Memorizing spells by name?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by FurianXO, Jan 19, 2021.

1. FurianXO New Member

I'm aware of the spellset functionality, but curious if I can mem a spell by name. I often get a new spell, then i have to go search for it in the menu. For example, if I get the spell malaise, is there a way to do /memorize malaise 1 (for gem slot 1?)
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

You can un-mem all spells except leave Malaise in slot 1. Then save that spell set, call it something like Malaise1. Then make a social macro for /memspellset Malaise1. Now when you use this macro, it will leave all your other current spell gems alone and only swap Malaise into spell slot 1.
    Vumad likes this.
  3. Vumad Cape Wearer

What a great work around. I think I might have to use this. I had never saved a spell set blank so I never knew I could do this. I could definitely set a hotbar up for quickly switching out my rebuff slot or etc. So much more efficient than right clicking to load a buff.

Thanks for the tip!
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is how all spell sets function. You don't have to un-mem spells to do it.

Spell sets only change out the spells that are different.
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

If you want to quickly swap just one spell reliably regardless of what other spells you have memmed at the time, then yes you do need to un-mem the others when saving the spell set.
    Tatanka likes this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Weird. None of my characters' spell sets work as you describe.

For instance, my Cleric:

If I add a spell set where only one spell slot is different (Buff symbol vs healing), all I have to do is mem symbol in the slot I want it in, then set the spellset:

Right-click spellbook > Save spell set > Add New Set > Name it: Buffsymbol

Now, when I go back to my Healing spellset, only that spellgem changes.

When I go back to Buffsymbol spellset, only that spellgem changes.

I don't need to un-mem every spell while setting up this spellset to make this happen.
  7. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

The key here is regardless of what other spells you have memmed.

If there is only one spell different between your Healing set and your Buffsymbol set, then it will function exactly the same as if you saved Buffsymbol with only the single spell memmed. The issue (for me anyway) is that I often don't have the same spells up in the other slots. I might have some nukes up or group heals or cures or whatever the situation calls for.

So if I'm fighting stuff and I want to swap in symbol to buff someone, hitting Buffsymbol could potentially try to swap several spells at once if I had saved symbol along with with a full set of other spells. Saving just the single spell with the rest of the slots blank guarantees that hitting Buffsymbol will only swap that single spell, and never swap out other stuff that I wanted to keep up. That's why I like having spell sets saved with only a single buff assigned to them. Guaranteed quick swap regardless of what I have memmed.
    Zipe likes this.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I understand now. Thanks for clarifying!

That is handy. ;)
  9. Zipe The Healer

That's probably the best tip a cleric can give to another cleric. I tried to explain this a thousand times to other clerics and how important it is in order to add dynamism to your playstime but I usually fail to communicate and empathize it properly!
    Good explaination, /tumbsup

Next step would be making a hot bar full of /memspellset socials and even binding them to Keys on your keyboard to quickly shuffle your spells:
    [IMG]
    Xyroff-cazic. likes this.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I think the EQ spellbook should be able to be 1 click sorted by name or by spell level to match pages as they have consistently added a not so coincidentally equal number of pages to levels. It annoys the "Something" out of me to be "able" to right click mem them, but then have no "Forgotten" clue where it is in the book.

WTB Tracksort alpha / ralpha for spellbook.
  11. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Also, once I mem a new spell, I HAVE to camp or zone to use it from gem bar. It doesn't autoupdate.

(Neither do titles bought from marketplace - clicked item in bag and.. nothing. No new title. Had to camp to character select to force the update.)
  12. apewty New Member

Good point. I have consistently placed my spells in the book in a rough organization across all servers and characters. For instance, my main attacks and heals go on the first 2 pages. Pets about 6 pages in. Buffs 11 pages. Miscellaneous (bind, gate, cancel magic) 21 pages. Ports 31 or 41 pages depending on the character. Whoever I play wherever I play, they are all roughly in the same place.

I haven't had that happen, ever. Did you try just zoning? I find that zoning makes my mercs update, when I used to suspend them occasionally for the same purpose.

But I did want to say this is a great suggestion to make the single update macro. Never done that before!