Massive Server Lag/Pauses

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bobbybick, Sep 20, 2017.

1. taliefer Augur

i had also just assumed it was due to omens launching on phinny.

maybe its the death throes of EQ finally coming around
  2. Mordak New Member

Been getting it on LJ for a few weeks as well
  3. AlaskaJay Lorekeeper

Three accounts on three machines on Agnarr. Laptops even running off a different connection all together than the PC. Randomly get these long pauses. Rarely effects all 3 at once, usually just one at a time randomly.
  4. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

It makes me wonder if people are trying to DDoS EQ. The lag pauses seemed to coincide with the test patch of nerfs.

Not condoning the behavior, just stating a coincidence that looks to match up.
  5. phattoni Augur

random lock ups and huge chat lag when raiding on lockjaw, thought it was my isp again...

randomly it will just lock up and not do anything, server literally stops responding to me or something.
  6. smash Augur

Am thinking if the strutters of server might now come from:

People doing bazar
    People doing find item. It might be expensive if checking all the thing on a player with houses and in crates.
  7. Zinth Augur

and apparently DBG is ignoring the issue while the lag spikes are hampering gameplay and causing raid wipes occasionally
    Hiladdar likes this.
  8. phaeril Augur

No, it's not network lag or dropped packets or anything. We had one in our Sky instance that lasted nearly 10 seconds and nobody took any damage or anything during that time. It's like the zone server deadlocked and a watchdog process swept through releasing all mutexes. We've noticed that encounters get super messed up sometimes when this happens, Overseer of Air having the abilities/spells of every boss still alive in the zone, Terror DTing, VS having 300% haste...

This really feels like a malfunction in locking memory resources properly and falling back to letting the race condition play itself out so that it doesn't hard crash. Feels like a newish thing, one or two patches now, that I want to say was probably to address some zone crashes that were happening. We had lower guk crash on us like 3 times one night and had been in south karana a couple times when it crashed. It feels identical to those but instead of it just dropping your connection after 15 seconds or so (and logging back in to see that you had been rolled back) it just starts moving again but occasionally with memory corruption.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  9. Rhodz Augur

Whatever it is began with the last patch so...
    Hiladdar likes this.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

I believe it's server-side based on my own observations and from what I'm reading other players report. The memory and setting corruption part of this makes me wonder if there are virtualization issues as random zones get spun up as instances. Just a WAG on my part though as I have no inside info.
  11. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Totally server side, as Metanis can tell you during our raids last night, everyone in our guild had a few MAJOR ones all at the same time, we know, because we were all noting them in TS.. when half the raid starts calling out LAG spike.. it is NOT client side.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  12. Tutankamen Augur

I thought people had said that the servers were in Texas and were affected by the hurricane and infrastructure issues...
  13. Gremin Augur

Still happening and needs to be addressed.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  14. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Started around September 13th, last patch was Sep 20th. I remember since it was odd the issue cropped up without the usual patch to blame it on AND the patch the next week did not fix the issue as we had expected.
    svann likes this.
  15. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Unless they were moved, all EverQuest servers are in San Diego, California except for the European server.

They might have moved them when I wasn't looking.
  16. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

On closer inspection there WAS a Test Patch on September 12th. I would assume that patches to Test wouldn't adversely affect live this much but this is EQ so no telling.
  17. Febb Augur

The servers are located in a level 3 data center in Las Vegas.
  18. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Texas, San Diego, Las Vegas...
    Are you guys sure they're not located in a certain Airforce base in Nevada near the A-le-Inn?
    Or inside a certain phonebox that's far bigger on the inside than the outside?
  19. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Any update on this? We're still getting giant lag spikes about 2-3 times per hour on Phinigel. Everything freezes for a good 4-5 seconds each time. Always affects the whole server at the same time. Entire guild will complain about it at the same time in different zones. It's been like this for over a month now.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  20. Herf Augur

The above is a very concise description of the problem. NOTHING moves. If it's due to chat issues then it's perhaps related to either blocking on a chat socket or blocking on a semaphore.