has been the Giant in FM that hets ya wasted! Keep dieing at 0-1% argh!!!!
  8. svann Augur

Double check that your tank is J5. When buying a new merc if you are in a hurry thats an easy mistake to make. Something is going on that is odd. What you are saying isnt normal.
  9. Regazozo Journeyman

Is your merc fully AA'd to tank? Without the New AA's the mercs cannot function at 105 correctly, imagine your toon at 105 with just the Heroic Granted AA's it's the same idea.