Mangler - Pet Focus items not working?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by jeskola, Mar 30, 2019.

1. jeskola pheerie

On Mangler, I acquired the Magician pet focus items from the Temple of Solusek Ro quest. It seems they are not working. I know Focus Effects are disabled on Mangler, but Pet Focus is original EQ era and should be active. There is no message in the item description stating this effect is disabled on these items.
  2. Zansobar Augur

It should be working unless it says disabled on the item. Those focus items don't add much to pet power, I can't remember if they give you the message that they glow when you summon a pet here or not either.
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

They don't gain any levels or hit any harder with the classic focus items. The only easily measurable difference is it increases their max HP. I'd try having someone cast the same nuke spell on both a focused and unfocused pet of the same type to see if the pet's HP drops by the same % from the same DD. Use a bigger DD for a more obvious difference.

I have no idea if they are working or not on Mangler, but that is how you'd test it.
    snailish likes this.
  4. Telvanus Journeyman

I've been wondering if they are working as well. It would help if I knew exactly what the focus does, as I get conflicting stories. Some say it adds a level or 2 to the pet, some say just a hp boost. I've also heard it adds to multiple stats. If it is supposed to add levels then it is not working. As for hp or other stats, I have not tested this. They are also not giving any special indication they are working like the aforementioned "x item glows with power" when used.
  5. Arclyte Augur

Unless it's been changed, the low-level Mage pet focus items (Stein/Broom/Torch/Shovel) increase the pet's size and increase it's HP. The Elemental Staves you get from phinny / Pohate etc buff the lvl 49+ pets the same way, and also increase their summoned level
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

The easiest way is to see if they grow bigger in size.
  7. jeskola pheerie

They didn't. I am going to do the dual nuke hp test this morning.
  8. Neldarion Lorekeeper

Why isn't there a pet tab on the inventory UI. Would be nice to see all the pet statistics, HP, AC, Avoidance, ATK rating, Max DMG Per Hit. Guessing everything isn't fun or immersive.
  9. jeskola pheerie

ok, I tested. They are getting more HP with the focus item. The physical size is not changing, the level isn't changing, the max hit and proc isn't changing, but I verified they are getting more HP in a duel test with a nuke.
  10. Neldarion Lorekeeper

Isn't it around 200 hp? I tested it like 3 years ago but forgot now.
  11. Zansobar Augur

It's one of the things missing from EQ...a pet tab should show that and all the armor/weapon items the pet has equipped. Remember there are a lot of armor slot on pets that are invisible to the user and if a pet is given an item it will equip it but there is no way to see this...it's a HUGE oversight to not have a full pet tab with stats/inventory slots visible.
    Accipiter likes this.
  12. Boze TLP complaint factory

Not really an oversight, pets have changed pretty dramatically from 20 years ago, and who knows if it's even possible for them to put something like that in given how many pets there are for each pet focus within each pet spell. It'd be the single best QoL improvement they could add for pet classes though.
    snailish likes this.
  13. Quik Augur

Just an FYI, the pet focus items stein/torch/shovel/broom only added about 25% to their HP pool. In classic they did NOT add levels or power or stats, and during classic it never gave a msg it was working or doing anything, you literally had to test by having someone attack the pet and count the HP's.
    Ulain likes this.