Massive Server Lag/Pauses

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bobbybick, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

For about a week now we (Phinigel server) have been experiencing large pauses/lag freezes ingame that is affecting people across all zones and is hitting people from the West Coast to Europe. These lag pauses last around 2-3 seconds and are very intermittent, occurring all times of day. From speaking to guildmates they have said it is also affecting them on live servers which is why I am posting this here and not the TLP forum section.

Any other servers (besides AB) experiencing similar issues over the past week?
  2. svann Augur

Same on Bristlebane. Still ongoing after patch. Id guess about 1 every 20 minutes. It feels just like a client crash but then recovers.
  3. kinadafz Augur

I noticed it about 1-2 weeks ago on Tunare, figured it was my internet
  4. Millianna Augur

Nope, happening on 7th as well. Same sort of thing occurred last year at this time. Wonder if it has anything to do with the new expansion.
  5. Maedhros High King

It's also been happening on Cazic for a week or so.
    Rickoshay likes this.
  6. Gremin Augur

Hitting Lock jaw regularly also.
  7. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Guys...
    That's because the chat-system is off-server and over-integrated.
    We on AB cope with this and worse since NOV/DEC last year now, with ever-increasing impact.

They most likely COULD revert to what they had before, but are too stingy to do so.
    There'd probably be higher licence-cost involved.
    Instead, they're trying to "minimize" the impact on us by taking resources from your server, which is why you notice it a bit more than before.

Ever since they've made this change to their chat-system last year, these problems have been around.
    Only on a barely noticeable level for you, while VERY noticeable for us.
    Perhaps the "good" from you suffering more noticeable now too will be that they DO invest a bit into their chat-system instead of only administering the deficiency.
  8. Drusi Augur

I wonder if disabling cross server chat would help? That is assuming DBG does not have the money to pay to fix this.

I mean it used to be neat to talk to people on other servers and serverwide class chats. but those times are gone.

Now it is mostly people cross selling Chase drops in general.
  9. Muvandog Journeyman

The OP is not describing chat lag (which also exists, and may have also gotten worse), but rather 'screen freeze' or lockup for 2-3 seconds at a time. It's a complete freeze: can't move, rotate FOV, camera angle, no keyboard input does anything, and screen is unchanged for a couple seconds.

It "feels" like client-side lag, and I suppose it could be due to poor integration with the chat server, but .. man.. that seems really unlikely.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Don't think this is related to chat server. Normal lag will cause you to die when fighting but this seems to stutter and all action is stopped then it starts up again and you can cast/bash/kill whatever without dieing.

Tunare and 7th are same server btw.
  11. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Thanks for the replies, glad to know it's not just our server that is affected. We happened to have a "new" expansion release on the 13th which is around when the problem started (for us at least) so I had initially attributed it to higher than average population spike, but the problem has persisted for over a week now and is still occurring in non-peak hours so I don't think that is the problem.
  12. Moege Augur

What is happening AB fixes is being rolled out to other server so that in a few months time we can all quit.
    Imrahil and Yinla like this.
  13. -xeus- New Member

This doesn’t seem like a chat lag to me? It’s like the network shows normal but the zone lagged for a second or 3. Can be fighting a boss mob and everything almost too quickly stops outputting chat/melee spam, and all fighting animations start at the same time... and the whole guild experiences this even if it’s very quick.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  14. Amethystia Daughter of Innoruuk, Champion of the Master Race

This is more than chat lag. Its short bursts of incredibly destructive lag. Our entire raid will spike at the same time. Super annoying. Please address this.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

AB's issues are spreading, maybe you should all move to Vox. LOL
  16. Reval Augur

The issues seem to be based on locking of resources when they shouldn't be locked. That's my guess.

I've had issues with lag on screen with locking and delays. Looks drastically like graphics lag. If I click a button when it is like this (enslavor burn was a great example) it will sometimes pick up the button the lag is so great. It's like an everything lag. And then I do /loginterval 10 to lower the amount of tax that logging has and it's clear. Everything clears up. It's suddenly eq again vs a dumpster fire. They've got some resource locking situation where logging affects graphical lag, and this has been for a long time.

Maybe this can't be fixed. Maybe this just is what it is. But that's what I see.
  17. fransisco Augur

happening on bertox a ton too.
  18. Belexes ForumQuester

Saw it happening on EM server last night.
  19. sojero One hit wonder

With the recent stability issues, it makes me feel bad for the new xpac since stability was mentioned before the xpac!
  20. Laeadern Elder

Getting it on The Rathe as well, been bad for about 2-3 weeks.