"Max Melee Range" - AOE Rampage Encounters (melee issue)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tinyfeet, May 8, 2013.

1. Tinyfeet Elder

Is it intentional or an oversight that, while at max melee range (furthest distance from the mob that you can still hit the mob with attack, even one step backwards puts you out of range) all of the rogue's skills are out of range to activate? (I assume this is also true for the other melee classes).

Perfect examples: Aaryonar and Vyemm in CTOV - While standing at max melee range I can successfully auto attack and backstab the dragons, but I cannot use Onslaught, Deceit, Gash, or any of my other abilities. It doesn't make sense that I'm in range to attack the encounter, but not in range to use my abilities.

Other classes don't suffer this same impediment - while wizards/mages/necros/etc. still have to stand at max melee range (due to the belly caster mechanic) they still have access to the full array of their spells and abilities - whereas the melees, standing at max melee range, cannot use their melee abilities.

Anyone want to chime in with additional information or tips?
  2. Brogett Augur

The problem here is that the melee specials are all fixed range, but the AoE rampage is tied to the mob hit-box. Hence large models cause problems while short ones do not.

My preference would be to go with a more organised form of rampage more often, like Mordaur in Xorbb#1. In that encounter the rampage comes in groups of 3 (occasionally 4?) 2 second apart, with ~50sec gap between the triplets. By and large it makes it completely avoidable with a bit of skill and doesn't suffer the nightmare of attempting to be max range on a mob which is likely moving a little bit.
  3. Muji Augur

Monk is same way, cant use most all skills. Just log in your alt ranger for AE ramp dragons.
  4. Fllint Elder

The whole problem with this is the fact that most activated AA's for melee (warriors as well) have a range of 50. The root of this problem could EASILY be fixed if they just set the base range for all activated AA abilities to be an absolute MINIMUM of 100 range. Even at 100 range it would likely still be close to aoe rampage range for a lot of large hitbox mobs, but it would be much more manageable at that point (while still being a tiny range which the devs seem set on imposing on us for some reason).
  5. Ishtass Augur

or, make the effect triggerable on mob_x based on the melee range for that mob.
  6. Tinyfeet Elder