max EQ instances logged into game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by demi, Aug 5, 2021.

1. demi Augur

just curious on how many EQ instances 1 pc could handle ..

I myself have had 12 logged in and in game .. got kinda laggy though but i also had sound and graphics going on all of them .. and my system is pretty old ..
    6 core processor AMD
    16gig ram
    6 gig dedicated graphics card
    120gig SSD ..
    2 TB HDD ..
    EQ is run from SSD ..
    and only 1 eq folder for all 12 accounts , i dont have seperate folders ..
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Magefire had armies of 48+ or so.
  3. Captain Video Augur

System and GPU memory are going to be your primary bottlenecks when trying to prevent lag, either in-game due to low frame rate, or when process swapping between clients. You can run multiple clients off a single EQ installation easily enough, but each active client will take up a separate chunk of your GPU memory for its texture storage, that won't be shared. I personally like to estimate 0.75 GB of GPU memory per client in order to minimize risk of low frame rate hits and corresponding lag. I also estimate 1.5 GB of system memory per client to avoid significant delays in switching between clients. Consider 4 GB of your system memory to be committed for Windows use, so a 16 GB system would be expected to hit a wall at eight simultaneous clients, and that's assuming you have literally nothing else running at the same time: no browser, no e-mail, no Netflix, zip. Running more EQ clients will mean the OS will swap out the idle ones, and it will take you a lot longer to get back into them if you tab through.

It also matters how large your pagefile is, and if it's contiguous. It should be at least 8 GB (for Windows use) + 1.5 GB * how many clients you want to run simultaneously. Twelve clients means you would want a pagefile of no less than 24 GB, and 32 GB would be much better. This will help a lot when it comes to switching back and forth between the client windows. If you're booting off a 120 GB SSD, you won't have a pagefile nearly that large.
  4. Axel Furry Hats OP

Depends on your settings. If you just want toons logged in, with your setup you can probably get 24-32+ logged in (using old graphics, 800x400 instead of 1920x1080, absolutely lowest graphics settings). You could probably get even more in, but the issue would be using the toons. If you just want to flex, you can get quite a bit in, but you won't be able to do much.

Also boxing with sound on sucks, idk how you were able to stand 12 accounts playing sound at the same time, that sounds (heh) miserable.
  5. demi Augur

well I have music turned off , but sounds on for instance fighting i can hear when someone beats on one of my boxes .. instead of watching the red bar go down :p my reflexes are a bit quicker if i hear it rather than see it and try to react..
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

Same here although I'm on TrueBox and using separate PCs.