Math is hard, help with a comma or three

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jhinx, Jun 29, 2021.

1. brickz Augur

Number separators and the ability to scale the font/UI are pretty desperately needed as the people playing this game are getting older and screen resolutions are increasing
    Stymie, Elyssanda and Act of Valor like this.
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Indeed. 1080p is a very old resolution, but I'm afraid to upgrade to 4k and what it would do to my UI.
    Stymie and Elyssanda like this.
  3. Kase Augur

So many other issues that are more important and need updating/fixing. This is 1 of those issues that I feel once you make a mistake with the math-- It's "self-correcting" and you won't do it again.
    Tatanka likes this.
  4. Strawberry Augur

You can always run a 4k screen in 1080p if scaling is an issue. This defeats the point of 4k, but at least there is a solution.

But many of those 4k screens have "HDR" and many games and movies look like a complete mess. There is no real "HDR" standard, and manufacturers are allowed to implement it any way they see fit. Windows 11 also has HDR on by default in games, forcing people to search through settings to solve HDR issues.

I will keep buying screens without HDR and keep using Windows 10, the amount of people with HDR issues is staggering.
  5. Maedhros High King

I'd happily settle for 4,000,000 or 4 000 000 - but I agree 4000000 is stupid and easy to make errors in this format.
    Vaniddar likes this.
  6. Vlahkmaak Augur

Just switch all transactions to scientific notation.
  7. Randel Flag Elder

counting 0s is HAAARRDD MKay.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is why almost every place that has large numbers uses some sort of separator every 3 digits to make it easier to read. There are a lot more places that use some sort of separator than don't. It isn't about being hard but preventing simple mistakes.
    Svann2 and Stymie like this.
  9. Stymie Pendragon

It can make the game nearly unplayable from my experience due to how small elements get. Using /Chatfont size helps, but the area where you type doesn't increase in font size like the message window does.

If you have good eyesight it may not be a problem, but I have less than ideal 22 years after the game launched. It's funny, I didn't take this into account when I decided to upgrade my monitor, but I realized it the very 1st time I logged in. If there is anyway to try before you buy, friends computer or something like that, I advise it.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

11. Stymie Pendragon

12. Strawberry Augur

Windows has a built-in magnifying glass, you can hotkey this to a mouse button. I use it all the time, even if I can read the text without it, because it's so easy to use. You can resize it any way you want.

[IMG]

inception
    [IMG]
    Accipiter, Niskin and Stymie like this.
  13. Stymie Pendragon

I have to admit that is a pretty cool function that Windows has that I never knew about! Thank you. :)

Digit separators are still lacking in EQ though. The fact that they enabled decimals for exp gains says, to me, that they can incorporate the OP's request.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  14. Tucoh Augur

Reasonable suggestion: add comma separators

Unreasonable suggestion: add more valuable currencies than platinum until 1billion plat can be represented in 100 or fewer coins. Selling 1krono for 15 unobtanium!

Big brain suggestion: add a graded wealth tax on all accounts that starts at wealth above 1million plat and reaches 100% on wealth above 100million plat. Limit trades to 100k on bazaar. Eat the rich.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Plat/Gold/Silver/Copper are treated as Copper when talking about a transaction in the bazaar so adding a new currency won't help.
  16. Thul Journeyman

Only 10 types of people understand binary, those that do and those that don't!
    Svann2, Celephane, Tatanka and 2 others like this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And those that like to waste a bit for a joke.
    Stymie likes this.
  18. Littlelegs Elder

For the sake of argument ... how exactly would this be useful? Different languages written and verbal, the knowledge of converting mathematical units from one to the other is all pretty commonplace. I just don't see why it would be the huge win. Doing math in college was annoying with 8 different units for pressure and memorizing constants in multiple unit configurations ... but also that's kind of the point of doing calculations and not that I could just google the answer or whatever.

The answer I most often hear for metric beyond 'it just makes sense' (which it pretty much does) is the space and other engineering disasters. Maybe we should make the math easier for those guys so they don't get confused /s.

Practically, it won't happen. Too much money invested in making the various measuring devices nevermind retrofitting scattered equipment world-wide in what I have to imagine is an insane amount of nuts and bolts of one system or another out there. If I could Thanos us into metric I would, but it's a dumb argument.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because you can use a single unit of measurement and not have to worry about translating it depending on the audience? Even something as simple as what the temperature would be simpler if it was all the same and not having to convert units based on where in the world the data is coming from.

Not only that the metric system is much better for converting up and down in units which can make it easier to understand exactly they compare to each other.

If 95% of the world is using a system of measurement that works there is no real reason for the remaining 5% to stick to an older measurement system instead of standardizing. Doing so could also help lower costs by not having to work in both systems.
  20. Strawberry Augur

To avoid losing a million $ spacecraft due to conversion mistakes.

To avoid a plane almost crashing because it ran out of fuel due to conversion mistakes.

To avoid a rollercoaster derailing and almost killing everyone.

This time it was just a spacecraft going off course due to a dumb contractor using imperial, next time it might be a bomb landing on the wrong spot.

It is way too easy to make mistakes with imperial because it does not have a base of 10 like metric. And while science, medicine and maritime ports use metric in the US (thank God), there are still way too many contractors and small companies using imperial, with often catastrophic consequences as a result.

These small companies using imperial are literally putting the lives of Americans in danger. If you want to use imperial, do so at your own leisure, but contractors using imperial working with scientists using metric, is a disaster waiting to happen.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.