Mangler Player Stepping Out (Cancellation)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hateborne, May 12, 2019.

1. code-zero Augur

It's cute that you have a particular narrative stuck in your head that you just can't let go of
  2. Corydon Augur

QFT. I said it somewhere else: Love it, change it or leave it.
    Changing is not so much an option in this case so you know what to do...
    andross77 likes this.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

That is a crazy stretch. Like mind-boggling crazy.
  4. Machentoo Augur

There have only been two TLP's to ever make it to HoT. Yes, Phinny has better population going into HoT than Fippy did, but only slightly. There were still three active guilds on Fippy at the start of HoT, compared to what looks like five or six on Phinny at this point? Either way, not much of a sample size. Out of all the TLP's to date, only Fippy, Vulak and Phinny could have possibly reached HoT.
  5. Elemenopi Augur

I wonder which is the cause and which is the effect.

I think those shilling in every thread have it backwards.
  6. Jezzie Augur

The point I was trying to make is that Phinny should not have a higher population than Coirnav. The main difference in the servers was the amount of 3rd party software being used/abused and that's why Coirnav is struggling.
    Mangler has more 3rd party software use/abuse than Coirnav so it would make sense if they release a 21st anniversary TLP then Mangler is going to suffer probably worse than Coirnav when it comes to retaining any sort of population.
    The aftermath of the 3rd party software abuse is a server with extremely low population. GoD and Omens are awesome expansions, much more fun with a healthy population but if people are going to lock down content and AE wipe zones then I don't see another TLP making it that far which is an absolute shame.
  7. Xanathol Augur

This is mostly false. PNP worked just fine. Liars were easily found out. Rotations didn't work because of the pop pushing for the limited content - instancing was needed & solved it. There wasn't anything wrong with enforcing PNP and there's nothing stopping them today other than a lack of caring.
    Meridian likes this.
  8. Grailer Augur

To fix problem just open a couple of new TL servers.

Then there will be tons of room to camp .
  9. Machentoo Augur

Nah, I disagree. There is a bigger difference. Phinny was the first of its kind. That's given it a big advantage over the copies that have come after it. Players that actually wanted to reach HoT had no reason to start over on Coirnav, Mangler, etc.

Not to downplay the significance of the 3rd party software. That does make a difference too. Although it was there on Phinny on day 1, just not as prominent.
    Aegir likes this.
  10. Aegir Augur

That is very true, Machen.

Also take a good look at what at the new TLP servers that launched during Phinny's first years.

First came Brekt, an Event server that mostly played on casually while we were waiting for Luclin.

Then Came Agnarr, a PoP Locked Server that attracted the player-base from Phinigel that didn't had any interest progressing past PoP ( Phinny was in PoP when Agnarr launched).

Then came Coirnav which basically was a Phinny Clone that only attracted players from Phinigel who's guilds was struggling to keep progressing or already had folded, but still had the energy and will to start all over again.

Now we have Mangler and Selo. These attract phinny players that are missing getting quick into PUGs, because that aspect of the game is basically dead for Phinigel as it has progressed to a more modern live server.

Coirnav basically have to compete with a Ruleset from Mangler that is more appealing to the majority of the playerbase and Selo which appeals to those who wants to rush through content that they missed out on Phinigel. This is a year after Coirnav Launched. Phinigel had almost 3 and half year worth of progression before a server with a somewhat improved ruleset launched(faster base exp).
  11. Groans Augur

Far as i know, they dont ban cheaters in EQ2, I think they have a prison server or something where they send cheaters, they are allowed to cheat on that server. Last time i played at least thats what they said they were doing.
  12. Dmsizzle99 New Member

Meh. Sucks that you are frustrated, but you must be doing something wrong to not be able to find groups. EQ is a social game, so you need to reach out to people and start forming relationships and actively look for people to go on adventures with. It isn't that hard.

I hear all the complaints about botters and have run into some, but more of the shady stuff in game has happened with guilds like Relentless Incontinence. There are still tons of zones with numerous picks, options etc. Mind bottling how someone can't find their way in it and things will open up even more in Kunark.
  13. Tierdal Augur

lol @ people on Mangler.
    andross77 likes this.
  14. Gremin Augur

Ragefire seems to be chugging along just fine even with 3 months and voting to open new expansions. I believe we have 5 raid guilds currently who have beaten PoR and a few still working on it. Guess we will see if we hit HoT.
  15. Kahna Augur

They have a server you can be banished to. They didn't banish the cheaters found on their newest TLE. They banned them, flat out, no warnings, no appeals, no petitioning to be moved to Drunder (the prison server) instead. They aren't playing around over there and it's had an impact.
  16. Groans Augur

well they normally dont tell customers what actions they are taking. I seriously doubt they got perma banned, maybe a 3 day, unless you have a link dgb said they were banning them? I played on vz then zek for years and finally left because of the cheating which was very blatant and no one got perma banned there so im a little sceptical.
  17. Ceffener Augur

Price was increased to $12.95 in 2002, and $14.99 in 2005. Subscription was $9.95 in 99.

(Also had 450k+ people buying expansions vs 20-30k whatever the number is now. Very different amount of revenue coming in. )
  18. 850heretoplay New Member

Not to troll, but in 1999 the price was $9.89/month as a tribute to 989 studios. Js. :)
  19. McGuinness_001 New Member

Biggest reason I didn't start up on Mangler is the old world was just too small with all the 40-50 folks crammed into the same few dungeons.... picks alleviate this but don't fix it entirely. Others don't seem to mind the crowded dungeons and that's fine, to each their own and such. I'm sure if Mangler is that full it won't miss a few players who can't handle the throng or just have no desire to.

They don't want to hire more GM's for the same reason wages are not staying with inflation... It cuts into the bottom line, PROFIT.... They could afford some more GM's but they'd have to make a little less money which isn't how businesses work... Every year the amount of money coming in from players gets smaller so the only way they can make it seem like they're not making less money is to reduce overhead thus keeping the profit margin reasonably intact.
  20. Bosworth New Member

hello i just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on the matter. the guy who started this post i totally agree with ya. back in my day ever-quest was awesome! people everywhere and tons of groups to get and the PEOPLE was AMAZING back then. there was respect in the game with all players and all guilds and if you asked for help in world chat people would help out from everywhere and different guilds to.so to make a long story short, that was ever-quest to me,.but now it's just greed/bots/trains/gate.the new generation has destroyed the game for me not the people who built the game, but they always get the blame!
    andross77 likes this.