Maybe Lock the next progression to GoD, OoW or TSS?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Berkwin, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Xeris Augur

I dunno, I very much enjoyed oow. I'm pretty confident there is significantly more to do in the oow era than there is on Agnarr.

I'm also an insane person that has maintained over 90% RA on Agnarr for 6 years... Doing the same stuff over and over is not a problem for me
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. itzagame_m8s Journeyman

The blinders are strong here... LOL Agnarr thrives and other posters are correct, it's population has been steadily climbing, both returning players and established players from other servers who prefer 35 -50k PP Kronos over 3.8- 4 million PP for them. It is quite possible to raid 2 nights a week on Agnarr and raid live.

Why the vitriol and hate toward people liking a server where, if you play live also, the characters never fall behind the curve.

All this hate at TLPs by people who don't play on the servers.

Personally, I would love a locked server that was level 85 capped and once it reached max level, enabling Heroics.
  3. Ishbu Augur

Agnar was not low population when it was progressing through content.

Now it is always low population. A few people going either way doesnt change the fact that this server used to have a higher population when it was going through new content than it does now, period.

If you feel the truth is hating on you and your server, thats a problem with insecurities for you to work out, otherwise take it for what it is, the reality of the situation that locking a server didnt make it more popular longterm than any other.

Now if you had actually read the reply chain you pulled one response out of, you would know that this thread is asking for a lock point of GoD, OOW, or TSS, and that the response you quoted was defending another poster who said people will always ask for a new lock point, which thread proves, because they already have Agnar if they just want an expansion locked server.
  4. Xeris Augur

Every server had a higher population than when it first started. You're not saying anything groundbreaking here. Nobody is saying that Agnarr has a "high" population. And a successful server doesn't just mean it has a high pop.
  5. Bewts Augur

Playing on EQMac - and now Agnarr; the appeal is not for everyone once the cap has been reached. And as is for literally every TLP ever... populations decline as time passes.

The great part about the locked content, is if/when you need to step away or just want to take a break you never really "fall behind". You can just pick up where you left off, or re-roll and use the existing toons inventory/plat to re-play the content. Granted on Agnarr you can go 1-43 in a single day in DS PL group, and hit 65 in a matter of a day(s) sitting AFK in Paw xp groups so you can play literally as fast or as slow as you want. In example, my new boxes will get leveled exclusively via LDON (instead of Paw grinds) from 55-65 just for the heck of it. Actual expansion locks like Agnarr enable re-playable content at your own pace without the need for a TLP launch / rush / chaos that it inevitably becomes.

The big drawback with expansion locked servers is that functionally, it doesn't serve as a "dropping off/launching point" for future TLP launches for populations to branch off to/from. If such a mechanism was in place, you could bolster Agnarr populations as TLP pass through Agnarr's expansion locked era.

In example, people could transfer off of the next TLP to Agnarr (for free for 1 week) leading up to the date the new TLP leaves PoP. People who don't want to push forward can step off the gas onto Agnarr and join the ranks of people there to continue playing.

Alternatively, Agnarr can serve as a launching pad for future TLP where characters created after Date A will be provided the option with a free server transfer token to move to the/a new TLP server during the first week that starts at GoD (or any expansion, really) under whatever format they decide. In example, using the current schedule, any character made on Agnarr after January 1, 2023 through one week after the the new TLP launch date in May would be eligible to transfer to the new TLP that starts with GoD.

This would bolster the existing population of Agnarr with new / returning players for effectively half the year that then have an option to join the new TLP with that character in May. People looking to make Krono could also spend time with permanent characters on Agnarr that are designed to level/gear up new characters using Agnarr as a launching point; establishing a population of players that harvest pixels half the year and provide a harvest/service the other half as people push to gear themselves for a new TLP launch.

Using Agnarr as a stopping point / launching pad is an excellent way to "make use" of the locked era for those arriving at PoP, leaving PoP, or starting on a TLP with an expansion later than PoP.
  6. Xeris Augur

I hope you enjoy the LDON lvling path. I did that on a few chars. Just straight ldons from 55 until I maxed the charm... Got 250 or so AAs along the ride too. It was cool
  7. Jimmy2times Elder

Please someone listen to this man.
    Dre. likes this.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Having played through OoW not able to do either Epic Quest in era, I would have to disagree with you on it being boring and nothing else was in the expansion. It was an amazing expansion.

I would say that the best idea would be as Xeris suggested and to have it just be a level 70 capped server. Do the progression through the last of the expansions with a level 70 cap. There is a lot of fun group and raid content in that range.
  9. coltongrundy Augur

You not finishing your 2.0 back in 2004 is irrelevant. It's not the same game today. Most people will have their 2.0 epics done in the 1st month and have a box or 2 done in the 2nd month. The 2.0s are pretty trivial on modern TLP servers. You will finish them very quickly and then have nothing to do for the rest of the time you're on a oow locked server until you go crawling back to wherever you came from.
  10. Triconx Augur

By the end OOW every person and their alts of alts had 2.0. Globes rotted. I'm no hard-core player on terms of hours anymore and I did both war and druid 1.5s within a weekend. The entire druid 1.5 I did 2 boxing minus a couple fights. I also did sham 1.5 in a day a few months later. Took longer waiting for globes to come down in dkp than doing the quests.
  11. Xeris Augur

You're missing the point though. In oow there's SIGNIFICANTLY more interesting things to do as a NON RAIDER than at the Agnarr lock point. As a non raider you can go after goat armor in GOD, Epic 1.5s, MPG group trials, and I presume elementals will become doable for non raiders in some group gear.

In the Agnarr era the only thing non raiders can do is farm paw, ldons, or maybe some old raid content, but nothing that provides meaningful rewards. Non raiders can get gear and accomplish stuff that seriously increase their power level, which makes that stuff rewarding to accomplish.

As a RAIDER: you can do 2.0s, farm anguish, mpg group trials, Tacvi... Then go after older stuff like chase augs in LDON, potime for some clickies, etc. There's probably slightly more relevant raid content than the Agnarr era.

Thus; way more for casuals to do, a little bit more for raiders. Oow is a superior lock point.

To add a caveat: I love Agnarr and think it's currently the best server, and the only thing that would make me leave it would be an oow lock or a broader 70 lock
    Dre. likes this.
  12. Ishbu Augur

Are you aware that the experience you are describing is literally how a normal TLP works as it progress forward in eras? Level 70 lasts for 9 months, there is an absurd amount of time to go back and get your "chase" items and gear up on previous content.

Then after that 9 month stretch, the game gets a new expansion that raises the level cap to 75 so you can now go back and do the same thing with the level 70 content you couldnt previously complete. In addition to this, over half the content in TSS is intended for sub max level players so you get even more options!
  13. Kahna Augur

I don't see the point of this at all. DPG doesn't care about bolstering the population of Agnarr. I see how allowing folks to have a paid transfer to Agnarr any time prior to their server hitting GoD would be fine. That would not significantly impact either server negatively.

The whole let characters play on Agnarr for 6 months prior to a new GoD TLP start though? That is an awful idea. The "boost" to Agnarr's population is a false one, as all those folks will leave in 6 months and contribute nothing to the long term community. I would guess having waves of folks only there for 6 months at a time would actually be rather disruptive to the Agnarr community and economy. Which I imagine is rather close knit and relatively stable.

As for the "new" server? 90% of a new server's draw is that it is a new server. That everyone is starting from scratch. No one is starting from scratch with your plan. Even with krono transferring from server to server, a brand new server has limited plat, limited items, limited everything. The economy grows as the server does. Friendships and guild communities grow as the server does. Far fewer people are going to be excited about starting on Agnarr, an already established server, so you have already lost everyone who rerolls for that New Server Smell (tm).

With your plan everyone on the new server will have leveled their tradeskillers on Agnarr, brought over plat from Agnarr, obtained gear from Agnarr. If you didn't start on Agnarr you will be so far behind that most folks won't even bother starting at all. What, exactly, is the point of forcing folks to play on Agnarr for 6 months before they can play on the new server? It makes no sense.

Agnarr is what it is. A prison server. If you enjoy it, then enjoy it for what it is, don't try to commandeer the new servers to temporarily bolster your population.
  14. Kluiena New Member

"Locked" servers are a dead on arrival.

Your computer being, "craptastic" means the rest of us should suffer? Turn off spell effects and the other 10+ graphics settings so your potato can run EQ over 30 FPS.

"What I want" server suggestion posts should be immediately deleted.
  15. Bewts Augur

As a flavor… after the last L70 expansion is finished; all expansions unlock but you’re capped at L70 and all gear with level requirement > 70 get reduced to L70.

Basically turns to “Live” but you’re limited by only what you can actually defeat (similar to Vaniki)
    Dre. likes this.
  16. Critt Augur

locked servers are dead ends, popular for a bit, but you can only do it for so long before you realize you're never going to get anywhere, most people lose interest when they reach the finish line..
  17. Faydra Augur

Not really accurate. Agnarr did very well initially. Locked servers just don't fare well long-term. However, that's no different than any other TLP that dies off when the new ones are released anyways.
  18. Tweakfour17 Augur

Agnarr was modern TLP 2. We are up to TLP 12 (?), I'm not sure an Agnarr in this day and age would do as well as it did back then, especially if paired with a 2nd server like they have done the last few years.
  19. Captain Video Augur

Agnarr was intended to be a direct replacement for Al'Kabor, which ran successfully for several years. Some of the regulars playing now on Agnarr go back to Al'Kabor. The underlying intent of the server is to provide a place where social interaction is more important than grinding two tons of content. It shouldn't really be compared to any other TLP because its purpose is different from any other TLP. Some players now on Agnarr would like a little more content, but I don't see any consensus on that point. The team has proposed, on its own initiative, launching another locked server before, but has backed off due to the strong player demand for other options, and the total number of servers is limited.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Skuz like this.
  20. MaestroM Augur

I was VERY excited for Agnarr. I like REALLY wanted it. I was a huge fan of it.

I haven't logged in to Agnarr in years and I don't really feel compelled to right now. If it's still around in a few years maybe someday I might log back in.

If they release another locked server someday I'm totally in favor of it. But I doubt I'll play there past the first few months (as long as its classic launch). But the server I'm really looking forward to is a Mischief 2.0 server.