May's TLPs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Crabman, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Crabman Augur

Could we just... Whatever the new ruleset is, Level Locked, GoD starting, Progress backwards, gnomes only... i dont care at this point but can we have one "interesting" rule and one Phinny/Mangler clone. We've already shown that there are enough people who play this game and reroll tlps that 2 servers starting at once at once works, so why not make them vastly different from one another. Even this year, I think thornblade should have been a mangler clone and mischief be the "trying new things" tlp. Some people immediately says "FV loot isnt for me" which is fine, but for them it meant waiting a year for the fresh server they were looking for.

I have my fingers crossed that the GoD start rumor isnt correct. I enjoy fresh classic start tlps. I enjoy the game through Luclin and usually start to get bored during pop. You may disagree or call me crazy but for the last 5 years I have rinsed and repeated and I hope I and everyone else who Ive seen on just about all of those servers also gets that opportunity if they so chose.
    Iove, Pumpernickel, Popknot and 3 others like this.
  2. Ponter Elder

I feel like there are droves of more casual players out there who don't neccesarily have a voice on these forums who would love a fresh Phinny style TLP. I haven't managed to catch a fresh start because of IRL commitments, and I am really hoping that there is at least one conventional TLP that more closely resembles original EQ than the latest server have. I know there's people on both sides of the argument, and both sides are valid. I will low key cry into my cheerios if there's two weird rulesets anounced though, and I'll be forced to listen to Kelethen ambient music on YouTube for ANOTHER year...
    Popknot and Crabman like this.
  3. Korea numbah3 Elder

How many phinny clones have there been already?
  4. Tweakfour17 Augur

Phinny, Coirnav, Mangler, Aradune (sorta)
  5. Crabman Augur

So after phinny, corinav was a bit slower xp, then agnarr was ldon locked, then mangler was a straight clone (no focuses before luclin i guess was a difference if my timeline is correct), then aradune was "2-box" only (or so they said) then mischief was classic start, a little faster cadence and obviously fv/random loot

so only 1 but the core of the rest of them has been the same. classic start and "close to" 12 week unlock up until they changed the unlock times a bit on mischief.

During that time there was also Selo which came with mangler, and miragul was in like October iirc
  6. Ponter Elder

There's only been Phinny and Coirnav AFAIK with that ruleset. Everything else had some variation of increased exp, no box limit, weird rules, faster expansion unlocks, era locked, etc. Coirnav was 4 years ago now. Let them make a super weird new idea server to try to keep things new and fresh, then another regular nothing weird server as well.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Mangler & later TLP have had no focus effects on gear until Luclin while Phingel had them from the start.

Phinny & Coirnav also started with "classic XP" which was painfully slower than what mangler started with.

So unless you want that slow XP (Coirnav probably had a much smaller level of interest than Phinigel had because of that 1 thing ) you really should just say Mangler Clone.
  8. Mattling Elder

I don't understand the fixation with these weird ruleset TLPs.

People come back to EverQuest for nostalgia and the social environment. Making the game different throws the nostalgia factor out the window than to start in GoD, an expansion that was notoriously hated in it's time due to it's difficulty, it seems completely counterintuitive to what people actually want.

It's no coincidence that the classic start servers have done so well while Selo and Miragul we're basically dead after the first month.
    Haak likes this.
  9. Crabman Augur

Ok cool, yea so i was right on focus timeline and wrong about phinny xp. point still stands, new tlps should be one "whatever new thing we want" and one MANGLER clone
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Just because you don;t understand the appeal of novel rulesets doesn;t mean they are inherently bad.

Expressed through a drinking analogy:

Nostalgia straight up, no ice, no water, no soda, no nothing is something a lot of TLP players already did (on live) once or (arguably feel they did) more, tasted good to most but do they want a repeat order?

Nostalgia with a *new twist....hmm let's try the new flavour & see if we like it or not.

TBH pretty much ALL "Progression Servers" have had a little twist of some kind, the changes are just getting a little more varied now. Mischief's loot rule was a big surprise.

Even the "standard TLP" that Mangler represents, an evolution as it was from Ragefire & Phinigel is actually a "twisted Nostalgia" it just happens to be the one perceived to have less radical departures & so fits more squarely within a comfort zone established both by small-twist & big-twist TLP to find the "sweet spot" for generating large interest & consequently good return on investment.
    Ragefire was actually far closer to the live experience, apart from the Mage armies than Phinigel or the servers after it.
  11. Crabman Augur

Agreed, after mangler to aradune's only real change was "two-box limit," which was poorly enforced. Mischief's loot rules were quite a surprise
  12. Zansobar Augur

The no focus effects until Luclin is not going to be undone. That is part of the small improvements they make to the base game on each TLP if they have the time.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Crabman Augur

You're right. Just as VP key has been changed, MoTM has been added, and so on
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

Agnarr was between Phinny and Coirnav and focuses are out pre-luclin as an "enhancement" to the Phinny ruleset., but yeah.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Ponter Elder

Was mangler true box? I recall trying to play it but getting put off by a swarm of 20 mages named tim or something locking down every single ice giant spawn... Maybe it was a different server though, I'm not honestly sure anymore, I just know I've tried 3 servers, and only Phinny was enjoyable.I got to the party too late to play Ragefire.

In any case whichever server did it, slower exp, truebox, 12 week releases, whatever is the closest to original EQ is what I'm hoping for. I came to Phinny from P99, and would play on P99 if there was a viable population, but seeing as there isn't, the next best thing is a TLP with as few changes as possible. At the same time I'm not a die hard no changes type. I understand implementing QOL changes like ADV loot, and having to use new versions of zones, and agents of change and whatnot. Those don't change the game too much beyond less for all involved.
  16. Arclyte Augur

Try to ignore the vocal minority on these forums. Every recent TLP has had a truebox classic start server. That's what makes money because that is what the majority of normal, functioning adults want.
  17. Corydon Augur

So-called adults still acting like self-entitled brats. Just wait and see.
    And then start crying some more because it's not the ruleset you wanted.
    Not directed at anyone specifically -- this is just the current essence of this forum pre-announcement-era.

I can't help myself but laugh out loud (literally) when people yell "this is day X of waiting for the announcement!!1!one!!!!!" or "just tell me now because I need to plan for days off from work!!!"
  18. Protagonist Tank

Selos was a Luclin start.

Rizlona was not truebox.
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  19. Crabman Augur

And both had a classic, truebox server start along with them. And that’s all the intent of the thread was. To put the idea that if one has some sort of new ruleset, have another tlp with classic truebox
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Ponter Elder

What is the point of this forum if not to make idiotic new threads about TLP hopes and dreams?