melee needs more scaling?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by frands481, Mar 21, 2013.

1. frands481 Elder

do you guys feel that pure melee hasn't scaled well with content? or is it balanced? soe seems more focused on spells discs and special ability aas instead of the necessary refocus on some melee basics. or at least that's what i think. I'm wondering about it. Some tanks in particular have complained about mage pets and some hybrids that were mostly melee have become mostly casters with special ability aas like the paladin. i just feel like pure melee may be slipping behind other class aspects although the various poisons help. i never really played a pure melee but am wondering about this nonetheless. i wonder if current melee is really balanced or not in current game. if i'm wrong about your capability i apologize.
  2. frands481 Elder

i was particualrly thinking that if melee even needed a slight boost it could be done with a new innate number skill based ability or maybe even a few of them similiar to dodge, riposte, parry, and the like. that way soe could give a precise skill number just like the old skills and tune it for balance easily instead of granting a hotkey that gives more power at the dubious added effort for melees.
  3. sojuu Augur

You are right pure melee are falling behind. The balance has shifted from meleequest to evercast.
  4. silku Augur

I'd like to see it be everquest, neither melee nor caster falling behind.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Kelefane like this.
  5. Robnie Augur

If you think it's tedious to spam hotkeys...Try stacking 16+ dots
    silku likes this.
  6. Noobieguy Augur

Monks have fallen behind, though I hear that you are at least getting some positive changes that could help your DPS (I hope). Rogues and zerkers, at least pre Beta 2.0 are/were not behind.
    silku likes this.
  7. sojuu Augur

Rogues and zerkers from my understanding, they are behind casters. So they need boosts aswell, its just monks need more than them to stay caught up.
  8. Stewy Journeyman

Wow I've replied to this 4 times now and just can't get the words out. They fail me.
  9. Robnie Augur

Good words, bad words?
  10. Brogett Augur

Melee have become too focused on short burns and suffer on sustained events. Now even the top burst nuker - wizards - out-sustain the melee. It just seems wrong. Conversely casters continually use high burst from rog and zerker to justify more upgrades, but every upgrade they get is duration limited only by mana which now seems to almost never run out. Melee need major boosts in the sustained dps department, oreferably without making burst broken again.

How to improve on this? If we improve melee sustained it ideally needs to be done without boosting the burst (we're not really meant to be top burst, but ber were for a long time which caused the meleequest tag). That means either dull +flat damage (min hit, +dam, whatever) or maybe taking the aggregate approach and defining long-term sustained to be the summation of disc + non-disc + disc + non-disc + etc.

By shortening disc reuse we're boosting sustained, provided the duration becomes small enough to be used viably within a single event. I don't mean all discs, just some. Reduce enough and you're boosting sustained without having any impact at all on peak burst.

The other alternative, but less palatable, is nerfage of disc multiliers and/or ADPS multipliers coupled to a general damage table increase. It's unlikely to happen though.
  11. Hatsee Augur

12. Gragas Augur

The could fix this problem for you if they made your dots of the same line share timers like every other class that uses dots or DD's in EQ, but then the raid boss would not die as fast.
  13. Gladare Augur

I find it funny that necros think they're doing something special because they cast 16 different spells. Yup, no other class has to constantly work to do top tier dps. We're just sitting there with auto attack and occasionally, every 5 seconds or so, tap a key.
  14. Robnie Augur

Then everyone couldn't cry about us :(

And FYI, we, like other classes have lines that don't stack and lines that do.
  15. Slasher Augur

drool unlink all volleys rofl. Its funny because necros are the only class that gets new spells/abilities that do not share the same timer as the previous ones. They all act like casting 16 dots is hard its not any harder then any other dps class.

Anyways the problem is everything melee dps does is multiplied by other buffs/disc etc what rogues, zerkers, monks need is an 8-12s reuse ability that does high damage but is not effected by stuff like HHE, Shaman Epic, Zerker war cry, Bard epic, bst fury line etc.

For zerkers frenzy damage is sooooo low its absurd it should of been an ability used to balance the class instead they just make the problem worse by not addressing the key issue with melee that we NEED other classes to even compete.
  16. Tinyfeet Elder

All melee are somewhat hurting right now. Rogues are semi-ok in a proper group on burns, but our sustained is a joke. Zerkers aren't what they used to be, everyone knows the story with monks. The best off melee is currently the BST (for sustained). If you're in a guild where the Necros, Wizards, and Mages aren't topping the parses, then they're doing something wrong. The tools just aren't there for the melees to be as competitive as we have been in the past. Maybe the next update will help things... only time will tell.
  17. KC13 Augur

My Paladin is a level higher than my Necro. He simply cannot handle mobs that the Necro eats for lunch. In fact the Necro can often handle 3 at a time. The Paladin requires a rez.......
  18. Noobieguy Augur

Do you constantly have to swap out spell sets? If anyone is sitting there doing nothing, they aren't doing something right. Necros are the only class that has to CONSTANTLY swap spell sets to keep up. I'm not talking about memming a spell here or there occasionally, but swapping spells often enough to try and keep up however many DoTs you want on the mob(s). It's not "hard", but it is definitely a PITA that no other class has to do constantly.
  19. Gladare Augur

whoopty doo. You have to save multiple spell sets and let the game change them out for you while you continue to do damage while sitting on your . Your corpses do more dps than a lot of people. You're not going to make anyone believe that changing spell sets is hard or complicated.
  20. Noobieguy Augur

Because if they linked all the previous ones with new ones, our DPS would be so bad that they would have increase the damage on our DoTs by a LOT to be anywhere near other DPS classes. 6 of our top 15 DPS DoTs are from old expansions, take those away and we are left with worse DPS than any other class. Take those older 6 DoTs away and that is a loss of just over 27% of our DPS. No, that is not a good idea.
  21. Noobieguy Augur

Please sit and mem spell while adds are popping and AEs are going off that make you stand up and sit back down again to finish. If you could read, you would see I said it isn't hard, but it is most definitely a PITA.. And harder than hitting hotkey x y z. While /autofire is on.
    Knutplate likes this.