Mangler or Firiona Vie?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Nirrtix, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Nirrtix Journeyman

I am returning after a long hiatus, I am starting over and am not sure what server would be best. I worry that Mangler will be too far along and nearing its stage where people leave the server. However, I know if I join Firiona Vie I will face a long solo campaign before I can finally group.

Considering I am starting over What would be good classes to play for farming and independence, as well has having raid viability end game?
  2. Protagonist Tank

Mangler is top-heavy, yes. It's possible to find groups while leveling up if you play in the main timezones - but it'll require initiative. And you're not wrong that the announced impending server/end of PoP means Mangler will have a population exodus.

That said, if you only want to play a couple of months, it's probably still a good choice.

On the other hand - If you subscribe (required to play on Mangler anyway) and log in before the end of the month, you get a free Heroic character currently. That's a level 85 with a reasonable set of starting gear and some cash. Additionally, since you're subscribed you'll get all your AAs autogranted while leveling up.

So, if you want to play longer term - you have an unusual opportunity to get a head start, currently.
  3. ntellect Augur

You asked multiple questions. 1) what server should I play (assumed by your first paragraph) 2) what class to play. Both of which are really subjective and influenced by they way you intend to the play game. None of which we have.

But with that said I'll say if you want to have a classic experience with modern supplements Mangler would be your best choice. Its the most populous TLP and I've been finding groups every night leveling up my paladin.

If on the other hand you want to experience current EQ which is vastly different and has options to solo (molo) reasonably then I'd say join FV. You have NPC characters for a duo, a guided leveling path, and convenient armor options for the majority of the early game. Groups are harder to find lower level but exist if you look for them.

In any case I'd recommend actively seeking a guild that fits your playstyle as it makes the experience infinitely more fun and provides support for the long leveling path you are embarking on.

In terms of class, I'm the type to say play what you love or fits your fantasy as that is more than likely the character you will commit too long term regardless of buff or nerf. If you play the class that can solo, or can tank and DPS, and being to take down named alone you run the risk of commiting to mechanics that may not fit how you intended to play which just ends up in frustration or quitting.

If you are still on the fence, then I'd say test out all the classes you are interested in. Miragul is a great server for this as it will give you an idea of what to expect from current EQ as each character you create is automatically 85. Once you find the one that fits you, roll on FV and start your adventure.