Melody not working?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Ladro Ninehands, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Ladro Ninehands New Member

Lately I have been having a problem with my bard's melody macro not completing.
    I used to have macros set like:
    /stopsong
    /melody 1 2 3 4

This was working fine and I could set melodies for different groups and mix with other commands like announcing mez to group etc.. no problems.

Suddenly I noticed that I had to start pounding the same macro multiple times to get it to work. This got progressively worse and very frustrating so I started experimenting with adding pauses to see if it was a lag problem or ? This didn't seem to help.
    I then went back and remade all my macros to use the bandolier to switch to different weapon or instrument sets before starting the melody for example:
    /stopsong
    /bandolier activate Lute
    /melody 1 2 3 4

The first couple times it worked like a charm and then I noticed this was also failing. Sometimes the macro would not initiate at all, meaning that the melody that I was playing would continue without any sign that the macro was recognized. Then sometimes it would stop playing the current song but not initiate the bandolier swap or start playing the melody and sometimes it will stop the song, switch to the bandolier set but then not start the melody. Sometimes it actually works and I weep with joy as my life has become so frustrating with this not working correctly.

I have to admit that I am somewhat new to the bard class and have been assuming that this is all me. I have researched much to try and figure out what I am doing wrong and this is why I have been enduring this for weeks now.
    Please someone tell me there is a simple solution to this problem.

Thank you
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What messages are you seeing in the logs? Are you missing a note that causes it to stop? Is it stopping because you need an instrument or something with an instrument mod equipped? Or is it stopping because a song needs a valid target and you don't have one targeted?
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

If this is related to the fix last month for attempting to trigger multiple AAs with cast times giving a timer for the ones that dont cast? Fix isnt even 3 weeks old.

Add a pause for client lag. Adjust higher if necessary.
    /pause 2, /stopsong
    /pause 2, /bandolier activate Lute
    /melody 1 2 3 4
  4. Metanis Bad Company

Something that works for me is to use /melody without any arguments as a substitute for /stopsong

/pause 2, /melody
    /pause 2, /band activate Lute
    /melody 1 2 3 4
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

Exactly what songs are you trying to play?
  6. Ladro Ninehands New Member

Wow! Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
    So, I haven't received any messages regarding why the macro failed. Since I added the bit to switch to specific instruments sets for pulling, combat, healing, etc..I sometimes get the notice that the bandolier set has swapped but sometimes that doesn't even occur. If there was a message this would be much easier to determine the cause. I have gone back in my log file to a time when I was grouped with my wife and it was happening often and I didn't see any notifications of a problem other than when I was stunned during combat. The times I am referring to are when I am switching between my battle set and my pulling set and there are no mobs around to stun me.
    Last night when I was playing in Velks I don't think the problem occured at all.but there were only 6 people in the zone so maybe it's related to lag.
    The songs that I am playing for pulling are just selo's, the cantata of soothing and whatever haste song I have at the time, Villa's verses of celerity I think.
    My recent set for battle and dual wielding are selo's, damage shield song (psalm of purity I think it was, but I was also using the cooling song), the group haste Villa's verses I think was the one I was using when it happened a bit and the cantata of soothing again.
    I switch out songs alot so it's hard to remember which particular ones were active when the problem occured. Next time it is happening I will write everything down so I have clear information to report.
    I am not sure if it has ever happened when I was trying to mez or charm something. I will have to test those many times to see if that is an issue.
    I think what makes it hard for me to understand the problem is that quite often everything works fine. Then for maybe an hour I am really getting frustrated because I am having problems repeatedly.

Going forward I will try putting a pause on each line like suggested above and using the melody command to stop singing and see if those will help.

I have loved playing this bard when it is working but I do have some strange problems. I won't even go into levitate causing me to get rooted when I zone because I just don't bother using Aria anymore LOL.

Thanks again for the help
  7. Wulfhere Augur

This could be a client time desync issue. Make sure your Windows PC is syncing with internet (NTP) time. There are other forums posts that explains how to do this.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

It doesnt look like any of the songs you show should be an issue.

I have noticed that if I have one melody playing then I try to change melodies, if i hit the new macro just at the end of a song it can stutter and stop and not start the new melody. So then I have to hit it again.