Mangler Enchanter, can't get charm-killing to work.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by NilSun, Oct 18, 2020.

1. NilSun New Member

Hey all, new player here, I chose enchanter to level as they seemed fun to play in a group setting, but I decided to try to level a bit myself since groups at lower levels seem few and far between.
    I just reached level 11 and got the Charm spell and decided to try out the most heavily recommended method of leveling.

I tried following videos and reading guides on charm killing but I am having some practical issues with it.

I chose to play a Dark Elf, partially because of the Hide-ability, seeing many recommend it as a great way of breaking charms for no mana cost, but I've only managed to break charm twice in about 3 hours worth of testing it out, the other times the mob just remained charmed even though I hid successfully from what I can tell, and the long cooldown on the ability means my charmed mob always gets the kill and the xp long before I have a second attempt at using the skill.
    Since that didn't work I also tried the Taper Enchantment-skill on my charmed mob and that apparently doesn't do anything either, I've cast it on charmed mobs about 50 times just to see if I was unlucky with RNG but it has never broken a charm.
    So I am suspecting that I am just misunderstanding some hidden qualifiers to get a successful charm break.

The only way I have been able to consistently break charms is with the Invisibility spell, but that comes with a high mana cost, a cooldown, and the charmed enemy just runs away full sprint back to it's spawn, making me chase it down waiting for my cooldown.

How exactly am I supposed to make charm killing work, does Hide have some hidden qualifier that I must get out of LoS or something?
    Feeling like abandoning the character at this point since I've only done like 5 successful pulls in about as many hours trying different things.
  2. Gialana Augur

Classes that get the ability "hide" can increase their skill in it. Races that have the ability (assuming it's not a class that also has the ability), cannot increase their skill and tend to have very low skill. So when you hide but your charm doesn't break, that means you've failed the skill check. Your hotkey will stay on cooldown to prevent you knowing when you hid successfully.

You can consider an npc which doesn't normally consider indifferent or you can ask another character if the name above your head is in parenthesis to know if your hide is successful.

Until you're high enough level that the mana cost of invisibility doesn't much matter, you can instead have your charmed pet kill another mob.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

4. NilSun New Member

Ah, I see, I looked in my skillwindow and saw that my current ability was capped at 50 and thought I couldn't increase it past that.
    I guess it's guildmasters that let you skill in the Hide ability and raise the cap?

Might just be better off like you said doing some additional damage mob I intend to kill and just keep my charmed mob charmed indefinately.
    Thanks for your responses!

Do I need to do a certain percent of damage to get full xp? Or is full xp never an option when a pet does some damage to a mob?
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

You can't skill up Hide at all. It's forever capped at 50. It's probably successful like... 1 in 4 times or so? The best options are instant click invis items such as cloudy potions, Goblin Gazughi Ring, or Boots of the Mosquito. The latter two are pretty expensive. Simply casting invis on yourself gets less mana prohibitive once you've gained a few more levels.

You will get full xp as long as you do at least 1 damage to the mob.
  6. Vrar New Member

i really wouldn't bother with charm at that level, unless you want to experiment. the animations work well at low levels, and DoT/fear works well too