Massive Ban Hammer Mega Discussion

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dartmon65, Jul 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacDubh TABLES!!!

If someone starts something that they know to be illegal they typically know the risks associated with it. If you speed you know you risk a speeding ticket. If that is a risk you were willing to accept in order to start the task then there is nothing that is going to get you to stop speeding until you receive the punishment other than you decide to change of your own good will.

The 3 strike system works, the part that will stop someone cheating is when they hit their risk limit. If they are willing to risk a 7 day suspension they start cheating. When they get caught then they decide is it worth risking a 14 day suspension. Once the 14 day suspension hits they have the final chance, do you want to risk losing your account. Typically this is where people will draw the line, risk losing a character will almost always result in stopping (at minimum on that account). This person may choose to quit regardless but at least during all of this there is a chance the person will reform their ways, become a player who does not use 3rd party, and continue to contribute to DPG's revenue.

That is the explanation. I am sorry but no one here can agree with your line of logic, we have pages of posts which show this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I have been responding to the idea that a single punishment should wipe out all cheating up to that point. I will keep saying that doing it like that will give players no incentive to stop cheating until they get caught and can actually reward them for not stopping.
    minimind likes this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, I disagree with that statement as I have always been on the side that wiping out all cheating actions is not the way to go and that Daybreak should be doing punishment as they see fit.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If they know the risks they should be willing to accept the punishments that they get from their actions. If Daybreak choses to do a single punishment that is fine, if they chose to do multiple that is also fine or if they chose to make it worse each time and end with a ban that is also fine.
    minimind likes this.
  5. Cicelee Augur

It doesn't wipe the suspensions, so that repeated cheating only results in a 7 day suspension. You still have the three strike rule of 7 days, 14 days, account ban.

What it does is reset the timer to zero. So if you cheat and get caught, you get 7 days. That never gets wiped. Anything before the suspension doesn't get wiped, but is no longer susceptible (sp) to punishment. Now if you decide to play nice and clean and not cheat... isn't that what we want? A game w/o cheating?

But if you decide to cheat after that 7 day and you get caught... 14 days. Again the 14 day suspension is not wiped, that second cheating is documented and notated on your account but not wiped, but you can no longer be punished for previous cheating before the 14 day. Again, if you are stupid enough to cheat a third time, bye bye account.

I think the fact I had to type all that out speaks volumes that are not necessarily good volumes...
  6. Gnothappening Augur

Odd. On my page that reply wasn't to you and I even quoted the other person. This isn't the first time someone has mentioned something like this happening.
    minimind likes this.
  7. MacDubh TABLES!!!

I have seen people who got their first suspension and were so afraid of losing their account they stopped playing the account all together and still got hit with another suspension.

How is that helpful. I said it before, if you want a tough stance on cheating it should be 1st offence ban, or a 3 strike type method if you wish to allow reform. What you are pushing doesn't help from either perspective, it just adds randomness and confusion.
    Gnothappening likes this.
  8. FranktheBank Augur

We're in a loop. You said you think we should encourage people to stop cheating [before they are punished]. Please provide a solution, thank you.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And why exactly should a player stop cheating before they get caught?
  10. Cicelee Augur

1. Get caught cheating, permanent account ban.

OR

2. Get caught cheating, 7 day suspension. If you get caught cheating after that suspension, 14 day suspension. If caught cheating after that suspension, account ban.

What is YOUR solution to the issue being discussed? Not DBG solution, but YOUR solution?
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Provide a solution for something I don't think is a problem? I can't disagree with your idea to let a single punishment wipe out all other cheating that has already occurred? I can't think that letting Daybreak punish as they see the need to? That they can't hit someone with a punishment multiple times if they feel that is needed?
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

1. If that is what Daybreak decides that is what will happen.

2. What problem? My solution is to let Daybreak take the actions they feel are needed and not try to dictate to them about how they should handle cheaters and their punishment.
  13. FranktheBank Augur

Ok, so you admit there is a flaw (in not encouraging ppl to stop cheating before punishment) but have no solution. Thank you for your contrarian stance.
  14. Wildmandaniel New Member

Why should they stop cheating at all under the current system?
  15. Cicelee Augur

Depends on the person?

If they are someone like me with 22 years of their life invested into a character and they enjoy playing EQ and don't want to see all of the time and work into their character(s) go poof, then that feels incentive enough to not cheat?

I am not saying all cheaters will stop cheating if caught. And honestly, cheaters are going to cheat until they are caught. But getting caught and realizing the punishment and situation may cause some to change. Which I believe is something you do not believe- that some cheaters who get caught can reform and change.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why do I have to have a solution that you approve of? What is wrong with leaving it in the hands of Daybreak who has the information around what the player did to break the rules and why they got punished? Just leave the punishment to Daybreak and the people who get punished can appeal that punishment if they so desire.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure but that doesn't mean we need a blanket once you get punished you won't get punished for anything you did prior to the punishment. Some people will stop cheating and others will keep cheating until caught.
  18. Branntick Augur

Why do you feel the incessant need to try to shut down discussion around a system people believe is flawed? Your argument is basically "delete the forums, Daybreak knows best".

You aren't contributing anything of value to the actual topic.
    FranktheBank likes this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How am I shutting anything down with my objections to an idea? I am simply stating that we should leave the punishment up to Daybreak.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is taking a position against the idea that once you get punished it should cancel out all other cheating actions that you have taken up to that point. I am free to have my own opinion and respond out to people who respond to me. In the end it needs to be remembered that this is their game and they are in charge of what a punishment is and if repeat punishment should happen.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.