Mangler Launch Guide for Returning Players

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Starshape, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Starshape Elder

Link to old version: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...rr-launch-guide-for-returning-players.240223/

Put this together for players that are returning to the game - updated for Mangler.

What will launch be like?

This will depend on your opinion of crowds, but it's going to feel like beautiful chaos. The starting cities will be packed and there will be an excited rush of players everywhere. One of the most common things you will run into is people asking what server you played on back in the day?

What will groups be like?

Groups will be plentiful and picks will be exploding. Most people will be just excited to joke around in group chat and make some friends. Crowding will happen so you might find yourself in a weird group camping an odd part of the zone. Places like Crushbone, Blackburrow and Befallen will have 2-3 groups in an area where you might be used to just having one. For the most part it's not an issue, just mobs can sometimes be slow.

You most likely won't see the small percentage of the server that is racing for the first dragon kills. They'll either be done with the popular zones by the time we all get to them, or will be in obscure leveling spots /anon most of the time.

Should I play Rogue/Ranger/Warrior/Paladin/etc?

Any class is honestly fine. Don't listen to anyone that tells you otherwise. Sure monks will do more dps than other melees and casters will have an advantage in the very early days, but you should play what you find fun.

As an example, I've never seen anyone deny a Rogue that is LFG during the early server rush, despite them not doing as much dps as other classes. From my experience only 1 in 100 people will say 'Don't add <thatclass> we only want <another pet class/enc>'

Remember that most players don't even check the forums, they just want to relive Everquest :)

But what about <class X> for raiding?

If this is the first time you have come back for a TLP since playing 'back in the day' then honestly don't worry about raids right now.

The majority of players that roll up won't make max level. The wave of nostalgia is amazing, but even with the accelerated experience set to Ragefire/Lockjaw launch level there will be attrition.

Once you start getting into the late 20s and 30s the rush of being in Norrath again will fade a little and you'll remember that grinding is a thing. It's still awesome, it's just a natural point where people start dropping out.

The best thing you can do is to roll the class that you're going to love leveling up with. The server will be expansion locked so you can always alt something up later.

What should I do before launch day?

My personal recommendation is to not play Everquest, as tempting as it would be right now. Save all of that energy for the launch tomorrow :)

If you just can't help it though, here's some things that can get you slightly ahead for launch:

• Go roll a level 1 and kill things and get used to the advanced loot system. If you haven't played on live servers in a while this will take you by surprise. It's good when you get used to it, at first it will be like 'wth is this?'
    • Setup your UI. Things will look a little different at first, like the updated spell gems. But you can tweak to your hearts content over at http://www.eqinterface.com/ (including old spell gems). Note you can load up the UI of another character, so you can set yours up for your new char in advance.
    • Another UI note - personally i do not like the 'tabbed' chat that was just introduced. You can get rid of if with this mod: https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6769
    Turn off Luclin/updated models (because classic!)

Tips and tricks for leveling:

Almars guides are great! http://www.almarsguides.com/eq/progression/

Some other tips (many taken from this old thread: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/early-tlp-tips-tricks.228722/ ):

• You can sell your starting robe for enough money to buy a spell, helps those early levels go faster. Nerfed.
    • You get Origin at level 5, it's a free gate to your starting city. Keep in mind most cities will also have a Soulbinder.
    • You spawn with all your items now, so in the early levels you can punch a guard to get a free trip to outside the city (but you die!).
    • There are pickzones now. Basically overflow instances when something gets too crowded. You access it with /pick Note - it doesn't work in cities (it will work in GFAY but not Felwithe, etc).
    • Even with the nerfed quest experience, a lot of low level quests are good money, such as the fed ex quests between cities. Look up your starting city quests ahead of time: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=going postal

What about Boxing? Will it be everywhere?

The worst boxing on TLP launch was Ragefire imo. Even then there were so many people not boxing that it felt like maybe 15% of the players you saw at launch were boxing. The thing to keep in mind is boxers are highly visible. If you run past 10 regular groups you think nothing of it, if you see one group of AmageX AmageX2 you go '******* boxers' and remember it.

Phinigel launch there were hardly any full-box groups, it was super rare, same thing on Agnar and Coirnav. Nowadays you see a few more boxers due to the maturity of the servers, but by and large the True Box code works and only the most determined get around it.

What about KSing?

Everywhere will be packed, so there's going to be some rubbing shoulders between pullers for mobs. By and large every launch is pretty much fine. Some accidental ksing in the noob areas and maybe a puller or two who is a little more enthusiastic. It's really not a big deal and people are respectful.

When you get higher up in level there's only a couple of camps where it can sometimes get crazy, like Efreeti. But for the most part camp calls etc are respected (with some exceptions).

What is the biggest secret of TLP?

That all classes are viable and you should play the most fun thing! Also in general TLP communities are pretty great, it's why I keep coming back. You get to relive the greatest eras of the greatest MMO all over again.

If this doesn't get you in the mood I don't know what will!

Resources:

Pirlo, Fallfyres, Thundun and 8 others like this.
  2. Nuther Augur

Going Postal

Felwithe to Kelethn - 3gp
    Kaladim to Kelethin - 6gp
    Butcherblock Docks to Kelethin - 6gp
    Freeport to Kelethin - 9gp
    Kelethin to Freeport - 9gp

This is a decent way to get from level 1 to level 2 if all the spawns are being killed too fast.
    Rulu and Fallfyres like this.
  3. Psalmz Elder

Add Postal route: Erudin to Qeynos - 6gp
    Rulu and Fallfyres like this.
  4. Stagentti Augur

From launch at 3pm EST until about 10pm EST you'll probably get as far leveling wise as someone who logs in at 10pm and plays until midnight lol.

Login servers will be better but still a mess. Lag. Slow loading zones. Not enough mobs to kill, etc.
  5. Starshape Elder

Agree, but it's also a once a year event and not to be missed imo. Maybe i just like the mayhem :)
    Fallfyres and Thundun like this.
  6. Stagentti Augur

Oh yeah 100%. Was just making a joke.

You could tell me today, with utmost certainty, it will take no less than 2 hours to log in and another 2 to make it out of Kaladim and I would still be on at launch mashing the log in button over and over lol.

The mayhem is a lot of fun and I don't know why and I don't even care :).
    Fallfyres and Thundun like this.
  7. Starshape Elder

So much this :)
    Stagentti likes this.
  8. Protagonist Tank

9. a_librarian Augur

-Install a map pack. Brewalls is good http://www.eqmaps.info/eq-map-files/

-Remember the Find window exists. Hit Ctrl-F and it can point you to zone lines and sometimes NPCs.

-Shift-B opens all your bags at once. There is a command to open all bank bags but that needs to be bound manually

-You can sell the contents of a bag at a vendor by clicking on the bag in your main inventory screen. It will list everything in the bag and prompt you to sell all the contents for the total price. Be very careful you don't sell the wrong bag of stuff this way though

-/leave general

-You can shorten the /ignore command to just /i. Use this early and often on toxic idiots in global channels