Merc Ornaments

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sebbina, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Sebbina Augur

So here I am still half asleep, and it occurred to me that my Merc would look so much better with a hat like mine and maybe a sweet new weapon and shield appearance. So when are we going to be able to add ornaments to the merc armor we put on them? Also I expect that more merc slots will probably open up with new expansions, so now is the time to demand rights for our mercs.
    SaderakhBertox likes this.
  2. SaderakhBertox Augur

I would totally be happy with just changing their overall armor color. It wouldn't even have to be piece by piece. Just one color setting for the whole thing. On the monk, I use gnomes so I don't have to shrink them. For flavor on other alts, I use the Guktan model, and might sit there and spend a couple thousand plat til I get the color I'm looking for lol.

So, if we have to take baby steps, lets try a single color selection for the whole armor, and work up to Sebbina's suggestion if we can't get there all in one shot. Please don't save either for an "Expansion feature".

Thanks.
  3. Uxtalzon Augur

Problem is, not all mercenaries would be able to change their appearances. Non-playable races have no armor to change, but most have weapon/shield that could. However there are even some that don't display a weapon and shield.

Better keep running Sebbina, or this guy will get your lucky charms, you cute Halfling leprechaun!
  4. guado Augur

Good idea, I just wouldn't want that as a main selling point to ANY expansion, since merc gear is underwhelming.
  5. SaderakhBertox Augur

I don't see that as a problem, just an exception really. For the most part, the mercenaries you speak of are not available to everyone who just strolls into PoK, etc.
  6. Koryu Professional Roadkill

I would think Sony could put Ornamentation slot type 20s on the merc weapons and shields, and type 21s on merc chest pieces. If the merc is a player race, and you have hero's forge unlocked for that character, then it extends to the merc, and putting an ornamentation piece into their chest outfits them in a complete suit of that style. If your merc isn't a player race, then chest ornamentations don't work, but weapon/shield ornamentations would work as usual. I could see this idea not working though, since the equipment is actually in your inventory and not located on the merc.
    This could have a couple of impacts. Possibly more hero's forge unlocks and more ornamentation sales, so that is money for Sony. Plat prices on drop-only chest ornamentations would probably go up per server. The people running around with the CotF beta reward mercs would feel less special.
  7. Chandrok Augur

Dressing up player race mercenaries is an idea that we have tossed around. Given that code changes would be necessary to enable such a feature, it must be prioritized with many other things we would like to do. Unfortunately dressing up mercenaries is not very high on the list of code changes we would like to make at this time, but hopefully it will happen in the future.
    Zentara and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  8. Fendy Augur

Definitely fix existing bugs and problems first.
    Zentara likes this.
  9. Khoza Augur

Don't waste your plat. Shroud to level 5, and cycle mercs as normal. They'll retain their name and appearance when you level, and you will have to pay for the level change when you unshroud, IIRC, but you won't be charged as much for hiring the merc each time.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Some mercs change their skin when you cast "Cursed Mummy Wrappings" on them and remove the illusion - Fear Crazed Chetari becomes regular chetari and a clothed Nihil becomes an unclothed Nihil. Not sure if repeatable with Enchanter illusion projection.
  11. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Enchanters can't use their regular illusions on mercs :(