Massive Server Lag/Pauses

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bobbybick, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Right.
    With the last patch, there was introduced a "new quality" to the issues we already have.
    The "freezes" mid-casting (with locked refresh timers for a few seconds etc) were not experienced (at least not by me) prior to that.
    However, no "click" is being lost, i found.
    Nor does the game crash and neither does it happen on something that would make it obvious it's a client-side issue.

e.g. i tank a mob and my box casts a heal, client "freezes".
    Healer can can not cast (refrech timers locked, i am even getting "you can not do this now" messages), but the cast started before the lock-up goes through and is processed by the time the 2-3seconds are up.
    I haven't taken "shadow damage" through this or found myself at unepected low levels of health like in some (at first glance) similar cases years back.
    This indicates that the server isn't doing some things that the client can simply not keep up with for some reason.

I can't help it, but i feel like it's a new way of the client to "deal" with lost/missing packets.
    And then, when they come, the client picks up where it was and processes the deltas, which we experience as a "burst" of things.
    With what we see left+right and the very limited communication they gave about "architectural choices",
    it is not unreasonable to assume that "the server" sends some information to a (centralized) queuing system, which handles the connections and distributes it to the clients (evaluates /say ranges for example and such before doing so), and that this system is now, for some "behind-the-scenes reallocation of resources" struggling to keep up too and sending THIS kind of information out in bursts too where before only "pure chat" was affected.

When i say "chat system" and may have implied above that this has to do with the "chat-lag" at all, it's from my assumption that they are using a centralized system to handle client/server communication, rather than a de-centralized / per-server solution.
    (Because of savings on license-costs for example)

And my conclusion to this is that we have to "live with this" until they either decide to (again?) decentralize these kinds of things or scale up that central system massively.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Still happening. Happened like twice or three times during our raiding tonight.

Bertox Server.
    Numzan and Hiladdar like this.
  3. Baeltor New Member

Still happening, almost seems worse, more often.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  4. Metanis Bad Company

This has been going on for 2 months now and the happy folks at DBG haven't even noticed. I guess when you're having a glorious nerf party everything looks peachy.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  5. fransisco Augur

This has been going on for like 6 months. But its gotten worse in the last 2-3.
  6. Hiladdar Augur

The grays told me that there was an invasion and the body snatchers kidnaped the real developers and replaced the with lizard-hybrid clones, brainwashed with megalomania from the Pinky and the Brain cartoons. Well this is a good as any of the above explanations as to lag issue, and freeze up issue.

Seriously, this is an issue. I do play on toons on other servers then where my main plays, and this is an issue across all the servers that I play.
  7. Rickoshay Journeyman

This server lag has been going on way too long. It is intolerable and has a MAJOR negative impact on all aspects of game play. Groups and especially raids are regularly wiping because of this lag. Our guild group was tasking in FM of the RoK expansion on last Thursday with just 8 people in the whole zone and the lag was causing maddening interruptions while fighting mobs.
    Are you ever going to address the lag issues Daybreak? Please make a positive commitment to fix this issue for the sake of your subscribers. It can't help but to have a negative impact on your financial bottom line.
  8. Rhodz Augur

Actually between this and a couple of other ongoing aggravations I have found no desire to play lately.
    Guess its that time again.
  9. Gremin Augur

Still happens frequently on LJ server.
  10. wingz-83 Augur

How do you know they aren't?

New theory.....Higher DPS =more server side calcs= more lag.

There's a solution for that.
  11. Numzan Augur

Someone really needs to look at this server. It freezes constantly being all alone in a zone. Hotzones at lvl 35-40 do the same thing with 0 people in it. The mobs die as one big packet.
  12. Numzan Augur

I doubt there is many raiding at 3am my time to 6am and it happens a lot. So i am going to say its more hardware, or network feed.
  13. daranged Lorekeeper

Heres the problem
  14. Hiladdar Augur

Post November 15th patch, I am still experiencing this.

.... But wait, as an added "feature" when I switch characters, and click the "enter world" button, I am sometimes taken to the character select screen in the "real world."
  15. john5 Lorekeeper

No, the OP is describing server lag. Chat lag is insignificant and no one would post about it without specifying it. Server lag (high latency on host machine) could be misdiagnosed as Internet lag (high latency en route), but not if an entire raid experiences it at the same time. If your screen locks up for a few seconds, that's client-side for sure, and is likely caused by a slow/fragmented hard disk causing the entire machine to wait while it seeks data to load zone assets, insufficient RAM causing the disk to load more often than it needs, or your CPU being bottlenecked in some manner (by EQ itself or other cpu-hungry software you have running).

CPU bottlenecking can look exactly like graphics lag, that's what it would likely be, since your graphics card isn't involved in making logfiles. If the CPU can't keep up it's end of the math, and the GPU is newer and capable of processing more stuff than the CPU / system bus allows, it would look the same as a slower graphics card / graphics lag.

Exactly right, this is what I am experiencing and the OP is describing.
  16. Jelly New Member

I've tried everything possible (client side). defragmenting hard drive, adding more ram, wired connection as opposed to wireless, updated modem and router, even unistalled EQ, cleared out all files and reinstalled again. Worse part about it is I lost all my settings and /advloot settings .......and still... same thing happens.. not lag spikes, more like server is not keeping up with client for a second or 3... then catches up and all is fine.
    Metanis likes this.
  17. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

It's been determined (by the players) for a while now that the lag most of us in this thread are referring to is server-side as it affects entire raids which are no doubt using a very wide variety of ISPs / PC setups yet are all affected equally.

It's just disappointing that Daybreak continue their silence for going on 2 months considering this thread has been on the first page of Vet's lounge since it was created and they clearly read this forum from time to time. I guess we just hope one day the lag disappears as mysteriously as it appeared.
  18. Vanrau Augur

Ya and it has nothing to do with Daybreak's backbone provider or else all servers and games would experience lag at the same time. This all points back to either a programming issue or something wrong with the servers.
    Scila likes this.
  19. Warpeace Augur

Lag on raids was horrible lastnight FV server. Price raid is consistently horrible. How can 2 mobs spawn and rubberband non stop so badly?

The raid only has 3 mobs at a time:mad: